Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Aye, but you could get two oneplus ones for the price of an iPhone and still have money left over for smokes ;)

Yet again, android users come here spouting that android is better and cheaper. We know and subsequently don't care. Do we see the same in the android forum on boards, nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

If anyone is looking for a glass screen protector for the 6, I just ordered this one - came in under a tenner delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NEN8F02/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My question was about whats new.

Size is the obvious thing, and associated higher resolution. and more battery life.

I don't necessarily think you want to be convinced.

Yet again, android users come here spouting that android is better and cheaper. We know and subsequently don't care. Do we see the same in the android forum on boards, nope!

It's hilarious to go to tech sites reviewing a phone and not see comments from people interested in the phone but the fleck spittled rantings of shut ins whose anger doesn't even make any sense. If you don't like a phone don't buy it.

I don't even follow Android releases. Let alone plague their reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

stimpson wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a glass screen protector for the 6, I just ordered this one - came in under a tenner delivered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NEN8F02/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?ref_=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Never had a screen protector on the 5 sold it today had it 2 years never had a scratch on the screen,had a scratch on the sides, black over the aluminium coating even tho had a case on the phone since day 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's hilarious to go to tech sites reviewing a phone and not see comments from people interested in the phone but the fleck spittled rantings of shut ins whose anger doesn't even make any sense. If you don't like a phone don't buy it.

I don't even follow Android releases. Let alone plague their reviews.

Ah lads, stop acting like little kids, I simply replied to the poster by saying the oneplus one is less than half price than the new iPhone, which it is.

If you want to debate that further by all means please do so but don't try to drag this into an apple vs android debate, we're all sick and tired of them.

Some people obviously not enjoying their saturday night and have their defence mechanisms in full flow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not a kid I'm enjoying my Saturday night like you can't imagine.

The topic is about iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 plus impressions, not how much a somehow comparable android phone is. Let's keep it to that, yeah?

Ah lads, stop acting like little kids, I simply replied to the poster by saying the oneplus one is less than half price than the new iPhone, which it is.

If you want to debate that further by all means please do so but don't try to drag this into an apple vs android debate, we're all sick and tired of them.

Some people obviously not enjoying their saturday night and have their defence mechanisms in full flow.

The price of the one plus is of no interest to peope here though. Whatever that is.

I wasn't really referencing you though. The comments sections on the tech crunch iPhone 6 review were hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Where did people source cases? Iphone 6 case not available to order from Apple.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Going back to the Galaxy Note. Absolutely stupid waste of money this. Feels slower and less productive than the Note 3. The Note 4 is gonna embarrass it. Apple really should make spec a priority again rather than make the phone as pretentious as possible.

It literally has no advantage over a 2 year old Android phone. Worst let down ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 gary9061

copacetic wrote: »
    Where did people source cases? Iphone 6 case not available to order from Apple.ie

you can get thousands of them on amazon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gary9061

test2014 wrote: »
    Going back to the Galaxy Note. Absolutely stupid waste of money this. Feels slower and less productive than the Note 3. The Note 4 is gonna embarrass it. Apple really should make spec a priority again rather than make the phone as pretentious as possible.

It literally has no advantage over a 2 year old Android phone. Worst let down ever.

just once again another android fan boy who's butt hurt because they want an iPhone but jut can't afford it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Cya then, android forum is that way
    > Good luck

I havent bought a new 6 yet as not due an upgrade but really looking forward to upgrading in next few months, finding it hard which to decide between, 6 or 6 plus!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If test2014 actually had a 6+ and has since rejected it then his review is as valid an anyone else's.

If not, well clearly it ain't worth much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

stimpson wrote: »

Why? This thread is about iPhone 6 and 6 plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Loving my iPhone 6 64gb (gold). Delighted I went up for launch. Huge step up from a 4S 16gb.

Still in awe at the 6 plus size from the demo models in store. No idea how anyone could use that as a phone.

gary9061 wrote: »
    just once again another android fan boy who's butt hurt because they want an iPhone but jut can't afford it!!

Youve just proven my point about it being nothing but 2 year old pretentious nonsense. Whats money got to do with it?
    Dades wrote: »
    If test2014 actually had a 6+ and has since rejected it then his review is as valid an anyone else's.

If not, well clearly it ain't worth much.

Indeed i did reject it.

Anyone here that can tell me why they are actually better than other phones?

Try be constructive rather than lower the thread to fanboy nonsense.

Youve just proven my point about it being nothing but 2 year old pretentious nonsense. Whats money got to do with it?

Indeed i did reject it.

Where did you get the iPhone? I don't think anybody would buy a phone - presumably by travelling to the UK - which he thinks is "2 year old pretentious nonsense". That's a bit odd.

I'm an iPhone fan and I don't get them in the first few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Where did you get the iPhone? I don't think anybody would buy a phone - presumably by travelling to the UK - which he thinks is "2 year old pretentious nonsense". That's a bit odd.

Game, set and match to Frank I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Magnate wrote: »
    Is it worth upgrading from a 5S to a 6 no? ..The 6 plus doesn't appeal to me to be honest.

I went from a 5S to the 6 and yep it's worth it in my opinion. Screen is a lot bigger and a pleasure to read on..I can read my ibooks on it now :)
    This whole nonsense about the 6 not being much of an upgrade over the 5s is rubbish...apart from screen size and battery and optical stabilisation there's nothing different between the 6 and 6plus.
    The 6 is the 5s successor while the 6 plus is a different category in the phablet sector.

Parents live on the border so it wasnt a big deal travelling to Enniskillen.

Also i expected a lot more to be honest. iPhones are usually pretentious but somewhat relevant. This time they are just plain below the curve. Literally nothing makes it better than for example my Previous/Present phone the Note 3.

Even the Note 3 isnt the best Phone out there now so Apple just plain dropped the ball and there only market left are people who buy them for the status. Any person who stands up and says the 6s is a more productive phone than the Note is just straight up biased and if you are of this opinion id love to hear a constructive argument on why you think that please rather than just call me a so called android fanboy. Which im not as ive always switched between them but not anymore.

I now see why Android has 85% of the smartphone market. This time next year itll likely be 95%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Multiple manufacturers use the android platform, only one uses IOS.

Go figure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

My thoughts after the first half day of use, iPhone 6.

Build quality is superb which is probably to be expected, the change in shape to the rounded edges makes the phone more comfortable to hold than the iPhone 5. There's barely a seam where the glass meets the aluminium and the small gap that was previously around the home button has almost vanished completely. If I were being really picky it would be around the lightning connector at the base of the phone which almost feels like it has a sharp corner rather than the rounded edges of the rest of the phone. I'll check if that's evident on other iPhones when I get the opportunity.

I'm not sure of the actual weights but it does feel lighter than the iPhone 5, that could be the new svelte design playing mind-games. The lower profile of the 6 is quite apparent both in the hand and when placed side-by-side with an iPhone5.

The screen is superb, bright and sharp with no discernible pixels but without suffering from the comic-style overly vivid colours of some of its competitors. I only had a very quick play with the camera but the sharpness of the images is immediately evident.

In use, iOS is super-smooth although I still have to check to see if Safari suffers from the same refresh annoyance that other iOS devices are afflicted with.

Siri has been 100% accurate so far even in a fairly noisy room with the TV on. This is a feature I largely ignored on previous models but I may try using it again now.

Upgrading from an iPhone 5, the fingerprint to unlock is new to me and so far I'm really impressed. Security that moves out of your way has to be a good thing for all mobile phone users. Press the home button then rest your finger back on it and the phone unlocks, no messing around sliding fingers across a scanner or multiple attempts required.

The iPhone 6 and iOS 8 continue Apples modus operandi of continuous incremental upgrades with many of the groundbreaking new functions almost hidden from your average phone user. Apple Pay, HomeKit, HealthKit and the inevitable WatchKit lay the groundwork for a world of integration options. It should be really interesting to see what 3rd party developers and manufacturers build on top of these new capabilities.

Cost wise, not much has changed with the iPhone 6 being broadly the same price as previous iPhone models.

Overall opinion, a good solid upgrade but you wouldn't ever describe it as cheap. Worth the outlay, for me yes YMMV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Indeed i did reject it.

See that's the thing. No one phone is substantially better than another these days. They all have their pros and cons and it comes down to each individual user to decide which phone they want.

To sit there and constantly post asking why is it better is if no concern to users as they have already decided that they want an iOS device and it doesn't matter if it's better than another phone be or on par.

I use android S3 for work and iOS for personal so I can see both sides of the arguments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

iPhones are usually pretentious but somewhat relevant.
    Whatever about 5 years ago there's nothing pretentious about an iPhone now because they are commonplace. You see everyone with them - even both my parents have one.

This notion that iPhone users are a particular demographic persists even though it no longer has any basis in reality, only in the heads of people who have a bit of a chip for whatever reason.

Dades wrote: »
    Whatever about 5 years ago there's nothing pretentious about an iPhone now because they are commonplace. You see everyone with them - even both my parents have one.

This notion that iPhone users are a particular demographic persists even though it no longer has any basis in reality, only in the heads of people who have a bit of a chip for whatever reason.

Being Pretentious has absolutely Nothing to do with being common or rare. Its a form of arrogance in a product. Overselling and underperforming. Bang for the Buck.

I would say a new phone with 2 year old spec thats twice as expensive as competitors with the same spec fits the bill to be honest.

Lets call a spade a spade here. iPhones aren't bleeding edge performance.

I honestly thought for years that all the iPhone needed was a bigger screen but what it needs is more Freedom for developers.

Theres obviously a market for it but i'm just giving my opinion on why i was extremely disappointed with it.

Anyway ive given my opinion so im out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Being Pretentious has absolutely Nothing to do with being common or rare. Its a form of arrogance in a product. Overselling and underperforming. Bang for the Buck.

I would say a new phone with 2 year old spec thats twice as expensive as competitors with the same spec fits the bill to be honest.

Lets call a spade a spade here. iPhones aren't bleeding edge performance.

I honestly thought for years that all the iPhone needed was a bigger screen but what it needs is more Freedom for developers.

Theres obviously a market for it but i'm just giving my opinion on why i was extremely disappointed with it.

Anyway ive given my opinion so im out.

I think the point your missing is specs don't always matter. I've seen a few benchmarks comparing the iPhone 6 to various phones including the S5 which has much better specs, yet the scores come really close, usually with the iPhone near the top. Also in this video comparing to the S5 for various tasks and again they're either neck and neck or both have faster aspects against the other.

One area that the iPhone does lack and needs an upgrade in would be RAM. 1Gb doesn't cut it for loading up multiple safari tabs or apps running in the background. But otherwise the specs don't matter when Apple has optimised iOS 8 to run really fast on the phone.

It's all about the user experience where Apple wins for me. Some people prefer Android and that's fine, they're not wrong. But don't come here with your 'two year old specs' argument because you probably saw that photo comparing it with the Nexus. Multiple reviews online have called it the best phone on the market, if the new iPhone was really that terrible there's noway anybody could make that claim. I've never heard anybody complain about the new iPhone running slowly, it's just not ever a problem.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think the point your missing is specs don't always matter. I've seen a few benchmarks comparing the iPhone 6 to various phones including the S5 which has much better specs, yet the scores come really close, usually with the iPhone near the top. Also in this video comparing to the S5 for various tasks and again they're either neck and neck or both have faster aspects against the other.

One area that the iPhone does lack and needs an upgrade in would be RAM. 1Gb doesn't cut it for loading up multiple safari tabs or apps running in the background. But otherwise the specs don't matter when Apple has optimised iOS 8 to run really fast on the phone.

It's all about the user experience where Apple wins for me. Some people prefer Android and that's fine, they're not wrong. But don't come here with your 'two year old specs' argument because you probably saw that photo comparing it with the Nexus. Multiple reviews online have called it the best phone on the market, if the new iPhone was really that terrible there's noway anybody could make that claim. I've never heard anybody complain about the new iPhone running slowly, it's just not ever a problem.

Any chance of linking to the mentioned reviews so i can see there arguments? I really wouldn't have thought its the best on the market these days. Interested in what way they say its better.

Edit - Also i had the 6 plus and am comparing to a Note so cant say much about the basic 6 model spec and screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Any chance of linking to the mentioned reviews so i can see there arguments? I really wouldn't have thought its the best on the market these days. Interested in what way they say its better.

Edit - Also i had the 6 plus and am comparing to a Note so cant say much about the basic 6 model spec and screen.

For someone that considers an iPhone to be pretentious, I'm astounded you decided to drop the guts of a grand buying one.

Given the almost complete absence of anything to do with a first impressions review, would it be safe to assume you're going to continue to try and turn this thread into another tedious 'android is better' campaign?

Advertisement