Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    6 or 6+?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Got to handle both in AT&T in New York yesterday. First impressions - 6 is as big as I would go. 6+ is Huge and wouldn't be going in a jeans pocket. Really doesn't seem far off iPad Mini. Hope to get to AppleStore today or tomorrow to have a proper lap around with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

6 probably is "big enough", but I'm a sucker for increased specs.

Better camera, better screen resolution, and (the big one for me) better battery? Sign me up!

Won't fit in my pocket, you say? Hand me a scissors, needle, and thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Branoic wrote: »
    6 probably is "big enough", but I'm a sucker for increased specs.

Better camera, better screen resolution, and (the big one for me) better battery? Sign me up!

Won't fit in my pocket, you say? Hand me a scissors, needle, and thread!

Is this not all relative though given the size of the device? The bigger battery has to power that huge display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Col_30 wrote: »
    Is this not all relative though given the size of the device? The bigger battery has to power that huge display.

Nope, not according to the reviews, YouTube videos and Apple's own specs. Yes, more power is needed, but the battery is sufficiently big enough that it does all that *plus* has juice left over to actually increase battery life (reports are an increase of about 15% - 20%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ohsomuchbetter

Ordered a case for the 6+ as that's the model I preordered and it came today. It is giganticly big compared to the 5! I'm hoping it doesn't take too long to get used to!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedLegend

Out of curiosity where did you order from? I ordered a case from i-blason and it still hasn't even shipped. Fear it won't be here till well after I get my phone and I'll be left using my 5 for fear of my 6 picking up damage

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ohsomuchbetter

Ordered it on Thursday from spigen! So fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

They actually deleted anything negative said about the iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

test2014 wrote: »

Who did? And are all of your posts just bashing Apple? It gets a bit tiresome...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Who did? Please confine this discussion to the new phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads anyone who's bought a 6 or 6+ can you go online to Apple to buy your AppleCare for the phone from the Irish store or if you purchased the phone from the Apple UK store do you have to purchase it from the UK site?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lads anyone who's bought a 6 or 6+ can you go online to Apple to buy your AppleCare for the phone from the Irish store or if you purchased the phone from the Apple UK store do you have to purchase it from the UK site?

According to the guys in the apple store Belfast you can buy online from the Irish store. I'm planning to buy it later so I'll let you know.

I'm sure it was also mentioned you need to buy it using the phone but perhaps I misheard. I think the purchase process includes a quick device check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Graham wrote: »
    According to the guys in the apple store Belfast you can buy online from the Irish store. I'm planning to buy it later so I'll let you know.

I'm sure it was also mentioned you need to buy it using the phone but perhaps I misheard. I think the purchase process includes a quick device check.

Just pre ordered on o2 prepay there now online.
    Porting over from meteor.

Rang customer care and it's a 2-3 day delivery time from Friday so have the port lined up for next Tuesday.

€649 for a 16gb silver 6, 4.7". €30 per month, unlimited calls and texts and 1 gb data.

That'll do me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

A lot of people on twitter reporting that the 6 plus is susceptible to bending from being in your front or back pocket, anyone with a 6 plus noticed anything like this? Will hopefully be ordering one when its officially released to us
    https://twitter.com/YahooTech/status/514508167871746048

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭copey

I've just ordered mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Simply Red wrote: »
    A lot of people on twitter reporting that the 6 plus is susceptible to bending from being in your front or back pocket, anyone with a 6 plus noticed anything like this? Will hopefully be ordering one when its officially released to us

I'd imagine it would take a fair bit of force to bend the phone, even if in your back pocket, I can't imagine it bending at all in the front one. I don't know why anybody would keep a phone in their back pocket, especially a large sized one like this, unless they planned on purposely doing so.

Unbox Therapy has uploaded a video to YouTube testing it out, haven't watched it yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Isn't this reported every year with each new phone? And more likely with larger devices in general anyway?
    I wouldn't keep any phone in the back pocket for that reason. Presume it'd be fine in the front, especially with a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

This guy bent it with his hands.

Simply Red wrote: »

Didnt notice that at all. Didnt feel any more bendy than the Note 3. But them pictures dont lie. That phone is destroyed already.

Probably hot countries, Phone on hot for a long time then into a tight pair of jeans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If someone was thinking they'd get an iPhone 6+ and carry it around in their jeans I'd be thinking twice. This might be a Big Deal.

mad muffin wrote: »
    This guy bent it with his hands.

Lads I know you think i just have a chip for Apple but i dont. Im telling you now this phone is a disaster. Im telling you from experience. Go with the 6 and not the 6plus. Leave the 6plus til next year till they fix all this crap and good apps come out.

He literally bent that phone with his bare hands. Thats a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Dades wrote: »
    If someone was thinking they'd get an iPhone 6+ and carry it around in their jeans I'd be thinking twice. This might be a Big Deal.

To be honest it's probably turned me off it. I use e-cigs and have broken a couple of batteries or cartridges while they were in my front pocket. They would obviously be more fragile and to do so requires an unusual movement (most recently bending over to change a wheel) but an expensive piece of kit like that bending relatively easily is not a good sign.

I've had other phablets and they didn't do that so there's no excuse for that happening. I had decided on the 6 plus until I saw these reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Lads I know you think i just have a chip for Apple but i dont. Im telling you now this phone is a disaster. Im telling you from experience. Go with the 6 and not the 6plus. Leave the 6plus til next year till they fix all this crap and good apps come out.

He literally bent that phone with his bare hands. Thats a joke.

Would you expect a grown man to be unable to bend an aluminium phone with his hands? :confused:

I think people are getting worked up a bit too quickly and easily here. All phones are susceptible to bending: http://www.cultofmac.com/297404/get-bent-shocking-history-bent-smartphones/

I'd expect an iPad mini to bend if I stuck it in my pocket and sat down with it. iPhone 6+ isn't much smaller.

Having said that, glad I went with the iPhone 6 as it'll be less likely given it's a smaller device.

I'd be one of those people. To be honest it's probably turned me off it. I use e-cigs and have broken a couple of batteries or cartridges while they were in my front pocket. They would obviously be more fragile and to so requires an unusual movement (most recently bending over to change a wheel) but an expensive piece of kit like that bending relatively easily is not a good sign.

I've had other phablets and they didn't do that so there's no excuse for that happening.

Cracked the screen then putting it back.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/23/apple-iphone-6-plus-bend-test-video/

Someone is gonna make a fortune selling cases to fix the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You're bending it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Cracked the screen then putting it back.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/23/apple-iphone-6-plus-bend-test-video/

Someone is gonna make a fortune selling cases to fix the issue.

To be fair he should have dismantled it to bend it back. That would be obvious to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

You're bending it wrong.

No you're sitting wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    No you're sitting wrong
    Thats_the_joke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Well you heard the man. Cancel all your pre-orders...dump your apple shares now!!!!!

Advertisement