Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

1202122232426»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Gonna get the 6 soon as my 5s battery has gone to absolute shíte -getting 3 hours usage and 6 hours standby from it, which is crazy.

How does the 6 battery fair? I've heard great things as well as reports its not much better than the 5s.

Also, what's the going rate for a 5s these days? Mine's in flawless condition, bar the crap battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Gonna get the 6 soon as my 5s battery has gone to absolute shíte -getting 3 hours usage and 6 hours standby from it, which is crazy.

How does the 6 battery fair? I've heard great things as well as reports its not much better than the 5s.

Also, what's the going rate for a 5s these days? Mine's in flawless condition, bar the crap battery

If you bought that 5s from Apple I would be sending it back that is totally unacceptable for a phone that's not even 2 years old. As a previous owner of a 5s the battery on the 6 is about the same. €300 to €350 depending on size

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Check to see if yours is one of the 5s batch that's being offered a free battery replacement.

Ah right, didn't even think about it tbh. Got mine off the Apple.ie in Novemver 2013... Says the battery replacement program is only for the 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The iPhone 6 battery life in my opinion is no better, no way i'd get 3 hour usage. The iphone 6 battery is horrendous,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Zcott wrote: »
    No, this is different. On black models the grey insert that keeps the camera in place moves over the camera, creating a crescent effect. Apple replaced the screen on my iPhone 6 twice with this and they didn't even hesitate. Give them a call and they might offer to replace it.

I have this on a silver model. Doesn't seem to affect photos.

Do apple repair the phone or give a refurb ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I find iPhone 6 battery to be far better than 5s. Lasts 2 days with moderate use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I have this on a silver model. Doesn't seem to affect photos.

Do apple repair the phone or give a refurb ?

In my case they repaired it twice, by removing the screen, re-aligning the camera and then refitting a new screen. Since then it's happened again but I'll probably just leave it. If I really pestered them they'd probably give me a new phone but I'll just live with it :)

So this is the state of my battery. Light use and all, just web browsing and on >30% brightness.

Longest I've gotten out of it in ages, but it's still pathetic.

I've push emails turned off and everything that's unnecessary. Would Apple actually replace it free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

whiterebel wrote: »
    I find iPhone 6 battery to be far better than 5s. Lasts 2 days with moderate use

That's the luck of the draw my battery is no were near that good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Zcott wrote: »
    In my case they repaired it twice, by removing the screen, re-aligning the camera and then refitting a new screen. Since then it's happened again but I'll probably just leave it. If I really pestered them they'd probably give me a new phone but I'll just live with it :)

They seem to be doing fewer replacements and more repairs these days.

Anyone know if I can bring my Irish iPhone to an Apple store in the US for repair/replacement ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So this is the state of my battery. Light use and all, just web browsing and on >30% brightness.

Longest I've gotten out of it in ages, but it's still pathetic.

I've push emails turned off and everything that's unnecessary. Would Apple actually replace it free?

That definitely doesn't seem right. I've the iPhone 6, over 6 months old now and I've attached my latest battery stat. I don't bother turning things I use off, so wifi, Bluetooth, 3G etc are always on. Background app refresh is on, push notification and emails on. Brightness is set to auto but would sit at around 40% usually.

I'm getting an extra day of standby over yours as well as more actual usage, didn't use it much over the weekend. Last took it out of charge on Saturday night. Great battery since I've had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Bare in mind Wi-Fi will use less battery than 3g/4g. Also better reception will help with the battery when you are using 3g/4g. If you constantly in a 1 bar area. Your battery will go down a lot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭No_Comply

Quick question for anyone's that's received a device from Apple after seniding it for repair:

My 6 plus has been at a status of:

product replacement pending

It's been like that for over 24hrs. Just wondering how long it should take in other people's experiences, to get a phone back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No_Comply wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone's that's received a device from Apple after seniding it for repair:

My 6 plus has been at a status of:

product replacement pending

It's been like that for over 24hrs. Just wondering how long it should take in other people's experiences, to get a phone back?
    If you sent it on a Tuesday you should have it back the following Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So I finally got my 6

:)

Allready the 5 seems small and slow compared to it, I love the screen just a perfect size, at 1st it was too big for me but I quickly got used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭baby_pebble

I'm looking to upgrade from my iPhone 4, been looking at ones that are grade a used and day stock.
    The 5s is grade A used 16g for €400 and 32g €429 and the 6 is 14 day stock for €599.
    Does anyone know what grade a or 14 day stock means?
    If they are not worth it to buy new the cost of 5s is €579 and 6 is €679.
    Any opinions on the options and do you think the 6 is worth it? Keeping in mind i'm upgrading from a 4 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I would like a 6+ with 128Gb (I shoot a lot of video)

But, I just can't justify the premium they charge for memory.

€100 for an extra 64Gb of memory is obscene in this day and age. I can buy 1Tb of SSD memory in Argos for €60.

It's like Apple just think of a number and double it, knowing the worker bees will pay.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    I can buy 1Tb of SSD memory in Argos for €60.

I'd be really interested in a link to a 1TB SSD for €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Graham wrote: »
    I'd be really interested in a link to a 1TB SSD for €60.

Apologies for my foot-in-mouth moment. Of course, it isn't SSD.

But, I still find €100 for 64Gb too expensive. Obviously, if there was only, say, €40 between the 64Gb phone and the 128Gb phone, then no one would buy the 64Gb model when they're already spending €899.

So,......?

D.

Ps. Maybe I should be looking at one of these. http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/alternatives-iphone-6-plus-ces-2015-mwc-smartphones-phablets-3572504/

• Advertisement

Dinarius wrote: »
    But, I still find €100 for 64Gb too expensive.

Agreed, it is too much for a relatively minor addition to the build cost.

It's the same across all Apple products unfortunately. I can't really think of any justification for it other than supply constraints for the type of memory used. If the price jump were lower everyone would opt for the higher capacity models and maybe that would constrict supply of new models even further than normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much the additional memory actually costs Apple is irrelevant. All manufactures segment their products into low, mid and high-end models, if for no other reason then there’s always going to be people with the extra money to spend. How they differentiate between different models is somewhat arbitrary, but traditionally in the PC industry they do it based on processor speed, RAM, camera megapixels, or, in many cases, software features that have simply been disabled in the low-end model. Storage capacity is just how Apple have chosen to differentiate the iPhone, probably because as a software company it makes supporting all the different models a lot easier. And in marketing terms, it’s easy to explain the advantages to low-end buyers without resorting to long, complicated spec lists. The high-end iPhone 6 is the same as the low-end iPhone 6 but with extra storage.

Advertisement