Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

Just got the 6 Plus a couple of days ago. I love it.

At first, it seemed too big for me, but I really didn't care, now I'd never go back to a smaller device.

The screen is is beautiful.

I'm coming from a Nexus 5, but really it was iOS which persuaded me to go back to iPhone. Far better in my opinion. Really didn't like Lollipop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

AnimalChin wrote: »
    Really didn't like Lollipop.

it sucks doesn't it.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

First impressions of Apples earning report....record breaking.

They sold 74.5 million phones in the previous quarter or as CEO Tim Cook put it: 34,000 phones every hour, every day for the previous three months.

Not surprised, I have the 6+ and I just love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

But, but, apple is doomed, antennagate, bendgate, decline in ipad sales, poor battery in unreleased watch.

Wonders what it would be like to log into Internet banking and see $178,000,000,000 in cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Just imagine how much they could have sold if they made good phones with android and were more creative.

So much for Apple haters forecasting their demise.

Never understood it as I use an iPhone because I like it but wouldn't care what happens with Google or Samsung. Would prefer all to do well as it keeps raising the level of product we get.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just imagine how much they could have sold if they made good phones with android and were more creative.

So much for Apple haters forecasting their demise.

Never understood it as I use an iPhone because I like it but wouldn't care what happens with Google or Samsung. Would prefer all to do well as it keeps raising the level of product we get.
    Apple development is already spread as thin as possible without making Android devices on top of that. Like they are constrained selling 75 million devices in 3 months, don't know how they'd fit anymore models in there let alone an android model :pac:

Apple development is already spread as thin as possible without making Android devices on top of that. Like they are constrained selling 75 million devices in 3 months, don't know how they'd fit anymore models in there let alone an android model :pac:

Yes, they just don't have the freedom to develop and adjust things in iOS like they would have if they were developing in Android.

hmm that doesn't make sense, iOS isn't restricted because it's not Android. It's restricted because Apple architected it that way for a specific set of valid reasons.*

* I meant Apple development as in Apple's development of new phones/software and not someone developing for iOS as it may have come across. Apologies.

hmm that doesn't make sense, iOS isn't restricted because it's not Android. It's restricted because Apple architected it that way for a specific set of valid reasons.*

* I meant Apple development as in Apple's development of new phones/software and not someone developing for iOS as it may have come across. Apologies.

You do know I was joking by paraphrasing stuff that Android supporters/Apple Critics say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

You do know I was joking by paraphrasing stuff that Android supporters/Apple Critics say?

In fairness you weren't very clear, I was confused about whether you were being sarcastic or genuinely saying those things as well. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

DubDJ wrote: »
    In fairness you weren't very clear, I was confused about whether you were being sarcastic or genuinely saying those things as well. :p

That post must have been dictated to Siri and autocorrected ;)

Yes, I'm joking too.

Nope, but in fairness it's been a long day for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hugh123

Iphone 6 + is a great phone but when it limits <100MB of data on a mobile network for iTunes apps and movies, its another Apple forced restriction I can live without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

hugh123 wrote: »
    Iphone 6 + is a great phone but when it limits <100MB of data on a mobile network for iTunes apps and movies, its another Apple forced restriction I can live without.

Come on now, you've your own thread to give out about that and everyone has shot you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

hugh123 wrote: »

Why not look into selling your iPhone 6, and purchase an Android Device? Then your restriction problem is gone away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

"Careful now”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Anyone else have problems with dead pixels on the 6? Will be getting a replacement from Apple in the next day or so due to a big enough cluster of dead pixels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

64gig 6 plus. I absolutely love it. LOVE it. I delayed making the jump since Xmas. Delighted with the big screen and battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Zcott wrote: »
    I'm down at the Apple Store now and asked them about my front facing camera looking misaligned. The genius said he'd never seen that issue before but instead of offering a replacement phone he offered to replace the display.

That was December, and it's moved again. Genius appointment on Friday to see if they'll replace the screen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Switched back to Apple after 4 years with Android. Went with the iPhone 6 64gb and absolutely loving it. They've come a long way since the 3g I had. Great couple with my iPad Air 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Had the HTC One M8 last year, still probably the best android phone I had but couldn't deal with the lose volume rockers, camera lense scratching, and I always got overexposed photos in daylight. Went to a Note 4 but found it too big and the chrome started chipping along the edges. Returned it for an Xperia Z3 which I kept for a day and finally switched to the iPhone 6. Couldn't be happier. No dead pixels, no build quality issues, no lag, everything works the way I want it. Sure no file manager is annoying and no fancy power saving modes and I don't care about the resolution drop. And the integration with other apple devices is great.

The ONLY issue and I don't think it's an issue as it's widely reported is the rattle I keep hearing from the back of the IP6 if I tap the back near the camera. Noticed it when putting a case on. Apple told me it's due to the way the camera auto focus mechanism is suspended by magnets. Not too many shops have a real IP6 on display so I can't check other models.

From MacRumours :
    "The focusing mechanism in the iPhone camera uses a voice coil mechanism. This is basically a coil suspended in a magnetic field. You put varying electricity through the coil to move the lens to a specific position.

When the camera is unpowered, the lens is free to move in its path, as the coil isn't energized, holding it in place. This causes the rattle. It's perfectly okay, and isn't getting damaged as the lens is simply moving along the path it's designed to move in."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

@Flaccus Every iPhone I've had (4, 5, 6) have all had the exact same thing. It's perfectly normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Been using my iPhone 6 Plus 16gb for about 30 days now. So glad I choose the Plus. Have previously owned:

Apple 3gs, 4s, 5s
    Android HTC Desire HD, One x, One x+, HTC One M7

The battery and screen are incrediable. I used it for 50 hours before it went dead. Had the follwoing on:

Auto brightness
    no background app refresh
    no handover and thats about it.

Used Facebook email, spotify the odd youtube video etc. Just general use. No gaming or heavy video watching very impressed. Had both wifi and Bluetooth on for good parts of the two and a bit days it was on. Even though the iPhone 6 only has 1GB of ram the speed it does things at are impressive, no lag at all.

I've always switched between Android and apple but always find myself coming back to the iPhone for the simple reason that it just does things better as far as i'm concerned.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Best time/place to buy an iPhone 6/6+?

I'm with Tesco Mobile. Costs me €10 a month, so I have no desire to buy a phone on a contract.

I want to buy for cash.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Dinarius wrote: »
    Best time/place to buy an iPhone 6/6+?

I'm with Tesco Mobile. Costs me €10 a month, so I have no desire to buy a phone on a contract.

I want to buy for cash.

Thanks.

D.
    Probably apple.com. Steep initial price but you get the benefit of not having to deal with a carrier & sim-free phone. Good sell on value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

miralize wrote: »
    Probably apple.com. Steep initial price but you get the benefit of not having to deal with a carrier & sim-free phone. Good sell on value

Thanks. Had a look at the site. €999 for the The Full Monty, though I would get the vat back. So, actually about €812.

Isn't there some time of year (Thanksgiving?) when Appple products are reduced for a few days?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks. Had a look at the site. €999 for the The Full Monty, though I would get the vat back. So, actually about €812.

Isn't there some time of year (Thanksgiving?) when Appple products are reduced for a few days?

Thanks.

D.
    Not their best selling products. Its usually 3rd party stuff or accessories that have Black Friday sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Is there any where in Dublin City that I could walk into a shop and buy a factory unlocked iPhone 6? Or will I have to order from Apple for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

SantryRed wrote: »
    Is there any where in Dublin City that I could walk into a shop and buy a factory unlocked iPhone 6? Or will I have to order from Apple for this?

Iconnect on Henry Street sell unlocked iPhone 6 I think give them a bell.

http://i-connect.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

SantryRed wrote: »

Delivery doesn't take too long. I ordered one tonight and expected delivery is Thursday

Advertisement