Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to camp in Mayo?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 6:42pm

Hey guys,

First off, apologies if this gets asked a lot, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest somewhere to camp in Mayo?

Pretty much, myself and a couple of friends climbed Croagh Patrick a few weeks back. Since then, I've had a different group of friends, who didn't go, wanting to do the whole camping and climbing thing.

When we went last time, we went to Westport House, but this time, it would appear that that campsite has closed.

I was wondering if anyone could advise on anywhere that would be suitable to do a bit of tenting around the area for one overnight stay?

Anyone able to help, it'd be much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If Achill isn't too far away I would highly recommend it. We stayed at Keem Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

May not be exactly the location youre looking for but Camp Carrowkeel has always been a great spot. Probably take you 30 mins to drive to Croagh Patrick from there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186626-d1754467-Reviews-Carrowkeel_Camping_Caravan_Park-Castlebar_County_Mayo_Western_Ireland.html

Cheers for that, lads. Will hopefully sort something out.

Personally, I'm trying to push it towards a B&B or such (I think it'll be a bit too cold for camping, personally) but sure I'll see what happens. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Cheers for that, lads. Will hopefully sort something out.

Personally, I'm trying to push it towards a B&B or such (I think it'll be a bit too cold for camping, personally) but sure I'll see what happens. :)

How about halfway between the two and stay in a hostel.

That was an idea, in my head, alright.. but then I seen there were B&Bs for like.. €60 per night... so hardly worth while?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 heythereall

There is a camp site not far from Croke Patrick it is a bit further out from Westport after the reek. It is a very basic camp site but sufficient for a night or two. It is closer to Old Head beach. Also you could camp at Carrowniskey Beach it is a surfing beach, a lovely spot I surf there regularly. There is often people staying over night in campers, caravans and tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

There's a campsite in Lecanvey - if you head towards Louisburgh from the Reek, you'll see it signposted (left hand side of the road, after Staunton's pub). Also there's a large and well equipped campsite at Old Head (just outside Louisburgh), or I believe the farmer who owns the field next to the car park at Carramore beach (right at the crossroads once you've gone through Louisburgh and over the bridge) allows camping. On the other hand, I have a field with absolutely no facilities other than gorse bushes and overly-friendly dogs :)

Advertisement