Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Before bloodbikes how was blood delivered?

• 19-09-2014 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Was it by ambulance, or was the blood given to couriers and taxi drivers to deliver?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Was it by ambulance, or was the blood given to couriers and taxi drivers to deliver?

Taxis mainly. The hse has been spending hundreds of thousands over years in taxi costs. The blood bikes being voluntary is aimed at reducing the cost to the hse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'd imagine the taxi drivers are delighted

Yeah don't you know it! They are entitled to earn a wage but not draining the already suffering hse.

I hear ye, its grand being altruistic , but to some people it may look like its guys with jobs taking a blood bike out for a spin on their time off, albeit with the best of intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I used to work in the blood bank back in the 70,s, when it was at the top of lesson street near the bridge,Back then they had a fleet of refrigerated vans,well 5/6 ,kinda ambulance type with sirens etc,they also had two big blood trucks which would go around the country to collect.for Dublin they used taxis.

Good times working there :-)

• Advertisement

How do you become one? Whats the criteria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How do you become one? Whats the criteria?

Is easy - where are you based and I'll get you a number. (I ride for Bloodbike West). PM it to me.

RoSPA is the usual standard to attain.

We've saved HSE a minimum of €18k this year.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

GBX wrote: »
    Yeah don't you know it! They are entitled to earn a wage but not draining the already suffering hse.

Well in fairness it was the taxi companies who had the contracts and the drivers got the work from the base, and you didn't get the metered fare either (I worked for a Dublin taxi company with the James Hospital contract) ~ often the fare was cut by 25% (from the receipt).

I hear ye, its grand being altruistic , but to some people it may look like its guys with jobs taking a blood bike out for a spin on their time off, albeit with the best of intentions.

I've never met anyone with a negative view of what we do. Spending €300 on a taxi fare is just not on imho. And we have definitely saved lives on more than one occasion - even having hospitals ring us back saying so, to thank us.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

I remember the health board running their own CD200 Benly in Galway in the 80's.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement

Well in fairness it was the taxi companies who had the contracts and the drivers got the work from the base, and you didn't get the metered fare either (I worked for a Dublin taxi company with the James Hospital contract) ~ often the fare was cut by 25% (from the receipt).

That's fair enough reduced costs by the taxi company but still at 75% of the cost of the journey where it could be over and back to Galway that's still a big chunk of funds. The blood bikes are doing a great job bringing costs down.
    @skill the view that some lads are just out on a spin wouldn't be the same by many would it? The blood bikes east, west, north east are promoting well on out fundraising on the streets on Facebook Twitter etc to educate those who are not sure what exactly the service is they do.

How does it work so? I presume you'd be sitting at home and get a call, jump on your own bike and leg it to the hospital where the blood bike is, hop on that and deliver it to the next hospital?

GBX wrote: »
    That's fair enough reduced costs by the taxi company but still at 75% of the cost of the journey where it could be over and back to Galway that's still a big chunk of funds. The blood bikes are doing a great job bringing costs down.

Oh I wasn't trying to take away the good the blood bikes are doing, I was just setting out how it was for taxi drivers.

Personally I'd favor the bikes over the taxi's too ~ we used to have taxi's who'd rank up on the system in James Hospital and wait all day for the lucrative country runs.

Not a blood run, but a good story all the same.. We'd another guy in the company who lived at the back of Beaumont Hospital, he'd leave his taxi in his garden with a baby monitor listening for his data head (radio) to call him for a job, in which case he'd 15sec's to go and key his mike to accept the job or the system gave it to someone else ~ if it wasn't a country job (kidney dialysis unit contract) he'd throw it back and go back inside his house until a good job came up.

Its **** like this who'll bleed anything and any one dry to make live cushy for themselves.

How does it work so? I presume you'd be sitting at home and get a call, jump on your own bike and leg it to the hospital where the blood bike is, hop on that and deliver it to the next hospital?

Think they have the blood bike collected ready for a call. Go collect the blood products and deliver it to hospital and wait on the next call. Blood bikes east have a few bikes on the road at any one time around Dublin and meeting other blood bikes for country runs they are that busy especially at the weekend.

Oh I wasn't trying to take away the good the blood bikes are doing, I was just setting out how it was for taxi drivers.

Personally I'd favor the bikes over the taxi's too ~ we used to have taxi's who'd rank up on the system in James Hospital and wait all day for the lucrative country runs.

Not a blood run, but a good story all the same.. We'd another guy in the company who lived at the back of Beaumont Hospital, he'd leave his taxi in his garden with a baby monitor listening for his data head (radio) to call him for a job, in which case he'd 15sec's to go and key his mike to accept the job or the system gave it to someone else ~ if it wasn't a country job (kidney dialysis unit contract) he'd throw it back and go back inside his house until a good job came up.

Its **** like this who'll bleed anything and any one dry to make live cushy for themselves.

Ah I know man. That's some carry on jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Not all the branches require RoSPA. Tbh that's a retarded standard to require.
    I spoke to the east and they just need a grand 2. Leinster state RoSPA but told me they look at each applicant on their own merits. I really don't think there is a set in stone need for RoSPA. I post my application into the Leinster group but never heard anything back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

I worked for the same company back then too, I said it to the boss about drivers like the one mentioned but he would never listen :D

Good auld days though, not like that anymore though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

galwaytt wrote: »
    I remember the health board running their own CD200 Benly in Galway in the 80's.
    in galway they used a honda 90 in the seventys,a honda cb 200.and a yamaha 250 in the 80s .all fitted with a top box for the blood box .in the 90s the used a white nissan micra van,plus any ambulance that happened to be driving by the hospitals,laboratory porters that had bike/car licenses usually got that job.blood came from dublin in the blood bank own vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭worded

Were deauvilles used at all ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

i doubt they'd miss it - the taxi bill is about 25 million

still - better than they trying to maintain their own fleet - if a taxi slams into a wall on a run you can just phone another one

the swiftness of the bikes through traffic will save so many lives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

gctest50 wrote: »
    i doubt they'd miss it - the taxi bill is about 25 million

still - better than they trying to maintain their own fleet - if a taxi slams into a wall on a run you can just phone another one

the swiftness of the bikes through traffic will save so many lives

Taxi's stopped doing blood runs to the country around 2006-2007, a courier company using vans took it over after that. Fair play to the blood bikes for doing the runs, especially Letterkenny as its a grooling ride.. If I had time to spare being a biker myself I'd lend a hand. Best of luck and fair play to the bikers for their time saving lifes....

Cocoon wrote: »
    I worked for the same company back then too, I said it to the boss about drivers like the one mentioned but he would never listen :D

Good auld days though, not like that anymore though.

Because they lost the contract to NRC :)

Anyway this ain't a taxi discussion so I'll knock that on the head, but I don't miss that job one bit, particularly that company who tried to bleed both the hospitals and the drivers dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

AFAIK you assign how many nights/days you want to do a month....minimum is two a month. You stay at a hotel in the area you are assigned and are on call with the bike in the car park. I think the bike is actually stationed at the hotels all the time.....then you are on call for the day or night. You could have one run you could have 50 depending on whats going on.

I looked into doing this right at the start, and lets just say some of the people involved in this are not doing it purely for the HSE they are trying to line there own pockets only in certain regions. I know this for a fact!

Its an absolutely stellar cause and I hope it gets the support it deserves all over Ireland. And anyone doing it deserves great credit.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    AFAIK you assign how many nights/days you want to do a month....minimum is two a month. You stay at a hotel in the area you are assigned and are on call with the bike in the car park. I think the bike is actually stationed at the hotels all the time.....then you are on call for the day or night. You could have one run you could have 50 depending on whats going on.

I looked into doing this right at the start, and lets just say some of the people involved in this are not doing it purely for the HSE they are trying to line there own pockets only in certain regions. I know this for a fact!

Its an absolutely stellar cause and I hope it gets the support it deserves all over Ireland. And anyone doing it deserves great credit.

That's nothing like BBW system . You're on call and have the blood bike at home and await the call to go. There are no hotels or anything involved. When your rota is over you pass the bike to the next guy and so on and so on. Remember there is no guarantee that the phone will ring, so it needs to work in to people's lives.
    You'll more be more comfortable rested and make your riding safer.

As for RoSPA, it's not mandated by everyone, but it does ensure a certain competency. I've had people with years of riding experience offer to ride only to discover they don't have full licences, or don't believe in insurance, and think riding a Blood Bike is a permit to hoon. It's not. It's certainly enjoyable. But the core function is not riding, it's helping the "client". At the very least approach your local BB and ask. Maybe an assessment is all it will take to confirm your abilities.

I did RoSPA before I joined BBW, and it is not retarded. It's training that I feel makes me a better, safer, rider. No point in helping a hospital and then getting killed on the way home. ..

As for financial there are no payments to riders and we spend a huge amount of time fundraising just to cover expenses. Every cent is used in the service, nothing more. Motorcycles and motorcycling ain't cheap - but you know that already.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's nothing like BBW system . You're on call and have the blood bike at home and await the call to go. There are no hotels or anything involved.

Maybe its not the system in place for the section of blood bikes you drive for.
    But it is certainly the setup for East.

I have detailed messages from very recently when i was looking into it and asking how it all worked. The information i got back straight from bb east is exactly as wonda has mentioned.

goodlad wrote: »

I have detailed messages from very recently when i was looking into it and asking how it all worked. The information i got back straight from bb east is exactly as wonda has mentioned.

That's fine if they have the resources and the demand locally to require it. I mean I'm sure London would have a different arrangement too - all down to what's needed and what's affordable.

We haven't got that. Yet at any rate.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

cough cough, if anyone wants to donate to blood bike west click on the link on here
    https://www.facebook.com/compassforbbw

they are a group close to my heart after all one of the bikes is named after my daughter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

goodlad wrote: »

Not entirely true. BBE have nearly 90 riders. Only 1 avails of a hotel room purely because he lives on the outskirts of Dublin and would take him too long to respond. All other riders collect the bike, then sit at home waiting for the call

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

I would be very surprised at this considering the work that goes in to the setting up and running of these organisations.
    Nobody in any of the blood bike groups that I know gets 1 cent. In fact it costs every rider as that pay their own fuel costs( to get to the lockup) and phone calls, etc

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote:
    Not all the branches require RoSPA. Tbh that's a retarded standard to require. I spoke to the east and they just need a grand 2. Leinster state RoSPA but told me they look at each applicant on their own merits. I really don't think there is a set in stone need for RoSPA. I post my application into the Leinster group but never heard anything back.

BBE require an AON2 to start with. This is to allow riders get a start without the expense of Rospa at the start. 6 months from their first shift we require a rospa silver/ gold.
    rospa is an independent assessment of riding skill and is a safest system of motorcycle control.

Advertisement