Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Why.

iPhone 6 Plus with 16gb = 799euros
    iPhone 6 Plus with 64gb = 899euros
    iPhone 6 Plus with 128gb = 999euros

No sd and removing the 32gb option.

Thats what kills me ☺before I know it I'm adding 25per cent onto the cost of the 16gb to get the 128gb. Doesn't sit right with me haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Google are now shipping their own phones without SD card slots, SD card slots are a terrible solution to a storage problem.

Google are now shipping their own phones without SD card slots, SD card slots are a terrible solution to a storage problem.

Why do you feel they a terrible solution?

I use them with my camera, my macbook, my tablet, media player. Always found them very handy. Great for taking pictures with my camera and transferring them to macbook for processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭caolfx

symbolic wrote: »

I use them with my camera, my macbook, my tablet, media player. Always found them very handy. Great for taking pictures with my camera and transferring them to macbook for processing.

Great for offline use too - especially for long distance air travel - movies, music etc. Though you'd want to be doing a hell of a lot of it for it to be a dealbreaker!

A 64GB device would do me fine on it's own.

BadPanda wrote: »
    Great for offline use too - especially for long distance air travel - movies, music etc. Though you'd want to be doing a hell of a lot of it for it to be a dealbreaker!

A 64GB device would do me fine on it's own.

Yeah i love them for travelling. And i travel a lot.

But yeah I'd be happy with 128gb onboard, although being able to switch between devices is great. But just felt it's a bit of a joke charging 200 euro extra for it. That was all. Maybe I'm wrong!

• Advertisement

symbolic wrote: »

They work well in a device that is single purpose, i.e. a camera.

They don't work well in phones. they causes a lot of stress on the user to be wholly aware of where their data is, what apps write and write properly to the SD card, which ones don't. I'm in a rush and I'm not sure where that file is, am I expected to know exactly where a file is? SD cards are another moving part, another connector to get broken, another connector to gather dust, another failure point.

Ultimately this is something that's personal preference, I prefer not to have one and have my data backed up to iCloud Drive/Dropbox than have to deal with all of the above but to me SD cards are a terrible solution for storage on a multi-purpose device.

They work well in a device that is single purpose, i.e. a camera.

They don't work well in phones. they causes a lot of stress on the user to be wholly aware of where their data is, what apps write and write properly to the SD card, which ones don't. I'm in a rush and I'm not sure where that file is, am I expected to know exactly where a file is? SD cards are another moving part, another connector to get broken, another connector to gather dust, another failure point.

Ultimately this is something that's personal preference, I prefer not to have one and have my data backed up to iCloud Drive/Dropbox than have to deal with all of the above but to me SD cards are a terrible solution for storage on a multi-purpose device.

I consider my macbook a multi purpose device. Works beautifully with my sd cards. Different strokes I suppose.

Anyway don't wanna get bogged down in SD card discussion. On board storage prices with Apple are annoying. That's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Can anyone advise where they got a decent tempered glass screen protector for the iPhone 6, preferably one that has a bevel at the edge of the screen guard? Cheers!

Also USB OTG are handy option for Nexus devices. Like an external sd card slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

I went with the Rhino Shield (check out a review here: http://www.jailbreaknation.com/rhinoshield-the-ultimate-protection-for-a-naked-iphone) for my Plus. Doesn't tick the box for you Arciphel re. a bevel, but nice and slim with my Spiegen case. Feels nicely protected without looking or feeling bulky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ordered the iPhone 6 plus 64GB. Just couldn't stand my 4S any longer and I was due an upgrade.
    My 4S battery is gone very poor, died after 2 hours use this morning, it needs to be charged at least twice daily at the moment, so looking forward to the huge improvement I should get in every way with the new phone.

ok going from a 4S to a 6+, my first impression will be wow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

RobertKK wrote: »
    Ordered the iPhone 6 plus 64GB. Just couldn't stand my 4S any longer and I was due an upgrade.
    My 4S battery is gone very poor, died after 2 hours use this morning, it needs to be charged at least twice daily at the moment, so looking forward to the huge improvement I should get in every way with the new phone.

ok going from a 4S to a 6+, my first impression will be wow. :D

Going from a 3.5" screen on a 2011 iPhone to a 5.5" screen on a 2014 one your going to be blown away. It'll be like night and day, and you'll take a while getting used to the massive size of it. Just seeing the screen alone for the first time will probably shock you, it's amazing on the new iPhones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the best deal on the normal iPhone 6. If possible, 64GB but would settle for 16GB.

Have been PAYG for Vodafone for years..I'm currently with them (PAYG) and T Mobile UK (rolling monthly) on 2 separate phones. I want to put everything into 1 phone at this stage and can sort out UK calls/text add ons myself later on if need be. I'd probably want 2GB Data minimum and a lot of minutes. Texts not too important with my use of Whatsapp/Viber.

Thanks in advance for the help,

I know these questions are probably frowned upon here but I don't want to commit to paying a lot of money for something I haven't researched properly. At least I'll have comfort in knowing ye have experience with them.

Best deal as far as I could see anyway is with Three:
    Classic Flex Max 350 (24m)

Phone cost: €229
    Monthly: €40.66
    24 Months
    Flexi-Units - 350
    Unlimited Data
    Unlimited 3 to 3 calls

I'd assume the flexi units include texts/calls to any network. .

Would there be anything better than this? If I spoke to Vodafone about being a longstanding PAYG customer could I perhaps get some sort of a reduction?

Thanks again for advice

EDIT: From doing a bit more reading, I suppose if I could get the 64GB I would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

callaway92 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm looking for the best deal on the normal iPhone 6. If possible, 64GB but would settle for 16GB.

Thanks in advance for the help,

I know these questions are probably frowned upon here but I don't want to commit to paying a lot of money for something I haven't researched properly. At least I'll have comfort in knowing ye have experience with them.

Best deal as far as I could see anyway is with Three:
    Would there be anything better than this?

EDIT: From doing a bit more reading, I suppose if I could get the 64GB I would.

Sounds like an ok deal, would the 3to3 minutes work for you though? Are your most called contacts on 3.
    Otherwise you could consider VF red plan for €55. That has unlimited text/mins to any network. Cost more a month but phone is cheaper. Also VF includes 100 international mins. I like the red roaming deal as well, although if you're just concerned about uk roaming then 3-like-home is free...
    I have 20% discount on my VF plan through work, dunno if something like that is avaible to you, doubt they'll do a discount because you were pay-go customer. Do go for the 64gb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

dubmick wrote: »
    Whatsapp beta for iPhone 6/6 plus if anyone is interested, can be installed from here:

http://www.pgyer.com/app/install/6f085dd3bbfa594e074fb696c13dac03

Worked fine for me.

So much better and I like the different chat wallpapers thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Whatsapp beta for iPhone 6/6 plus if anyone is interested, can be installed from here:

Worked fine for me.
    Hero, cheers. Looks a million times better, what the hell is taking them so long to release it officially!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

flyguy wrote: »
    Sounds like an ok deal, would the 3to3 minutes work for you though? Are your most called contacts on 3.
    Otherwise you could consider VF red plan for €55. That has unlimited text/mins to any network. Cost more a month but phone is cheaper. Also VF includes 100 international mins. I like the red roaming deal as well, although if you're just concerned about uk roaming then 3-like-home is free...
    I have 20% discount on my VF plan through work, dunno if something like that is avaible to you, doubt they'll do a discount because you were pay-go customer. Do go for the 64gb

Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't know really what network most contacts would be but most closest to me would be Vodafone afaik.

The VF Red one looks good since it includes the International Texts/Calls too which are needed. The 3 GB of Data is loads.

Thanks!

Hero, cheers. Looks a million times better, what the hell is taking them so long to release it officially!

years upon years of developing with frame based layout, now having to do it all with auto layout.

depending how bad their UI code is, it could take a long time. Sure look at Google Maps, not updated yet and it's been 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Worked fine for me.

"
    The profile now installed in our phones is issued by "Hunan Langxiong Advertising Decoration Engineering Co. Ltd", the exact profile associated with the WireLurker malware virus.

Big hint to remove it now?"

Advise anyone who installed this beta to erase your iPhone and set it up as a new phone, and not to restore from backup.
    This beta's certificate has found to be the same one as associated with a Chinese malware cert that was found on Mac recently.
    Large thread about it in link below. Everyone who installed beta has now uninstalled and reset up phone. I just had to re-set up my phone. Deleting the app and reinstalling the official whatsapp app is NOT enough. This could potentialy be used as a backdoor to discover your internet banking etc passwords.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1788727&page=30

"Once again, I can only recommend everbody delete the beta and most importantly all profiles that were installed with it.

I know that the profile was only used to install the malware and wasn't the malware itself, but having it on your iPhone definitely makes it easy to install malware on your phone.

Also, we have no proof that the app itself was somehow altered by that pgyer website.
    The fact, that they use The exact same profile as the hackers did and now have a new one called "undead" makes the website seem suspicious.

The official version sucks for sure, but there are just too many reasons not to use the beta."

Major pain in the ass, but there is too much pointing to this being extremely dodgy.

Ouch! Quite obvious it was a scam though, Whatsapp is now owned by Facebook who'd literally have 100's of employees to test beta versions of their apps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Would 6gb of data be enough? I currently use 4 or 5 on my 4s. I'm assuming the new phone will use more data for the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Should be grand unless you're streaming hours of tv shows.

Worked fine for me.

Another warning, this time by the US Government about this.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/13/us-government-masque-attack-warning/

This is the exact method used to install this 'whatsapp beta'
    If anyone has this beta installed you are strongly recommend to do a clean reinstall of your iPhone.
    Also, I think the link to the beta should be removed by a mod, as this is clearly bogus, given all we now know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Another warning, this time by the US Government about this.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/13/us-government-masque-attack-warning/

This is the exact method used to install this 'whatsapp beta'
    If anyone has this beta installed you are strongly recommend to do a clean reinstall of your iPhone.
    Also, I think the link to the beta should be removed by a mod, as this is clearly bogus, given all we now know.

I've since got a replacement iPhone 6 restore from iCloud backup since installing this on the last iPhone 6, would I still be a risk? I installed that app and deleted straight away never even signed into WhatsApp.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I've since got a replacement iPhone 6 restore from iCloud backup since installing this on the last iPhone 6, would I still be a risk? I installed that app and deleted straight away never even signed into WhatsApp.

If the iCloud backup you restored from was done after you installed the beta, then yes you are still at risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm sure a lot of you will be happy with this update.

http://wp.me/p1xtr9-1tOn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If the iCloud backup you restored from was done after you installed the beta, then yes you are still at risk.

Someone just received a spam email from one of my old accounts but I had to put the password in there when I restored from backup to my new phone. Wonder if its related to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just a quick one. The iPhone 6 , 72gig, €750.00, is that about the right price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

They don't make 72gb, just 16gb, 64gb, and 128gb.

Brand new the 64gb is €799.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Zcott wrote: »
    They don't make 72gb, just 16gb, 64gb, and 128gb.

Brand new the 64gb is €799.

Sorry, that should be 64gb. Well this is brand new from 3 @ 750.00.

Advertisement