Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bypass of Ballina

Options
  • 19-09-2014 4:18pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is bypassing Ballina not a polictal issue?

Bit funny given that the town has two TDs.

The town is congested with traffic, including a large amount of HGVs, making it unattractive to shoppers and any posable investment.

Unlike Castlebar, it does not even have inner relief roads to at least take trucks away from narrow residential and town centre streets.

I'm not expecting that the bypass would be built soon but if it's not pushed from its stalled stage of the end of route selection and onto design, then it will take another 10-20 years before we see progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Not directly responding to your post OP, but an observation: traffic in Ballina moved well before they disastrously changed the system in 2010 (taking away traffic lights, strange one-way streets, speeding around the bridges, changing lanes and merging - confusion and chaos to this day).

I still make the same journeys by car and on foot, and they all take much longer and are more dangerous now. This has pained me no end for the last four years! It was a death-blow to the town in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Alqua wrote: »
    Not directly responding to your post OP, but an observation: traffic in Ballina moved well before they disastrously changed the system in 2010 (taking away traffic lights, strange one-way streets, speeding around the bridges, changing lanes and merging - confusion and chaos to this day).

I still make the same journeys by car and on foot, and they all take much longer and are more dangerous now. This has pained me no end for the last four years! It was a death-blow to the town in so many ways.

I agree and its nearly impossible to cross the road at the main junction in the middle of town with kids.

Advertisement