Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bend-gate: the latest made-up iPhone controversy that everyone will forget about in a few weeks.

Every year it’s the same crap. Youtube videos of iPhone drop tests, grip tests, knife tests, car crash tests, smash tests, hammer tests, melt tests, toaster tests, sodium hydroxide tests, liquid nitrogen tests, it goes on and on and on. These people need to get a life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Bend-gate: the latest made-up iPhone controversy that everyone will forget about in a few weeks.

Every year it’s the same crap. Youtube videos of iPhone drop tests, grip tests, knife tests, car crash tests, smash tests, hammer tests, melt tests, toaster tests, sodium hydroxide tests, liquid nitrogen tests, it goes on and on and on. These people need to get a life.

Apple releases new iPhone
    Everyone tests it until some issue arises
    Add 'Gate' to the end of the word

You now have your new Apple controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Newsflash: phones aren't indestructible. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Love the size and feel of the iPhone 6. Just got it yesterday, it's bordering on the top-big even so I'm glad I didn't choose the plus version! The rounded edges feel gorgeous when you swipe across the screen, so comfortable and ergonomic. Gonna take a bit of getting used to, especially in terms of grip, but already I love it.

P.S. Does anyone else keep pressing the top right edge to find the power button? :) After 5 years of iPhone usage, it's going to take some time to get into the practice of pressing the side to switch it on and off. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Zcott wrote: »

The phone bends with not a lot of pressure. When it's something that can't be bent back into shape it shouldn't happen relatively easily like shown.

A situation where a phone of that size bends accidentally isn't inconceivable and as such the case should have been made stronger. They messed up, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Zcott wrote: »

It's a design flaw, get over it. Would you be happy if you splashed all that cash on one and it bent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So far we have one video of a guy bending the Plus in his hands using a lot of pressure - his hands are shacking as he bends it! I wouldn't consider that relatively easy or accidental. The fact the screen didn't break and the phone is still functional is impressive.

The only other report I read was from someone who admitted it happened after a night of drinking and dancing - the same way smartphones usually get broke.

iPhone 6 Is the Most Durable iPhone Yet, Says Insurer

It survived being submerged in water for 10 seconds. And while it’s more vulnerable than the regular 6 model, they still found the Plus to be more durable than the Samsung S5.

092214_iPhone6Breakability.png

You can read the full report here.

So far we have one video of a guy bending the Plus in his hands using a lot of pressure - his hands are shacking as he bends it! I wouldn't consider that relatively easy or accidental. The fact the screen didn't break and the phone is still functional is impressive.

The only other report I read was from someone who admitted it happened after a night of drinking and dancing - the same way smartphones usually get broke.

He bent it to an extreme shape - I can't ever see that being done in someone's pocket. But if it was in a tight jeans and you bent over it's entirely conceivable that a small bend can be made quite easily which still shouldn't happen. Hopefully they strengthen the area to remedy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

test2014 wrote: »
    Lads I know you think i just have a chip for Apple but i dont. Im telling you now this phone is a disaster. Im telling you from experience. Go with the 6 and not the 6plus. Leave the 6plus til next year till they fix all this crap and good apps come out.

He literally bent that phone with his bare hands. Thats a joke.

Yeah. You were Apples biggest fan until you bought a in a different country and compared it unfavourably to an unreleased galaxy note. Joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    It's a design flaw, get over it. Would you be happy if you splashed all that cash on one and it bent?

If I spent all that money on it and put it in situations where damage was likely to occur, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't keep my phone in a tight pocket or in a pocket with change or keys in it. It's called taking precautions. For some, that's a case, for others, it's just being careful.

He bent it to an extreme shape - I can't ever see that being done in someone's pocket. But if it was in a tight jeans and you bent over it's entirely conceivable that a small bend can be made quite easily which still shouldn't happen. Hopefully they strengthen the area to remedy it.

We haven’t seen YouTube tests for that yet (I’m sure they are coming) but wasn’t it already generally agreed that the Plus was too big to carry in skinny jeans anyway? I’m not a fan of these phablets, but anyone I see with them usually has a man bag or purse for carrying them around.

We haven’t seen YouTube tests for that yet (I’m sure they are coming) but wasn’t it already generally agreed that the Plus was too big to carry in skinny jeans anyway? I’m not a fan of these phablets, but anyone I see with them usually has a man bag or purse for carrying them around.

Never had an issue carrying them in any pants I've had, even tighter ones. Getting into the car with a phone in the pocket of a normal pants would have the effect of tight pants anyway due to the seating position, but it should still survive that - that's not extreme usage requiring additional protection like some people seem to think.

I can't say I've ever seen anyone needing a bag to carry a phablet around. Laptops yes but if someone required a man bag to carry a phablet they should maybe think about staying at home and wrapping themselves in cotton wool:D:p

The inevitable You Tube tests should be interesting though, I bet there will be slight bends as a result but nothing like what has been shown by the video with it done by hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was just getting over the gimped RAM owing to the great camera reviews. I'll see how this plays out, it could be internet hysteria or it may be an actual issue. It's enough to make me hold off on ordering Friday. Either way, if a phone can't survive reasonable usage such as "surviving a pocket"*, it isn't fit for purpose. There's been plenty of large form factor devices before the plus, so it'll be interesting to see comparative analysis.

*FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

My phablet has survived my skinny jeans for the last couple of years anyway. It's always in my pocket. I can only imagine that there was more involved then the phone just getting bent in his pocket. I've had friends crack a screen of phone in pocket but usually leaning against something etc.

And the guy bending with hands, I dunno if my phone would take kindly to that :)

Edit: going by further reports, maybe I'm wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And the inevitable follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Meh, if it does turn out to bean issue at least buyers know apple will replace them with no fuss. It's the main reason I buy direct from Apple rather than through a carrier.

Meh, if it does turn out to bean issue at least buyers know apple will replace them with no fuss. It's the main reason I buy direct from Apple rather than through a carrier.

Would it not be better that rather than getting it replaced by Apple it didn't happen at all? Or at least a solution was found?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Disgrace that this is happening to such an expensive device http://www.geek.com/apple/iphone-6s-are-being-bent-in-peoples-pockets-including-mine-1605177/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How are people making excuses for this? Fans like Apple and want to defend it, I get it, but surely a pricey piece of kit like the iPhone should be able to stand up to the rigors of a modern pocket? The build quality of the iPhones is often quoted as one of their strong selling points by fans, so surely they have to acknowledge when that aspect of the design is lacking. I am not an Apple hater btw, I own a Mac and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

P.S. Does anyone else keep pressing the top right edge to find the power button? :) After 5 years of iPhone usage, it's going to take some time to get into the practice of pressing the side to switch it on and off. :pac:

Yeah! All the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

How are people making excuses for this? Fans like Apple and want to defend it, I get it, but surely a pricey piece of kit like the iPhone should be able to stand up to the rigors of a modern pocket? The build quality of the iPhones is often quoted as one of their strong selling points by fans, so surely they have to acknowledge when that aspect of the design is lacking. I am not an Apple hater btw, I own a Mac and I love it.

Whens the 6c being released?

The unapologetically plastic model might actually survive a day in your pocket.

Also get lost Android fanboy. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The should call the next iphone the iphone7 gate so we can have the iphone 7 gate gate when it's out.

These phones aren’t bending by themselves. So far we’ve only the word of anonymous people on the internet that they weren’t sitting with their iPhone Plus in the back pocket of their jeans when it "accidentally" happened. I’m sure we’ve all had the experience of passing a phone or computer in perfect condition onto a family member or friend and then watching in horror as that condition deteriorates through misuse. Not everyone is so careful with their things.

Given the design, I’ve no doubt that the iPhone 6 is potentially more vulnerable to bending than previous iPhones despite being, as the test I posted above shows, more durable in other ways. The 4S was more resistant to scratching than the 3GS but more likely to shatter if dropped. The 5 was more vulnerable to dents and chips and so on. An improvement in one area of durability is always going to mean a trade-off in another. It doesn’t mean the design is faulty.

Now, if three months from now 10 to 25 percent or more of the 10 million iPhone 6s sold start to show signs of deformity, then we can say it’s a problem. But so far all we have is the usual hysterical bulls*t that accompanies every iPhone re-design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

Made-up? People have been recognising their devices are bent without stressing the phone so they are sharing the info, then when some journos check theirs before they write a piece up about it they find theirs bent too. Doesn't seem like the issue is just affecting a small number of devices either.

The people defending Apple for making such a fragile device need to get a life. It shouldn't be accepted that "this is just the way they're made", that is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

These phones aren’t bending by themselves. So far we’ve only the word of anonymous people on the internet

Some of the most reputable unboxers and critics in the world are Anonymous people on the internet?

They literally have millions of Subscribers! There the first to go to for an honest review.

Just stop trying to make excuses for the poor design just cause its Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Now, if three months from now 10 to 25 percent or more of the 10 million iPhone 6s sold start to show signs of deformity, then we can say it’s a problem. But so far all we have is the usual hysterical bulls*t that accompanies every iPhone re-design.

The 6Plus is bending. Not the 6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

There's three schools at play here:
    • Defend Apple no matter what
    • Pounce on any chance to bash Apple
    • Ignore the hyperbole and wait for more data before making an informed decision.
    Let's all be #3, no? It's very early days and the media just looove an iPhone story. There may be a big issue, or it may be exaggerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems to be a widely reported problem lads. It's all over twitter.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

The people defending Apple for making such a fragile device need to get a life.

The people who routinely look for anything negative about Apple products when they launch are hardly living on a higher plane of consciousness either.

Advertisement