Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

When Apple aim at the higher end of the market and charge big bucks for their devices they are leaving themselves more open to criticism. I do agree that there are people who just want to hate Apple though, that fuels the criticism to an extent. But they are no better than the people who jump to the defense of Apple no matter what the evidence is. (I'm not saying there is solid evidence for the "bendgate", just a general observation)

Has there been another major smartphone release where this kind of issue arose so early? Samsung I suppose are the only ones in the same price bracket and I don't remember claims of this nature being made against their phones. Happy to be corrected there. Again, not an Android fan boy, merely trying to pick a competitor with a similar pricing plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

At least people still have the 6 as an option. Just means the 6Plus will not get as many sales but people will still go for the 6 instead.

This will make no difference as when its fixed for the next generation they will have better apps and proper design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

For me the main issue with the 6 plus is the scaling. It points to greater screen density that will arrive with the next update. It reminds me of the iPad 3 - it was somewhat rushed out and replaced fairly sharpish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

These phones aren’t bending by themselves. So far we’ve only the word of anonymous people on the internet that they weren’t sitting with their iPhone Plus in the back pocket of their jeans when it "accidentally" happened. I’m sure we’ve all had the experience of passing a phone or computer in perfect condition onto a family member or friend and then watching in horror as that condition deteriorates through misuse. Not everyone is so careful with their things. It amazes me how whatever brand a product originates from there are people who will stand up against any logical thought and as good as deny these things. The fact appears to be that this is entirely possible to damage it noticeably in a year or twos use is a serious oversight.

Given the design, I’ve no doubt that the iPhone 6 is potentially more vulnerable to bending than previous iPhones despite being, as the test I posted above shows, more durable in other ways. The 4S was more resistant to scratching than the 3GS but more likely to shatter if dropped. The 5 was more vulnerable to dents and chips and so on. An improvement in one area of durability is always going to mean a trade-off in another. It doesn’t mean the design is faulty.

Now, if three months from now 10 to 25 percent or more of the 10 million iPhone 6s sold start to show signs of deformity, then we can say it’s a problem. But so far all we have is the usual hysterical bulls*t that accompanies every iPhone re-design.

Hysterical bull? From being reasonably happy with my 5s I actively considered the 6 plus but if there is mounting evidence to show that it is not all that robust it certainly warrants discussion. I don't want to spend the bones of a grand on something that isn't fit for purpose. It's true that there has always been people pick up on quality issues in the early days but discounting or dismissing them is fanboyism. Remember the chipping finish on the 5s? I recall a similar sentiment here around that time and that proved to be a problem for a lot of people.

The message is loud and clear here - if you are going to say anything negative you are an Apple basher. Before anyone incorrectly accuses me of being an Android/Windows fanboy I think I'll make my own mind up on a purchase in the coming days based on how this pans out but for the moment the build is suspect on the 6 Plus at least. Unfortunately the 6 doesn't interest me in the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Seems to be a widely reported problem lads. It's all over twitter.

So is the moon landing being fake...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The message is loud and clear here - if you are going to say anything negative you are an Apple basher. Before anyone incorrectly accuses me of being an Android/Windows fanboy I think I'll make my own mind up on a purchase in the coming days based on how this pans out but for the moment the build is suspect on the 6 Plus at least. Unfortunately the 6 doesn't interest me in the least.

Those are your words. I said and implied nothing of the sort.

I acknowledged in my post above that the iPhone 6 may be more vulnerable to bending than previous iPhones and that this may well prove to be a widespread problem, but that it’s too early to say yet. Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on anonymous reports of phones bending in pockets and a Youtube video of a guy forcibly bending a phone in his hands, which has been reblogged, retweeted a million times by now. If that makes me a “Defend Apple no matter what” person then whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Those are your words. I said and implied nothing of the sort.

I acknowledged in my post above that the iPhone 6 may be more vulnerable to bending than previous iPhones and that this may well prove to be a widespread problem, but that it’s too early to say yet. Everyone is jumping to conclusions based on anonymous reports of phones bending in pockets and a Youtube video of a guy forcibly bending a phone in his hands, which has been reblogged, retweeted a million times by now. If that makes me a “Defend Apple no matter what” person then whatever.

The part in bold isn't directed at anyone in particular, just the sentiments over the last number of pages.

The fact that it is even possible to do a distortion like that without taking out a lump hammer to it isn't a great sign at such an early point and indicates that as a long term proposal it might not be a great choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

When Apple aim at the higher end of the market and charge big bucks for their devices they are leaving themselves more open to criticism. I do agree that there are people who just want to hate Apple though, that fuels the criticism to an extent. But they are no better than the people who jump to the defense of Apple no matter what the evidence is. (I'm not saying there is solid evidence for the "bendgate", just a general observation)

Has there been another major smartphone release where this kind of issue arose so early? Samsung I suppose are the only ones in the same price bracket and I don't remember claims of this nature being made against their phones. Happy to be corrected there. Again, not an Android fan boy, merely trying to pick a competitor with a similar pricing plan.

Well apparently you can bend those phones as well.

Apple news generates more publicity. They also sell millions of phones in a weekend. If even 1% of phones had a defect it would be all over the news.

You can bend this phone with force, just as you can break it with force. With the 4S you couldn't bend it but you could break it. Either can happen in a pocket however rare. Given that they sold millions so far, the statistical likelihood is that it will happen to somebody and he uploads it to twitter. This is probably like antenna gate.

Apples solution should be to say its not very common, to replace all instances and to give away a bumper. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Well apparently you can bend those phones as well.

Apple news generates more publicity. They also sell millions of phones in a weekend. If even 1% of phones had a defect it would be all over the news.

You can bend this phone with force, just as you can break it with force. With the 4S you couldn't bend it but you could break it. Either can happen in a pocket however rare. Given that they sold millions so far, the statistical likelihood is that it will happen to somebody and he uploads it to twitter. This is probably like antenna gate.

Apples solution should be to say its not very common, to replace all instances and to give away a bumper. Job done.

Perhaps they should actually test the product more before releasing it and then they wont have to release a bumber to prevent your phone from bending. In what way is this acceptable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm actually really surprised that this bending "problem" has picked up so much attention. The problem with this is the "news" sites that are desperate for any news to post e.g. The Mirror are all posting this story with little information. Then everybody jumps on it and all of a sudden it's a huge defect with the new iPhone.

So far I've seen 3 reports and two videos of forcible bending. That's out of over 10 millions devices sold. Complete rubbish imo, people looking for an excuse to bash Apple. If 5% of these devices surffer this problem then fair enough, it's a flaw but you can't base it on such insignificant numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok the original person that complained about it was attending a wedding and had the phone in his front left suit pants pocket for approx 18 hours and the phone bent. To me thats an issue. Weddings are long events and suits arent exactly like jeans so if it can bend within a day in suits then how quick would it be in jeans. I would wait for more reports of it tho before mass hysteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I know it's a thing that Apple in particular like the tump out every time they launch a new phone, but really do people actually want a phone that thin? I thought the 5S was a perfect size when it came to thickness and if you do find you don't need as much space with your latest model, put a bigger battery in it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I know it's a thing that Apple in particular like the tump out every time they launch a new phone, but really do people actually want a phone that thin? I thought the 5S was a perfect size when it came to thickness and if you do find you don't need as much space with your latest model, put a bigger battery in it!

I think Apple’s concern is more with volume than thinness. People want larger screen phones but they also want to be able to use them one-handed. A 4.7-inch iPhone with the same thickness as the 5 would be more difficult to use one-handed.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I'm actually really surprised that this bending "problem" has picked up so much attention. The problem with this is the "news" sites that are desperate for any news to post e.g. The Mirror are all posting this story with little information. Then everybody jumps on it and all of a sudden it's a huge defect with the new iPhone.

So far I've seen 3 reports and two videos of forcible bending. That's out of over 10 millions devices sold. Complete rubbish imo, people looking for an excuse to bash Apple. If 5% of these devices surffer this problem then fair enough, it's a flaw but you can't base it on such insignificant numbers.

1 - !0 million includes pre-orders and sales of 6 and 6Plus. Not 10 million in pockets. Imagine how many at a time a shop orders to get a bulk discount.
    2 - The problem is with the 6Plus.
    3 - Just cause the Mirror retweets it doesn't take away the credibility of Lewis Hilsenteger who is one of the best and unbiased unboxers on YouTube. When someone calls him anonymous they are talking complete ****. If you want an honest review on new tech hes probably your first choice or close to first.
    4 - If they are all produced the same with the same materials it means 100% of them suffer with the problem. Far from 5%.

They didn’t do a back jeans pocket test, but otherwise the iPhone 6 held up pretty well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

1 - !0 million includes pre-orders and sales of 6 and 6Plus. Not 10 million in pockets. Imagine how many at a time a shop orders to get a bulk discount.
    2 - The problem is with the 6Plus.
    3 - Just cause the Mirror retweets it doesn't take away the credibility of Lewis Hilsenteger who is one of the best and unbiased unboxers on YouTube. When someone calls him anonymous they are talking complete ****. If you want an honest review on new tech hes probably your first choice or close to first.
    4 - If they are all produced the same with the same materials it means 100% of them suffer with the problem. Far from 5%.

1. Yeah but the release date has been reached, so all those pre-orders have been purchased and collected. That was also the opening figures for the first weekend, it's 5 days since launch so even taking numbers from that 10 million it's still a huge number.
    2. The Mirror, Ladbible, those small sites all report the iPhone problem that "the iPhone 6 bends, it's a huge problem". The reality is absolutely tiny numbers, it's all over the top click bait trying to get advertising money.
    3. I know and love Unbox Therapys videos, I'm not doubting they he bent the phone, but he bent it with forcible strength. His hands were shaking.

All I'm saying is wait a while before jumping to conclusions. It could be a non-issue like nearly every other problem that 'gate' gets added to the end of.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Antenna-gate was a real problem that should never have happened. So much that Apple had to offer millions of users a free bumper case. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but that one cost them actual money to make go away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The queues in Grand Central on Monday were unreal with people activating new iPhones. They nada room with tables cordoned off with hundreds of phones ready to be sold, and opening new boxes of them every couple of minutes. They wouldn't allow me to take a photo the miserable twats ;-). The plus is definitely too big, as far as I can see, only for use in a handbag or big jacket pocket. I don't think it would actually go in my jeans pocket. 6 is as big as a phone should go, IMO. Still they are very nice, rounded body is good, feels very, very light compared to my 5S. On target to smash previous launch records according to analysts over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Dades wrote: »
    Antenna-gate was a real problem that should never have happened. So much that Apple had to offer millions of users a free bumper case. They say there's no such thing as bad publicity but that one cost them actual money to make go away.

and launching a phone that bends in peoples pockets couldn't have been prevented?

You should read the post I was quoting for context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Dades wrote: »
    You should read the post I was quoting for context.

I did? antenna gate phones were sold with preventable problems too?

I can't understand how the design was let through without proper mechanical stress testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,475 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Won't somebody please think of the children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Hows the battery life on the new 6?
    Love iphones but getting seriously pissed off with how long the battery lasts on my 5!

burkey85 wrote: »
    Love iphones but getting seriously pissed off with how long the battery lasts on my 5!

About the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I'm on a 5 now, perfectly happy with it tbh, but my contract is up, and the current sim free contracts here in austria aren't too appealing tbh.

So I'm very tempted to take the iphone 6. But being so new, the contract packages aren't anywhere near as good as my current package.

In the opinions of those who have purchased it, would you go from 5 to 6 with a not so great package.

Also, is there any point in asking for a reasonable chat on decent options moving away from apple, I've been with apple for 7 years and have no major gripes with them, but aren't blindly loyal either.

I like the speed, size and specs of the 5, though ios8 is runnin like a pig on it at the mo

Cheers

I'm on a 5 now, perfectly happy with it tbh, but my contract is up, and the current sim free contracts here in austria aren't too appealing tbh.

So I'm very tempted to take the iphone 6. But being so new, the contract packages aren't anywhere near as good as my current package.

In the opinions of those who have purchased it, would you go from 5 to 6 with a not so great package.

Also, is there any point in asking for a reasonable chat on decent options moving away from apple, I've been with apple for 7 years and have no major gripes with them, but aren't blindly loyal either.

I like the speed, size and specs of the 5, though ios8 is runnin like a pig on it at the mo

Cheers

Go into shop and see for yourself.

Cant mention the A word around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭needinghelp

burkey85 wrote: »

There is a problem with the battery in some iPhone 5's. There is a link that you can check your phone (I can't post URL's yet). I checked the link and I qualified so rang Apple and they organise a courier and u get the phone back in a few days with new battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

There is a problem with the battery in some iPhone 5's. There is a link that you can check your phone (I can't post URL's yet). I checked the link and I qualified so rang Apple and they organise a courier and u get the phone back in a few days with new battery.

Can you type the link?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    I did? antenna gate phones were sold with preventable problems too?
    The post I quoted implied the bending issue wasn't a real problem and suggested it was like the antenna one. I disagreed insofar as the antenna issue was in fact a big flaw.

Advertisement