Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding out prescription drug prices

Options
  • 19-09-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Is there any way to find out how much a prescription drug costs? Not accounting for drug payment scheme, etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Go in and ask a pharmacist?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

Stheno wrote: »
    Go in and ask a pharmacist?

And if I don't want to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

And if I don't want to do that?

well then you are out of luck. retail drug prices are set by the pharmacies themselves

Beano wrote: »
    well then you are out of luck. retail drug prices are set by the pharmacies themselves

Is there generally much variation in price of prescription drugs from pharmacy to pharmacy, or even from town to town?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there generally much variation in price of prescription drugs from pharmacy to pharmacy, or even from town to town?

Can be, I got one prescription in Tesco once that was 50% what another pharmacy wanted.

Or you can ask for generic drugs rather than branded one, I had a prescription to fill yesterday and saved a third by asking for the generics.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Can be, I got one prescription in Tesco once that was 50% what another pharmacy wanted.

Or you can ask for generic drugs rather than branded one, I had a prescription to fill yesterday and saved a third by asking for the generics.

It all seems very anti-consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,057 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, hugely.

And cartel fixed prices wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

How is having a choice very anti-consumer?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    How is having a choice very anti-consumer?

Ah here, this forum is very snappy. And you're a mod here to boot? I'm only trying to get some help with a sensitive issue. The last thing I want to do is to walk into the pharmacy tomorrow to find out I don't have enough money for the drugs I need. Things are bad enough without having my head chewed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Ah here, this forum is very snappy. And you're a mod here to boot? I'm only trying to get some help with a sensitive issue. The last thing I want to do is to walk into the pharmacy tomorrow to find out I don't have enough money for the drugs I need. Things are bad enough without having my head chewed off.

What answer are you looking for? If you want to know the price of something before you purchase it, you ask someone who works in the shop. Price variation is a sign of a functioning market place, the opposite of anti-consumer activity.

• Advertisement

Seriously, take the prescription in, ask them to tell you the cost as you may need to go to the bank to get some cash, and try it in a couple of pharmacies.

That's all you need to do.

Phone them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It seems that either there's some vague loophole or the pharmacists are completely ignoring
    SI639/2002

Goods prices have to be displayed

It seems that either there's some vague loophole or the pharmacists are completely ignoring
    SI639/2002

Prescription drugs aren't displayed in the first place, due to other legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

SI639/2002

Pharmacists are not required to display prices, they are suppliers of goods and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

No one is being snappy or chewy in this thread. You stated an opinion and I simply asked you how you came to that opinion, that's how discussion forums work.
    BTW when I post in normal text I post as a normal user unless clearly indicated otherwise.

If you want to find prices you have no choice other than enquire with individual pharmacies directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Pharmacies charge a different handling cost , which is why the prices vary from pharmacy to pharmacy.

You have the following options :
    • Buy 6 months supply and you save a fortune
    • Buy 3 months supply and you still save a fortune
    • If money is really tight , ask your pharmacy to dispense 14 days instead of the usual 28 days .
    • Apply for a medical card
    Whatever option you choose , don't be without your meds .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ring a few pharmacies, they will tell you over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Just ring them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Prices can vary from one pharmacy to the next quite a bit, even if they are next door to each, not to mind say in the same town. It is quite common for people to pop in and check the price of there prescription before purchasing. Give them a ring or pop into the shop and they will tell you the price no hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

OP - if you're anywhere near the border, go and buy your meds there. My father saves a fortune getting generics in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Phelange

SI639/2002

Patient safety overrides everything else. Having all medication on display and priced would lead to higher risk of stealing especially the like of controlled substances which must be kept locked up under legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Phelange wrote: »
    Patient safety overrides everything else. Having all medication on display and priced would lead to higher risk of stealing especially the like of controlled substances which must be kept locked up under legislation

While not required to lock up material by legislation Maplin copes with not being able to display everything by having a brochure available in store and of course Argos has brochures and/or computer terminals .

Even if you couldn't have every drug listed it could be a lot more transparent with most prescribed listed at least .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

SPDUB wrote: »
    While not required to lock up material by legislation Maplin copes with not being able to display everything by having a brochure available in store and of course Argos has brochures and/or computer terminals .

Even if you couldn't have every drug listed it could be a lot more transparent with most prescribed listed at least .

But it's a different price if you buy two tablets vs 100

SPDUB wrote: »

I'm a pharmacist. You can't advertise prescription medication. So the brochure is out the window. Just ring and ask the pharmacy is the easiest solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I'm a pharmacist. You can't advertise prescription medication. So the brochure is out the window. Just ring and ask the pharmacy is the easiest solution.

I was wondering that. One of the local pharmacies here runs an ad in the local magazine giving the prices of many tablets including the Pill, things like Nexium etc. I was very surprised to see it as I thought it was not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Surely pharmacist could have price list in pdf displayed in a digital photo frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Surely pharmacist could have price list in pdf displayed in a digital photo frame.

This is a joke? The price list would be a couple of hundred pages!

There are roughly 12000 potential items. The price varies depending on how much you're buying at any given time.

Do you suggest they install a few cinema screens?

There is absolutely no way a pharmacy can advertise prices. They could advertise their pricing formula but the average person wont have the foggiest idea what it means, and considering even those who do usually won't have the cost price either.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    I was wondering that. One of the local pharmacies here runs an ad in the local magazine giving the prices of many tablets including the Pill, things like Nexium etc. I was very surprised to see it as I thought it was not allowed.

I don't work in Ireland at the moment. So I'm just giving my understanding here. My understanding is that you can advertise services such as the morning after pill/ smoking cessation. You could also advertise drugs that are OTC or can only be given out under the supervision of a pharmacist which I believe nexium (esomeprazole) is.

They can also say that they could negotiate the price of your prescription with you. In my opinion, the pharmacy is legally wrong to advertise the price of the contraceptive pill in a magazine. It should be up to the doctor and the patient to make a choice about which contraceptive is best suited to the patient. Then, if you wanted it cheaper, ask the doctor to prescribe by generic name.

Advertisement