Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Dades wrote: »
    The post I quoted implied the bending issue wasn't a real problem and suggested it was like the antenna one. I disagreed insofar as the antenna issue was in fact a big flaw.

Well i agree with you there ,but i also think the bending issue is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If this turns out to be a common issue then I'd have very serious concerns over the batteries in those phones. I know it is possible to make a battery that is flexible nowadays, so perhaps Apple included that technology as a safety precaution, but otherwise I can't help thinking that they might be a fire hazard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

whiterebel wrote: »
    The plus is definitely too big, as far as I can see, only for use in a handbag or big jacket pocket. I don't think it would actually go in my jeans pocket. 6 is as big as a phone should go, IMO.

I'd love one actually, but I too agree with you, my iPhone 5C free upgrade is already a bit big [though I love it] ~ I'd love the big one too but. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

About the same.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

These phones aren’t bending by themselves. So far we’ve only the word of anonymous people on the internet that they weren’t sitting with their iPhone Plus in the back pocket of their jeans when it "accidentally" happened. I’m sure we’ve all had the experience of passing a phone or computer in perfect condition onto a family member or friend and then watching in horror as that condition deteriorates through misuse. Not everyone is so careful with their things.

Given the design, I’ve no doubt that the iPhone 6 is potentially more vulnerable to bending than previous iPhones despite being, as the test I posted above shows, more durable in other ways. The 4S was more resistant to scratching than the 3GS but more likely to shatter if dropped. The 5 was more vulnerable to dents and chips and so on. An improvement in one area of durability is always going to mean a trade-off in another. It doesn’t mean the design is faulty.

Now, if three months from now 10 to 25 percent or more of the 10 million iPhone 6s sold start to show signs of deformity, then we can say it’s a problem. But so far all we have is the usual hysterical bulls*t that accompanies every iPhone re-design.

It not a design change that increased durability that's the problem, it's due to it's thinness. We have now reached the limit of how thin metal devices can get without a breakthrough in material science.

Any thinner and they won't be durable.

I've seen someone mention bumpers as a possible solution. Unfortunately this won't work. The only solution is an outer metal case, which would have to be so designed as not to affect signal quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

I've seen someone mention bumpers as a possible solution. Unfortunately this won't work. The only solution is an outer metal case, which would have to be so designed as not to affect signal quality

Carbon fibre?

It not a design change that increased durability that's the problem, it's due to it's thinness. We have now reached the limit of how thin metal devices can get without a breakthrough in material science.

No , proper design and the right materials and this won't happen.

Phd Materials Student

edit- even I can think of a few ways of stopping this happening off the top of my head. PM me apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

papu wrote: »
    No , proper design and the right materials and this won't happen.

Phd Materials Student

edit- even I can think of a few ways of stopping this happening off the top of my head. PM me apple.

I'm not being smart (and I'm sure Apple are all over this already) but can you enlighten us as to what can be done if you already had one?

I'm not being smart (and I'm sure Apple are all over this already) but can you enlighten us as to what can be done if you already had one?

Oh I meant for a future preventative design pov , I cant see anyway of bending it back , you'll always have a weak point there and it'll just keep happening until the case cracks.

They'll have to give out free cases for all the ones sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Before this story blew up people where already saying the phone is too thin and they would much prefer a bigger battery and phone. They can kill 2 birds with one stone by simply putting a bigger battery and back on the next design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

naasrd wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Nonsense is it?

Why not tell us about your magic battery that is different to everyone elses

http://bgr.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-vs-iphone-6-plus-battery-life/

20 mins more it lasts. You still trying to convince people your battery stays at 100% when you use it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Unboxer dude has given the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 the bendgate treatment alongside several Android phones. The iPhone 6 survives, as do the Androids, although the HTC One’s screen pops out quite easily. The curved back on the other phones obviously gives them a big advantage.

Oh and here’s another unboxer guy talking a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Oh and here’s another unboxer guy talking a lot of sense.

So basically, a magnesium frame prevents all the other phones from having the same problem.

You can bet Apple will be making a huge deal about the new magnesium frame in the iPhone 6S next year.

mrkite77 wrote: »
    So basically, a magnesium frame prevents all the other phones from having the same problem.

You can bet Apple will be making a huge deal about the new magnesium frame in the iPhone 6S next year.

I liked the part where he said it was an issue with the previous generation of iphones...

GG apple..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I liked the part where he said it was an issue with the previous generation of iphones...

GG apple..

..and other phones...

... under extreme pressure...

l2read papu :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Carbon fibre?

A coating of Depleted Uranium would do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

What about that liquid metal stuff Apple are/were using for their sim ejector tools?

..and other phones...

... under extreme pressure...

l2read papu :D

Yeah the Samsung s4 did , funny how the s5 didn't , almost as if they fixed the issue ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Rather than turning this into another thread about bending iPhones (isn't there already one for that?)...

I finally got a hands on this morning with two units, a Space Grey 6 and a Gold 6 plus. I was lucky enough to use them alongside a Galaxy S5 and a Note 3 which was great to able to compare them. All great phones, it has to be said and I'm far from an Android fan. The S5 in particular stole a lot of love from me which I wasn't expecting. Although how it would integrate itself into an Apple ecosystem I'm not sure...

My first impressions were that the iPhone 6 wasn't enough of a change from the 5. That might piss some people off, but it is just a bigger iPhone. Maybe some might like the consistency, but if I'm going to drop a lot of money on a device, I would like more from it if that makes sense. It does feel amazing in the hand mind, and is a really nice weight too (lighter than the 5 which I was surprised by). However, it's not for me.

The 6 plus is monstrous. I had been playing with a Note 3 previously and that felt more comfortable in my hand than the 6. I think the rounded edges make the 6 plus feel more slippery than I would like. Could easily be rectified with a case perhaps? I really liked it though. Yes it's big and likely bendy, but it is a whole new thing in the Apple world. For me the 6 plus is the one to go for, followed closely by the Galaxy S5.

If anyone is interested in pricing, Meteor are offering the 64GB 6 plus at €349.99 on a two year €49.99pm contract with unlimited calls and texts and 6GB of 4G data. My 64GB iPhone 6 plus in Space Grey is on order :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yeah the Samsung s4 did , funny how the s5 didn't , almost as if they fixed the issue ..

Been walking around with an S5 for the past week in my pocket and I got to tell you, coming from an older thicker phone, it makes me nervous having such a thin device. It just feels like it's more likely to get damaged. Not that it will or has. But damn is it thin.

Been walking around with an S5 for the past week in my pocket and I got to tell you, coming from an older thicker phone, it makes me nervous having such a thin device. It just feels like it's more likely to get damaged. Not that it will or has. But damn is it thin.

Even though its screen is bigger , The s5 is thicker than the s4..
    has a bigger battery etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Can we keep this thread for 6/6+ impressions , as per the title please? Discussions of the bendiness of phones can be discussed in the appropriate threads.

I picked up a 64gb 6+ yesterday in Belfast. First impressions on using the display one in store were that it was absolutely massive. And it is. The screen is noticeably better resolution than the iPhone 5 which I upgraded from. Text seems much sharper. It's amazing how quickly you get used to the bigger screen. I've gone back to the 5 today to see how it feels in comparison, and i could never go back to that size screen again. It feels tiny. I got a leather case for it and it feels a lot better in the case, much better grip. I still feel slightly self conscious taking it out of my pocket , as it is huge , but that'll pass.
    To sum up, on first impression you will think there is no way you could use a screen that big, but trust me, use it for a while and you will never want to go back to a smaller size .

Edit : forgot to mention the battery life. With my 5, id find myself charging it minimum twice a day and sometimes 3 times. I've been using this fairly heavily since yesterday afternoon and battery still on 43%. You will easily get a full days heavy usage out of it, which for me is a huge thing. I've taken to having a charger in work, a charger in the car and a charger at home due to how bad the battery life in the 5 had gotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sounds good, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the battery life is always reasonably good when the device is brand new in my experience. My 5 was pretty good too for the first month or two and now it's hopeless.
    If people are still seeing good battery life by Xmas then I'll be impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drumzone

Got my 128 space grey iphone 6 last Friday and I really like it. Love the bigger screen. So, on monday while on messenger the keyboard disappeared!!! And also on Facebook. It came back after I closed the app. Not happened since. Then the orientation stopped working !! Had to turn phone off for a minute and when I turned it back on it was fine. Lastly, I've 4 pages of apps, when I'm on the last page and press the home button to go to the first page it is sooooo laggy. But when I keep going to the last page then home button to the first about 5 times it runs very smooth. Has anyone else had any of these problems. They are quite minor i know but just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Sounds good,

You are aware that some of the iP5 phones had bad batteries.

My iP4 is 4 years old and not showing any decrease. Anytime I have a problem it's always been and app trying to use location services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

drumzone wrote: »
    Got my 128 space grey iphone 6 last Friday and I really like it. Love the bigger screen. So, on monday while on messenger the keyboard disappeared!!! And also on Facebook. It came back after I closed the app. Not happened since.

Yep this happened me a few times with messenger. I'm thinking its a bug in the app running in iOS 8, and will probably be fixed in the next update for messenger. Still, it's a bit disconcerting when the keyboard disappears from view and you have nothing to type on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Enough of the bickering,

thread needs WAY MOAR pics of both in action to keep me tided over until I get my 6 at 9am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Someone just tell me, iphone 6 or S5?!!!
    Based on battery life and ease of use! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

burkey85 wrote: »
    Someone just tell me, iphone 6 or S5?!!!
    Based on battery life and ease of use! :)

No-ones going to know real life battery usage yet. You should try and get to a shop that even has a non working model of the 6, as it is a big jump from the 5S.

Advertisement