Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

hey guys just picked up a iphone 6 today when applying screen protector I noticed towards the top left (beside volume rocker) the screen appears to click and pushes in slightly .. will be bringing back to exchange straight away. I searched YouTube and on apple forums this does appear to be a common fault .. has anyone on here had same issue ?

I've noticed a similar clicking sound when I press that exact area, plus at the bottom right corner.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just got the 6 today and I really think the size is perfect. Stepping up from the 4s and the benefits are huge for me.

Photos and videos look great. Even the lock screen photo looks great with all that extra space.

Even the music app shows covers much better with the larger screen.

It sits good in my hand and to be honest I don't get the reachability issue.

I do not see the need for one handed use.

Texting is still easy to do and the only issue is reaching the top corners but how often do you need to do that?

The "reachability" function works quite well and I'm sure more apps will incorporate it with future updates.
    I still don't see the big issue with two handed use now and then. Probably more secure that way too from theft if using in public.

People complaining about the size realise that things move on and 4.7 inch had definitely become the norm and Apple had to respond. People found the first iPhones too big when they first came out so it's just a question of adapting.

I do believe though that this is the maximum size I'd like for a phone.

Now debating getting a cover or not as I hate covering iPhones but I suppose it does need protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

hey guys just picked up a iphone 6 today when applying screen protector I noticed towards the top left (beside volume rocker) the screen appears to click and pushes in slightly .. will be bringing back to exchange straight away. I searched YouTube and on apple forums this does appear to be a common fault .. has anyone on here had same issue ?

This happened with my 4s but that was 2 years old. That's ware and tear.

New phone, You pay enough for them. Send it back straight away to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

murpho999 wrote: »
    Texting is still easy to do and the only issue is reaching the top corners but how often do you need to do that?

The "reachability" function works quite well and I'm sure more apps will incorporate it with future updates.

Top left: every single time you need to go back a page or menu item. As not all apps have implemented the swipe from left to right to replace that action.

As far as I know, the double tap Reachability function is built into iOS so will work with all apps without needing developer uptake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

After a weekend with the phone I do like the camra. It's a vast improvement over the one used in the 5 and the front facing camera is great also. Touch ID is great though I do find myself forgetting to use it! I'm sure I'll get used to that. The screen quality is fantastic! Photos look great and I also love the Auto HDR feature on the camera. I haven't tried out the time lapse or slo mo functions yet but I'll get round to that in due course.

I still complain about the size of the phone. In fairness, in response to some posters here who say I needn't have upgraded, yes that's true however I was going to have to upgrade in the next year or two anyway as my phone got older and more outdated. Certainly in the next 3-4 years a new phone was on the cards. Apple haven't given the an option to buy a phone with all the improvements of the 6 with the form factor of the 5/5S. There is simply too much jumping around the screen to provide ease of use. There are plenty of scenarios where one-handed use is a desirable thing. Amongst them

* Carrying a child while needing to quickly respond to a text
    * Carrying a coffee/files and needing to make a note
    * Transitioning between flights in a hurry at an airport while needing to check flight information
    * Being incapacitated and only able to use one hand at a particular time.

I'm sure others could think of many, many more scenarios. Right now the phone feels too big and, even if I manage to jig it round on my fingers to enable me to use it one handed, there's a real possibility it'll just fall out of my hands and possibly get broken. Reachability is useful at times but it's two taps to activate which takes away the convenience. At this point I've come away feeling that Apple have gone the 'Me Too' route in that, just because Android devices are sporting 4.7" screens, they'll provide one too. the thing is though that I expect Apple to go the extra mule and provide something that's genuinely a joy to use and make you wonder why other manufacturers hadn't thought of it before. The wide screen and reachability just look like some half-assed effort you'd expect from Samsung. I know it's Tim's company now but I'd bet Steve would have gone apeshít if they'd presented the 6 as a finished product to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

squonk wrote: »
    After a weekend with the phone I do like the camra. It's a vast improvement over the one used in the 5 and the front facing camera is great also. Touch ID is great though I do find myself forgetting to use it! I'm sure I'll get used to that. The screen quality is fantastic! Photos look great and I also love the Auto HDR feature on the camera. I haven't tried out the time lapse or slo mo functions yet but I'll get round to that in due course.

I still complain about the size of the phone. In fairness, in response to some posters here who say I needn't have upgraded, yes that's true however I was going to have to upgrade in the next year or two anyway as my phone got older and more outdated. Certainly in the next 3-4 years a new phone was on the cards. Apple haven't given the an option to buy a phone with all the improvements of the 6 with the form factor of the 5/5S. There is simply too much jumping around the screen to provide ease of use. There are plenty of scenarios where one-handed use is a desirable thing. Amongst them

* Transitioning between flights in a hurry at an airport while needing to check flight information

I'm sure others could think of many, many more scenarios. Right now the phone feels too big and, even if I manage to jig it round on my fingers to enable me to use it one handed, there's a real possibility it'll just fall out of my hands and possibly get broken. Reachability is useful at times but it's two taps to activate which takes away the convenience. At this point I've come away feeling that Apple have gone the 'Me Too' route in that, just because Android devices are sporting 4.7" screens, they'll provide one too. the thing is though that I expect Apple to go the extra mule and provide something that's genuinely a joy to use and make you wonder why other manufacturers hadn't thought of it before. The wide screen and reachability just look like some half-assed effort you'd expect from Samsung. I know it's Tim's company now but I'd bet Steve would have gone apeshít if they'd presented the 6 as a finished product to him.

It's funny, my take away from seeing the 4.7" 6 was that it was quite small. Having had two phones with that screen (One X & One(M7)) I don't ever recall having an issue with them requiring two hands. However, I wasn't taking iOS into account. When you've got a feature like Reachability thats a sign that maybe you need to rethink your interface. I'm really missing a back button at the bottom of my Plus. Maybe Apple should take a page out of Windows Phone and focus the UI elements on the button portion of the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's funny, my take away from seeing the 4.7" 6 was that it was quite small. Having had two phones with that screen (One X & One(M7)) I don't ever recall having an issue with them requiring two hands. However, I wasn't taking iOS into account. When you've got a feature like Reachability thats a sign that maybe you need to rethink your interface. I'm really missing a back button at the bottom of my Plus. Maybe Apple should take a page out of Windows Phone and focus the UI elements on the button portion of the screen.

Strange argument. Reachability is to help users reach icons at the top of the screen, so how would a back button help that?
    I like that the iPhone only has the one button.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You also have to remember that iOS app developers have never had to design their apps knowing that some users won't be able to stretch to the top of the screen.

Hopefully, the bigger apps will be redesigned with clever tricks/layout options that will make navigating single-handed easier. It's very early days for big-screened Apple phones. :)

After getting used to it I'm using it one handed more or less all of the time without much difficultly and I didn't even know about the reachability thing until last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

1. Put child down
    2. Put files / coffee down
    3. Read the airport screens
    4. In that case, texting would be the last of your worries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

After a few days with my new 6 Plus:

- Less interaction with my iPad Mini (not a surprise)
    - Fantastic battery life, coming off my previous iPhone 5
    - Great screen, viewing angle, resolution. Hard to fault.
    - Fairly big in my pocket. Fit grand in yesterday's jeans but tries to slide horizontally in this pair :)
    - Paranoid as feck about dropping it. Couldn't find a case in town, and anything half-decent online is 'coming soon'.
    - Reachability mode is grand, but rarely need to use it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

Anyone else have "CE 0682" in pretty massive writing at the bottom on the back of their 6plus? its on all iPhones but considerably smaller and in a different place. I've also seen other plus' and its not near as big. :/ looks weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

BMmeow wrote: »
    Anyone else have "CE 0682" in pretty massive writing at the bottom on the back of their 6plus? its on all iPhones but considerably smaller and in a different place. I've also seen other plus' and its not near as big. :/ looks weird

I noticed during the announcement it was pretty big, any pics of yours? I read something a while back about the stamp being done away with or reduced. It ruins the design of a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's a "known issue", should be just replaced over the counter if you have the receipt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Impressions so far of iphone 6+:

Size: very big at first but has literally taken me two days to get used to it. Finding my own ways around using it one handed at times and I don't have big hands.

Battery: unbelievable, can't get the phone anywhere near below 20% and I've been using the phone a lot over the last few days. Hours at a time and barely a move in the battery.

Camera: excellent, much clearer and even the self facing camera is vastly improved. The aspect ratio I find annoying though. You have a big beautiful screen and you end up cutting out the top and bottom of photos with big black areas. Takes away from the photos a little bit compared to the android phones that take full use of the screens.

Display: beautiful and clear, videos, netflix, Sky go all look excellent on it. Not noticing a huge drop in quality of the stretched apps but will definitely be better with updates. Reading is obviously much easier and very clear.

Build quality: very nice build, lovely curves on it. Like the way it rounds of over the edges, nice and smooth. Have put a bumper on the back to protect it which I got in compu b for €14.99, gives a little more confidence when holding the phone.
    Girlfriends 5s now looks tiny in comparison.
    Have noticed no bending and it fits in the pockets of my jeans no problem, totally covered up and not sticking out at all. I wear regular jeans, none of this tight stuff. Probably going to be a bit more awkward with suit pants or maybe a pair of chinos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭zenit

Got a 6 plus and cannot find fault. I upgraded from a 4s. Size is an issue, but one handed use is not one of mine as I always tended to use two. Screen quality is outstanding, Netflix etc are fantastic. My iPad use is way down because the size is more practical as a media device. Battery life is the major benefit so far.
    If you are on the fence and have big pockets in every sense, go for the plus.
    Ps. Had great fun with the slo mo camera tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

iPhone 6 won't pick up my wifi automatically.

There's three networks on the list and none belong to me.

If I enter the name and password manually it works though.

Any fix for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

Anyone find orientation a bit slow to react or does not work sometimes on iphone 6 +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

zenit wrote: »
    Got a 6 plus and cannot find fault. I upgraded from a 4s. Size is an issue, but one handed use is not one of mine as I always tended to use two. Screen quality is outstanding, Netflix etc are fantastic. My iPad use is way down because the size is more practical as a media device. Battery life is the major benefit so far.
    If you are on the fence and have big pockets in every sense, go for the plus.

Ps. Had great fun with the slo mo camera tonight.

Ah here! Does it make it look 6 plus too?? Hehe

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cramp wrote: »
    Anyone find orientation a bit slow to react or does not work sometimes on iphone 6 +

hit and miss on my 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Latios

Yeah it's really really slow to react on my 6+, other times it'll immediately jump into landscape mode with the slightest of tilts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Seems a bit laggy alright.

I can't stress how much I love touch ID. I've been jealous of the idea since it came out on the 5S and with the 6 it seems to be extremely consistent. I've an irrational hatred of passwords/unlock codes on phones and therefore never used them.... Which had me having many moments of panic over the years when I couldn't locate my phone. Camera is great. Surprised at how slow it's taking apps to update. Small part of the draw to iOS was Knights of the Old Republic on my phone - which be fuked on the plus.

I do miss Android.

I notice my 6 keeps dropping off my network and displaying the 3G ident rather than the wifi ident. As soon as you turn the screen on though it shifts to wifi a second later. Strange behavior.

dodzy wrote: »
    1. Put child down
    2. Put files / coffee down
    3. Read the airport screens
    4. In that case, texting would be the last of your worries

Good man! Any more pearls of wisdom? You appear to know it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I wish Facebook and whatsapp would hurry up with their updates...the apps look like the 3G screen at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I wish Facebook and whatsapp would hurry up with their updates...the apps look like the 3G screen at the moment.

Skype updated just today and it looks so much better now as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

And Facebook has now been updated too! Looks miles better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

YouTube updated today for iPhone 6, fixes mention a few problems I was having with the top bar overlapping, and the scrubbing bar not recognising touches.

I've not noticed any problems with apps tbh. I've display zoom turned on though, maybe that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Come on Whatsapp!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Come on Whatsapp!
    Ha - was just about to post that! Grainy graphics are grainy!

Advertisement