Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

iPhone 6. Stunning in every way.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Graham wrote: »
    For someone that considers an iPhone to be pretentious, I'm astounded you decided to drop the guts of a grand buying one.

Given the almost complete absence of anything to do with a first impressions review, would it be safe to assume you're going to continue to try and turn this thread into another tedious 'android is better' campaign?

No like everyone else i just gave my opinion. My first impression was that it should be a lot better. Also its after i bought it i realised how overpriced it is and that the smart money will wait for the Note 4.

If you want some kind of in depth descriptions and review of the phone theres plenty available.Ill just give a short synopsis. Also i never actually commented on the software apart from saying Android has an increasing market share so no its not gonna turn into an "Android is better" campaign as you say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Ok, I get you think it's overpriced. That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

The tedious Andriod/Samsung guff, I just switched off for I'm afraid but thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

iPhone 6...stunning, just need a case...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Ok, I get you think it's overpriced. That's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.

The tedious Andriod/Samsung guff, I just switched off for I'm afraid but thanks for sharing.

If you keep on jumping into threads and mentioning Android whenever someone isnt impressed with an iPhone itll get tedious alright.

Im gonna leave this thread soon id say. Dont want it to look like im turning it some kind of iPhone vs... thread. Its an iPhone first impressions thread and my impression is they dropped the ball with the bigger Phone. They could have really opened up a whole new market for productive phones but released something fairly basic.

Roll on Oct 10th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd have thought it too early to really judge the 6+ as devs haven't had a chance to show what you can do with all that screen space. At the moment, with the exception of Apple apps, all people can use on it are 3rd party apps optimised for a 4" screen.

It's early days for it and people buying it should be aware of this.

iPhone 6...stunning, just need a case...

I thought of might be able to get one online from apple but not available in the Irish store yet. Maybe try the uk store and parcel motel.

The Apple leather case is fairly decent and doesn't add a huge amount of bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

can anybody tell me what the battery life is?

I thought of might be able to get one online from apple but not available in the Irish store yet. Maybe try the uk store and parcel motel.

The Apple leather case is fairly decent and doesn't add a huge amount of bulk.

There's always a few to reserve online at the Belfast store. That's how I got mine yesterday. If you have the time to get up at the allotted time I'd seriously consider doing it. You won't be dissapointed.

naasrd wrote: »
    There's always a few to reserve online at the Belfast store. That's how I got mine yesterday. If you have the time to get up at the allotted time I'd seriously consider doing it. You won't be dissapointed.

Same for me on Sat naasrd, reserved Saturday at 3, collected at 5:45. Someone else was asking about cases.

• Advertisement

blackbeard wrote: »
    can anybody tell me what the battery life is?

Two hours very heavy use this morning, battery down to 90% a massive improvement over my iPhone 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Two hours very heavy use this morning, battery down to 90% a massive improvement over my iPhone 5.

15 minutes of browsing, checking email etc, battery still at 100%. Massive improvement indeed. Looks like the days of having a charge a day are well behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Back in work today.

My commute is 50 minutes;

IPhone 5: down from 100% to 50% - 45%

IPhone 6: down from 100% to 75% - 70%

Massive change, it'll probably get worse though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

6 or 6+?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Lets talk about SQ... it's gooood :D

To my untrained ears the iPhone 6 seems to produce a slightly wide sound stage compared to my 5s.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

mad muffin wrote: »
    Lets talk about SQ... it's gooood :D

To my untrained ears the iPhone 6 seems to produce a slightly wide sound stage compared to my 5s.

I have to completely agree with you there, I couldn't believe how great the phone sounds, its by far one of the clearest and loudest phones I've owned to date!

Aside from this I'm loving the 6, battery is great and the bigger screen is long overdue. A feature I've found myself using a lot since getting it is the slo-mo video, its the best non-essential feature in the phone! Here's one of the vid's I took with it the other night

pjjk90 wrote: »
    I have to completely agree with you there, I couldn't believe how great the phone sounds, its by far one of the clearest and loudest phones I've owned to date!

Aside from this I'm loving the 6, battery is great and the bigger screen is long overdue. A feature I've found myself using a lot since getting it is the slo-mo video, its the best non-essential feature in the phone! Here's one of the vid's I took with it the other night

fixed :p

BTW if anyone doesn't know. You need to enable 60fps for video recording in settings->Photos & Camera, then scroll down. 30fps/60fps isn't selectable in the camera app like 120fps/240fps is.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭pjjk90

BTW if anyone doesn't know. You need to enable 60fps for video recording in settings->Photos & Camera, then scroll down. 30fps/60fps isn't selectable in the camera app like 120fps/240fps is.

Thanks mad muffin :D Also didn't know that about the 60FPS, I just assumed that was the default setting on the phone

pjjk90 wrote: »
    Thanks mad muffin :D Also didn't know that about the 60FPS, I just assumed that was the default setting on the phone

Yeah. I was messing around with the camera yesterday and noticed the toggle for 120/240 in the bottom right hand corner in slo-mo. Then noticed no such itoggle for 30/60 in video.

Decided to have a root in settings and realised the toggle is there. Not sure why they didn't implement it the same way the did for slo-mo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Whatever about 5 years ago there's nothing pretentious about an iPhone now because they are commonplace. You see everyone with them - even both my parents have one.

This notion that iPhone users are a particular demographic persists even though it no longer has any basis in reality, only in the heads of people who have a bit of a chip for whatever reason.

Agree totally. You do realise though that's a 64-bit of a quad core chip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Back in work today.

My commute is 50 minutes;

IPhone 5: down from 100% to 50% - 45%

IPhone 6: down from 100% to 75% - 70%

Massive change, it'll probably get worse though.

I'm assuming that's using some form of navigation, not just sitting in your pocket :D

Had a day of relatively light/moderate use yesterday, off charge about 14 hours (but still my 4S would be dead or damn close to). Battery was only down to ~75%

Noticing it's running much cooler than the 4S as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Actually I think the biggest day to day improvement in ease of use is the new curved edges on the screen. It's one of those things mentioned in the keynote and you think "ah yeah" but its actually a huge improvement. Even moving apps around is much easier now.

Actually I think the biggest day to day improvement in ease of use is the new curved edges on the screen. It's one of those things mentioned in the keynote and you think "ah yeah" but its actually a huge improvement. Even moving apps around is much easier now.

Agreed. Also an added bonus, no more little bits of debris getting stuck between the body and the screen.

Drove my OCD crazy on my space grey 5s. Ended up getting a silver 5s because of it. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Those saying the battery is massively better... of course it is. It's a new device and you are comparing it to your old iPhone 5/5s. My 5 battery was pretty good too for the first few months but the life degrades in them all sharply after a while in my experience. I'd be surprised if the 6 is any different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Portrait orientation in a video recording?? :eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

pad199207 wrote: »
    I'm on a €25 per month deal.

Unlimited calls and texts to my network
    400mins and 400 texts to all other networks
    2GB Internet
    18 Month contract

Who is this with? What upfront cost is there for the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm assuming that's using some form of navigation, not just sitting in your pocket :D

Had a day of relatively light/moderate use yesterday, off charge about 14 hours (but still my 4S would be dead or damn close to). Battery was only down to ~75%

Noticing it's running much cooler than the 4S as well.
    hah yeah, I'm on the DART, so it's often going from 4G > 3G > E > No Service :pac:

Also I was using Moves which constantly had the GPS on. Now with the M8 it uses that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

That's the business.....Cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not exactly a first impression but performance related, Ananadtech has posted some benchmark results comparing the iPhone 6 and Plus to most of the major competion.

Results are impressive, especially given the "2 year old specs" everybody's been slating. Other than the Nvidia Tablet, the iPhone 6 wins out in the majority of tests. Again this shows that specs don't always matter when you've got the OS optimised so well to take advantage of the internals.

Advertisement