Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

So I finally got to play around with both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus today.

First impressions of the 6 are that it feels like just an incremental upgrade on my 5S. Its certainly a very nice and well put together phone, but I just do not feel like shelling out the €'s on it.

The 6 Plus on the other hand feels great. I have used the S5 and Note 3 a fair bit through work, so I would be used to those phablet size phones.
    The screen is just a joy to use, glad now I stuck with my decision to pre order it.

And no, I did not try to bend it. :)

Roll on October 10th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Roll on October 10th.

You might be in luck, apparently some competing phone manufacturers are in such a blind panic about the success of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+, October 10th is coming early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

whiterebel wrote: »
    No-ones going to know real life battery usage yet. You should try and get to a shop that even has a non working model of the 6, as it is a big jump from the 5S.

Meteor in Waterford can't even give me a release date on the 6!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

drumzone wrote: »
    Got my 128 space grey iphone 6 last Friday and I really like it. Love the bigger screen. So, on monday while on messenger the keyboard disappeared!!! And also on Facebook. It came back after I closed the app. Not happened since. Then the orientation stopped working !! Had to turn phone off for a minute and when I turned it back on it was fine. Lastly, I've 4 pages of apps, when I'm on the last page and press the home button to go to the first page it is sooooo laggy. But when I keep going to the last page then home button to the first about 5 times it runs very smooth. Has anyone else had any of these problems. They are quite minor i know but just curious.

The keyboard issue and orientation are known problems. Even the verge review mentioned them. I'm having both problems too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How are people finding one-handed use with the 4.7-inch? It’s my biggest hesitation about the 6. That and the overall volume of the device, which while less than equivalent Android handsets, is still greater than the 5, which I think is almost perfect. But I’ve read many reports which suggest the curved sides and extra thinness compensate for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

How are people finding one-handed use with the 4.7-inch? It’s my biggest hesitation about the 6. That and the overall volume of the device, which while less than equivalent Android handsets, is still greater than the 5, which I think is almost perfect. But I’ve read many reports which suggest the curved sides and extra thinness compensate for this.

Unless you have big hands or long thumbs. One handed use is possible but not nearly as easy as the 5.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

mad muffin wrote: »
    Unless you have big hands or long thumbs. One handed use is possible but not nearly as easy as the 5.

Are you using the double tap on the home button to bring the top half of the screen down? I'm trying to remind myself it's there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

All good so far. If the curved sides weren't on it, it probably would be an awful lot worse.

One thing I'm very surprised at is the volume the speaker is able to put out. Its far louder than anything else.

Graham wrote: »
    Are you using the double tap on the home button to bring the top half of the screen down? I'm trying to remind myself it's there.

When I can remember. I suppose it's all about muscle memory.

It's not awful but there are times where one handed use is impossible for me. Never on the other iPhones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Just got an email from o2.
    Moving from Meteor prepay to o2 prepay.

"Hi,

Your order has been dispatched and is on its way, which means you will receive it in the next few days.

19******* Order Summary;

Cost today
    (€ inc. VAT)

Apple iPhone 6 Space Grey 16GB
    Freedom Internet

€ 649.99"

With any luck it'll be here in the morning, happy days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭kucyk

burkey85 wrote: »
    Someone just tell me, iphone 6 or S5?!!!
    Based on battery life and ease of use! :)

This may help you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlt8svrq1I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Not trying to start android vs iOS debate here.

iPhone user here since 3g, moved to s5 last month from 5s and very happy with it.

I picked up 6 last Friday from Belfast but couldn't get over with terrible battery life once I am used to S5 battery, easily last 2 days with heavy use and can swap when needed also android has come long way.

I used iPhone 6 for 2 days and sold on Monday and back to S5, just love it.

IPhone 6 is lovely phone but apple really need to improve their battery life and ease restrictions.

Just my 2 cent!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

6 all day long. I've had the 5 for 2 years and have my 6 a week now and absolutely love it.

kceire wrote: »
    6 all day long. I've had the 5 for 2 years and have my 6 a week now and absolutely love it.

I thought he asked about Samsung S5 or iPhone 6.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

deep1 wrote: »
    I thought he asked about Samsung S5 or iPhone 6.

Just reading this as I exit specsavers :o

kceire wrote: »
    Just reading this as I exit specsavers :o

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Isn't the battery life supposed to improve after the first few charge cycles? I hope so anyway, even if it's a marginal improvement. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

My battery is on 53% since this morning. The past few days it's been far lower. Last night it was 25% when I went to bed. It does seem to be improving.

As long as I can easily get a full day out of it I'm happy

Isn't the battery life supposed to improve after the first few charge cycles? I hope so anyway, even if it's a marginal improvement. :pac:

It does and it has. First two days I was left with around 10% by 10pm now it's 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

Not necessarily. I noticed the battery dropping loads not doing much at all. Couple of charges and it's now stabilised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

anyone heading into O2 stores tomorrow in town? So hard to know whether to go in early or not. I have the upgrade pre-approved but hope there is enough stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ohsomuchbetter

ogruairi wrote: »
    Just got on to O2 on Twitter in order to clarify tomorrow's orders. They told me that if an order is dispatched tomorrow morning it still could be delivered tomorrow. They then apologised for not being able to be more specific and said they'd have more information at 9:00 tomorrow.

So fingers crossed - even though I never knew An Post offered same-day delivery, unless O2 have some contract for days like tomorrow.

Seriously?! Seriously doubtful it could be but at this stage I'll hold out any form of hope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

So apparently there have been all of 9 bent phones reported to Apple

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/apple-only-nine-customers-have-complained-about-bent-iphone-6s/

Not even one in a million. What a disaster :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

been offered a 6 16g by o2 as an upgrade for €270, 24month contract €30 a month, 300mins & 300txts a min any network. Im upgrading from a iphone4 that has served me well for years.
    What do people reckon? I'm out of contract and open to be persuaded to migrate from o2. I'm currently spending around 40 per/month
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Love the design looks great unfortunately not as comfortable as the lg g3 in hand due to not having a curved back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

been offered a 6 16g by o2 as an upgrade for €270, 24month contract €30 a month, 300mins & 300txts a min any network. Im upgrading from a iphone4 that has served me well for years.
    What do people reckon? I'm out of contract and open to be persuaded to migrate from o2. I'm currently spending around 40 per/month
    cheers

Data? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

After buying the 6plus on launch day I have to admit the phone was just too big it's not really practical for my use. So I sold it last Saturday I'm now using a 6 that I bought in Belfast yesterday much more comfortable and easy to use, I am really delighted I went with the 6 now it's a perfect size. Anybody going for the 6plus I would advise try before you buy its a beauty though but not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

After buying the 6plus on launch day I have to admit the phone was just too big it's not really practical for my use. So I sold it last Saturday I'm now using a 6 that I bought in Belfast yesterday much more comfortable and easy to use, I am really delighted I went with the 6 now it's a perfect size. Anybody going for the 6plus I would advise try before you buy its a beauty though but not for me.

I trialled the OnePlus One for for 6-7 weeks to test out the size. You do get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I trialled the OnePlus One for for 6-7 weeks to test out the size. You do get used to it.

I kept telling myself that for the first few hours but after spending a €1000 on it I just wasn't comfortable with it and I decided to get rid I'm glad I did.

Advertisement