Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone 6/6+ First Impressions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drumzone

Just updated to iOS 8.0.2 and now the predictive text is gone from the keyboard. Wtf Apple. Anyone else have this issue???

Sorry. It's back. That little straight line just above the keyboard needs to be quickly swiped up. It must go to not displaying the letters after the update. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

I kept telling myself that for the first few hours but after spending a €1000 on it I just wasn't comfortable with it and I decided to get rid I'm glad I did.

True but personal preference will win out. I see the extra screen size as an advantage that way outweights the negative of being a bit cumbersome. Has to do with your lifestyle, if you work at a desk, size of your hands (no joke) etc.

Certainly the 6+ won't suit everyone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Got my iPhone 6 (Galaxy Grey) Delivered this morning?

What is the story with the box??! :confused:

It looks like this:

iP6.1.091814.jpg

shouldn't it look like this??....

iphone6-3-580-90-e1407595192646.jpg

I hope I didn't get shafted with some Chinese counterfeit :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My box is the same. I also thought it seemed odd alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The box you got is the right one, for some reason Apple opted for these plain boxes this year. The one with the image is a mockup from the fakes going around before the launch.

ION08 wrote: »

It looks like this:

iP6.1.091814.jpg

God no. The bottom one is a fake. If you got that then you most definitely would have been shafted. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I suspect it's because Apple changed the default wallpaper from the blue ocean thingy to the purple photo thingy. Possibly they changed it to late to have it on the retail boxes so went with the embossed outline.

Oh and it's Space Grey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

That pic you took from Google images is from a leaked box months before launch.

I haven't seen an official box different to yours...

If not, perhaps there is a US box and then international box...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

ION08 wrote: »

It looks like this:

iP6.1.091814.jpg

Wasn't suggested that Apple hadnt got time to do the printing on the boxes!!!!!!

I have my 6plus for since Monday after upgrading from 5s....
    I do not find the fone is too big and can still do most things with one hand......at the moment iam finding a single full charge a day is enough , bearing in mind also that Ian using it a lot extra as its all new!!!!

I did install keymoji keyboard and found a lot of the keys didn't work plus Siri button was not there

One annoying thing is where the power buttons have been moved to, they are directly opposit from the volume up down... So nearly every time I go to power/sleep u hit the volume keys ALso...

Big is beautiful !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I say it's to save a few bob bloody cheapskates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

cramp wrote: »
    Wasn't suggested that Apple hadnt got time to do the printing on the boxes!!!!!!

I have my 6plus for since Monday after upgrading from 5s....
    I do not find the fone is too big and can still do most things with one hand......at the moment iam finding a single full charge a day is enough , bearing in mind also that Ian using it a lot extra as its all new!!!!

I did install keymoji keyboard and found a lot of the keys didn't work plus Siri button was not there

One annoying thing is where the power buttons have been moved to, they are directly opposit from the volume up down... So nearly every time I go to power/sleep u hit the volume keys ALso...

Big is beautiful !!!!!!

I'm still getting used to the sleep/wake at the side every time I go to lock the phone I hit the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm still getting used to the sleep/wake at the side every time I go to lock the phone I hit the top.

It's going to take a while, 7 years of muscle memory ain't easily forgotten.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Very happy with the 6. Was a bit afraid the screen size increase wasn't going to be enough but 4.7 really is the sweet spot. The phone is a joy to hold with the curved sides up to the screen a really nice touch. This is phone I wanted the 5 to be two years ago. The bump to a longer, 4 inch screen was a frustrating one at the time.

The 6+ looks really cool but it's too big for my use.

My old 5 and the new 6 together for comparison. (The picture obviously can't show the difference in profile).

5sWGtb_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Dades wrote: »
    Very happy with the 6. Was a bit afraid the screen size increase wasn't going to be enough but 4.7 really is the sweet spot. The phone is a joy hold with the curved sides up to the screen a really nice touch. This is phone I wanted the 5 to be two years ago. The bump to a longer, 4 inch screen was a frustrating one at the time.

The 6+ looks really cool but it's too big for my use.

My old 5 and the new 6 together for comparison. (The picture obviously can't show the difference in profile).

5sWGtb_thumb.jpg

What he said.

It's quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Well after finally having a play with the 6 plus I can say I love it. It's very quick screen is great and it just works really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭ffocused

just got my 6 plus after ordering blind. happy i went for the bigger size. I was using a HTC One M7 so its not the same jump as going from an older iPhone.
    size wise its as wide as a €50 note & slightly taller
    image of phone beside €50 for comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

One week report:

I love this phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I've had the 6+ for a few hours now and I love it. My previous phone was the 5" HTC M8 so not a dramatic transition for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yeah 6+ here too and loving it. I went from a Samsung Galaxy S3 before that (iPhones prior to the S3) so the larger screen on the S3 means the screen upgrade on the 6+ probably isn't as big a shock to me, but its still huuuuuuuuge. Love it. Nice being back to iOS again too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If any one wants to try before they buy Vodafone on Henry street have a 6+ which you can pick up but it obviously has one of those bulky security yokes on it. So was hard to get a good feel for the size but was probably just a tad too big for me. The 6 wasn't working when I was there a few minutes ago. 3 also on Henry street just have a 6+ but it was bolted to the counter!

I'm kinda happy for you all but I hate you at the same time because I haven't gotten mine yet :D interesting reading the hands-on from people though.

I checked a few shops today and as mentioned above the Vodafone on Henry street was the only one with a 6 Plus on display. All others had the iPhone 6. It was never a question for me about which phone I was going with, the 6 Plus just wasn't for me, I'll even struggle with the 4.7" screen tbh. Have to say in person I was even more shocked at how huge the Plus was, the 6 seems smaller in person and I think I'll be fine with it.

You don't realise how thin they are until you see one in person, I thought the 5S was going to have no noticeable difference but it does. One thing I instantly noticed is the curved glass at the sides, it's something that make the phone a really comfortable one handed device. Can't wait to actually get mine next week. Whoever got theirs today enjoy your weekend messing around with your new iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lm01

Had a chance to try out both the 6 and 6+ today, and ended up going for the Plus. So far very happy with my choice. First impressions:

Size: was expecting bigger. Surprised how comfortable it feels in the hand.

Apps: a few apps are obviously not optimised. One or two crashed or wouldn't load properly at all.

Keyboard: the stock keyboard on the Plus is a joy to because of the bigger size. Haven't tried any third party ones.

Screen: incredible. Games and browsing and messaging all felt roomier than on my 4S.

Battery life: seems decent. Purchased early this morning, didn't charge it, used reasonably heavily all day, only at 16% now.

Camera: decent improvement over the 4S in daylight especially the front-facing cam. Big low-light improvement over the 4S. Viewing photos way better at all times.

Speed: great even with multiple apps open.

Touch ID: so far worked 100% of the time.

Haven't tried any of the health stuff or NFC yet. From what I've seen, it's great phone for me and I'm looking forward to more apps coming that make the experience better. Definitely worth the upgrade, for my money.

Early days yet, but if people are still deciding, I'd personally recommend the Plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Ok your definitely trolling now, you've been in the other thread ranting about how terrible the iPhone 6 Plus is. That thread is now closed, and instead you come here and again try to start the conversation up about a comeplete non-issue. Honestly what do you get from this at all? I'll never understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Let's NOT see this thread go the way of the other one or it too will be shut down.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Got a free 6 and 6+ today direct from Apple. 6 feels like a nicer build. Rounded edges make it a little less grippy. 6+ is just too big. Its nice, but just too big. Been having WiFi issues on it too. The screens are gorgeous and the graphics on the games are sublime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Did anyone else find their phone was very warm when restoring from an iCloud back up?

Its also still doing the iCloud restore 24 hours later even though it looks like everything is done. Im hearing the only way to stop it is to backup to iTunes and then restore via iTunes. The last thing I want to after just getting the phone

A few of the apps seem buggy due to the larger screen but apart from that its an excellent phone and the camera is so much fun when using the 240fps Slo Mo

Advertisement