Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, that's a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sorry, that should be 64gb. Well this is brand new from 3 @ 750.00.

But.....Tis a terrible price if locked to Three. Make sure it isnt or else pay the extra 49€ and get an unlocked phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

culabula wrote: »
    But.....Tis a terrible price if locked to Three. Make sure it isnt or else pay the extra 49€ and get an unlocked phone.

Its a pay as you go phone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So it's locked to Three.
    Better value to buy from apple direct, it's sim free and you can pick and choose your sim only plan that's suitd to you.

I can't understand why you would think this a good deal: paying nearly the full price as Apple would charge you to get a locked handset that they won't unlock until you've spent a certain sum. Please don't do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I can't understand why you would think this a good deal: paying nearly the full price as Apple would charge you to get a locked handset that they won't unlock until you've spent a certain sum. Please don't do this.

It's €799 from apple. €50 less from three. Perhaps the assumption was that it was unlocked, which would make it a good deal (compared to OEM seller) or perhaps the "good deal" refers to the possibility that the user may be quite happy with three and the chosen plan, and has no intention of changing provider. The unlock entitlement would eventually come. Again, a good deal.

dodzy wrote: »
    It's €799 from apple. €50 less from three. Perhaps the assumption was that it was unlocked, which would make it a good deal (compared to OEM seller) or perhaps the "good deal" refers to the possibility that the user may be quite happy with three and the chosen plan, and has no intention of changing provider. The unlock entitlement would eventually come. Again, a good deal.

50€ extra gets you something that's sellable in the event of a new iPhone being released.
    It allows you to SIM-swap if travelling. 50€ extra avoids having to spend probably over 150€ to get it unlocked, eventually, and the possible hassle of requesting this.

For such a small bit extra, I'd choose lack of hassle and peace of mind. It still allows you to choose Three and their PAYG offer, anyway

kceire wrote: »
    So it's locked to Three.
    Better value to buy from apple direct, it's sim free and you can pick and choose your sim only plan that's suitd to you.

Yer man in the 3 shop said nothing about being locked to 3. I thought I could work away with my O2 pay as you go pre paid credits?

Yer man in the 3 shop said nothing about being locked to 3. I thought I could work away with my O2 pay as you go pre paid credits?
    No, if it's €70 less than Apple direct, it'll be locked to 3. No question.

No chance. It will be locked to Three, of that you can be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it's locked to Three.

No chance. It will be locked to Three, of that you can be sure.

What exactly does that mean? I can still keep my 086 number right?
    Does it mean I am on the 3 network as opposed to the O2 one?
    But aren't they all much of a muchness nowadays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

yes the phone is locked to three. Which will require you to move networks..

shanec1928 wrote: »
    yes the phone is locked to three. Which will require you to move networks..

Sorry to be a pain, but why would I need to move networks?
    Isn't the 3 coverage as good as the O2?

Not really, no. Look at what you get from Three for 20€ and compare. Nobody else gives you unlimited data AND you get to keep the 20€ until you start spending it.

The coverage is irrelevant as it will vary depending on your location (or at least where you spend the bulk of your time), and only you can decide if the €50 saving is worth the move based on the above along with plan cost/offerings.

The important point here is that if you buy the phone from 3, then you will have to move networks, change your SIM, and be stuck with that network on whatever plan you choose, until you get to their "minimum spend" this enabling you to request unlock code, and then move should you wish. You are with o2 currently. If you wist to remain with them, then you will need to look elsewhere for the phone, either o2, or unlocked to all networks. Culabula's advice following my earlier post pretty much covers it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Interesting that Three UK are selling all phones unlocked now, wonder will the Irish crowd follow suit?

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Interesting that Three UK are selling all phones unlocked now, wonder will the Irish crowd follow suit?

Not looking that way as Three UK have been doing it for some time now. Also, not falling in line with that crowd's "Feel At Home" offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Anyone else having issues tethering to their windows laptop? It's as if the iPhone keeps quickly connecting and disconnecting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Anyone else having issues tethering to their windows laptop? It's as if the iPhone keeps quickly connecting and disconnecting...

I had similar symptoms on my new machine although I wasn't tethering. A fresh install of iTunes sorted it out.

• Advertisement

Go the iphone6 64gb yesterday from O2, 749.99 pay as you go.

So, it too will be locked. Try requesting unlocking on their site. Travelling is usually a good reason. Not sure if they will do it as readily on PAYG, though.

So, it too will be locked. Try requesting unlocking on their site. Travelling is usually a good reason. Not sure if they will do it as readily on PAYG, though.

It's OK, she is already an O2 customer

It's OK, she is already an O2 customer

I realise that but an unlocked phone is a desirable thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

O2 require that you spend €150 on call credit to unock a a prepay phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

50 quid more and you'd have gotten it unlocked from Apple and could have chosen your ideal plan to spend as little per month as possible. Buying a phone PAYG outright like that doesn't seem like a lot of sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I made the mistake of opening a thread on Reddit about front facing misaligned cameras, and mine appears to be a pretty bad case. Some folks have had no trouble with replacement, but how does yours look?

Here's mine:

hq5rv9l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Zcott wrote: »
    I made the mistake of opening a thread on Reddit about front facing misaligned cameras, and mine appears to be a pretty bad case. Some folks have had no trouble with replacement, but how does yours look?

Here's mine:

hq5rv9l.jpg

I had never heard of this till now. Low and behold. Mine is misaligned by about .25 to .33 of a MM. I never even noticed it. In fact, Is it possible there moving inside?

Have you contacted Apple on it? Now I am thinking of sending mine back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No problems herebut I have seen a post on macrumour about it.

Advertisement