Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anyone any experience of the Honda VT 1100 Shadow?

• 19-09-2014 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of finally acting my age and getting a cruiser :eek:

So anyone here have any experience of ownership of one, or similar and how was it on fuel economy, torque & two up touring with luggage (comfort wise both two up and single).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

So anyone here have any experience of ownership of one, or similar and how was it on fuel economy, torque & two up touring with luggage (comfort wise both two up and single).
    I had a suzuki intruder 1400 for a while.
    Had a sports bike at the same time though.

Wouldn't bother with one again to be honest.
    Got bored of it very quick.
    Dual purpose is what u want...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

blade1 wrote: »

Wouldn't bother with one again to be honest.
    Got bored of it very quick.
    Dual purpose is what u want...;)

Yea a few people said I'd get bored with it quickly.. Dual purpose?.

Yea a few people said I'd get bored with it quickly.. Dual purpose?.

V-strom, multistrada, tdm,Aprilia Caponord etc.

I'm telling you won't look back.
    Try a few out.;)
    Back roads,motorways,on road, off road,tour,commute.
    All rolled into one bike.
    What more could you ask for?

blade1 wrote: »
    V-strom, multistrada, tdm,Aprilia Caponord etc.

I'm telling you won't look back.
    Try a few out.;)
    Back roads,motorways,on road, off road,tour,commute.
    All rolled into one bike.
    What more could you ask for?

I get you now, tbh I'm looking at slowing down ~ cutting out the wheelies, dicing down the M50 through rush hour etc.

I just feel my biking taking on a new phase now

I get you now, tbh I'm looking at slowing down ~ cutting out the wheelies, dicing down the M50 through rush hour etc.

I just feel my biking taking on a new phase now

My brother and his missus went touring a few weeks ago on a Valkyrie.
    They found it grand and comfortable enough two up an fully loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Comes to us all eventually :o

Personally if I had the €'s, I'm partial to the Triumph Speedmaster, middleweight cruiser with a great heritage & plenty of customizable options without being a points accumulator :D

triumph-speedmaster-16_600x0w.jpg

^^^ Cool, but with a son just graduated college and a daughter just starting her first year I haven't a pot to piss in for the next few years :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

^^^ Cool, but with a son just graduated college and a daughter just starting her first year I haven't a pot to piss in for the next few years :(
    Tell me about it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I've a cruiser, but not a VT. Mot even a Honda. After years of tourers GS's etc I've found it to be the perfect antidote to everything. Cheap to run (55mpg), cheap to service, easy to ride. Std saddle on mine is so - so, but custom saddle is easy to find. Panniers and top boxes abound.

ACE1100 is a lovely bike. Spent some time on the 750 this year and it was lovely.

Suzuki 1800 is nice too. Our a Kwak 1500.

A friend had a Valkyrie which was a behemoth. Odd handling and fond of juice.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The brother has an 1100 Aero and he's put something like 20k on it in the last few years. It just keeps on truckin' and the paint and finish keeps holding up. Just keep it fed with the usual stuff and it'll keep doing the business for you. The big question is whether it will keep you interested. In my brother's case he loves it and has no plans to part with it any time soon and he's the kind of fella that if you gave him an R1, he'd quickly find a tree to get it stuck up.

• Advertisement

cantdecide wrote: »
    The brother has an 1100 Aero and he's put something like 20k on it in the last few years. It just keeps on truckin' and the paint and finish keeps holding up. Just keep it fed with the usual stuff and it'll keep doing the business for you. The big question is whether it will keep you interested. In my brother's case he loves it and has no plans to part with it any time soon and he's the kind of fella that if you gave him an R1, he'd quickly find a tree to get it stuck up.

Cheers thats the kind of stuff I need to read.

I've been asking around and most lads I know riding cruisers are on HD's but realistically I can't afford one, and I need a bike which is up to commuting up to 20k annually.

The boredom factor is what concerns me, I've always loved fast bikes and playing around with a little stunting.. That said I feel its time to slow down and keep both wheels on the ground!.

I might put my bike up for sale/swap and see how it goes ~ tbh I love my present bike and won't be too disappointed if it didn't shift too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My da has a yamaha xv1700 at the moment. If I was getting a cruiser style bike I'd look for one. Bag loads of torque, wheels take proper tyres, even has upside down forks. Standard exhaust is a bit manky though, most people change them.
    Not many for sale in Ireland though.
    7224428_600x400.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Feet forwards (as I call them) are a completely different kettle of fish to anyone that has owned and ridden conventional bikes (of whatever ilk). I bought an 1100 Yamaha a few years back with the intention of slowing down and enjoying the scenery etc. That was when the Homer Simpson syndrome hit me. There you are, riding down your favourite bit of road at a relaxed pace, shooting the breeze etc, when another bike comes past you and its kinda like the little Homer in your head says "Why You little *##*" and you're off in pursuit only to find that the pegs are sparking far too early and the wallow though corners at speed feels like a puncture.
    My feet forward experience/love affair ended after about 6 weeks and I went back to a Pan. The wife also used to complain that although they may look comfortable, they ain't. I found that sitting bolt upright or laid back a bit put tremendous strain on my lower back as well.
    This is only my personal opinion, I'll never own another. I realise some people find them the best thing sin' sliced bread but if I was you I'd see if I could get a loan of one for a month or so before spending the kids inheritance.
    Horses for courses as they say and at the end of the day a bike is a bike is a bike... all said and done, you won't go far wrong with a Honda Shadow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Faing wrote: »
    Feet forwards (as I call them) are a completely different kettle of fish to anyone that has owned and ridden conventional bikes (of whatever ilk). I bought an 1100 Yamaha a few years back with the intention of slowing down and enjoying the scenery etc. That was when the Homer Simpson syndrome hit me. There you are, riding down your favourite bit of road at a relaxed pace, shooting the breeze etc, when another bike comes past you and its kinda like the little Homer in your head says "Why You little *##*" and you're off in pursuit only to find that the pegs are sparking far too early and the wallow though corners at speed feels like a puncture.
    My feet forward experience/love affair ended after about 6 weeks and I went back to a Pan. The wife also used to complain that although they may look comfortable, they ain't. I found that sitting bolt upright or laid back a bit put tremendous strain on my lower back as well.
    This is only my personal opinion, I'll never own another. I realise some people find them the best thing sin' sliced bread but if I was you I'd see if I could get a loan of one for a month or so before spending the kids inheritance.
    Horses for courses as they say and at the end of the day a bike is a bike is a bike... all said and done, you won't go far wrong with a Honda Shadow.

Meh: you're doing it wrong; just buy a sports bike etc and.........park it BESIDE the cruiser for when you have that itch to scratch...... :)

Win-Win

Btw my H-D isn't feet-forwards (which I agree is an awful position to ride in). It depends on the model.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement