Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Order

Options
  • 19-09-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could help with a query.

I set up a SO years ago for a gym. i then ended up moving house and wasn't in a position to attend the gym anymore and had put the SO on hold (don't ask me now why I didn't cancel it outright, possibly had to pay the full year membership?) but I cancelled it after the first month.

Anyway, fast forward to recently when I switched from bOi to permanent tsb. I have no standing orders and told them so. However just received a letter from bank of Ireland informing me that they've notified PTSB of my SO, of which this is listed (it's the only one).

How do I cancel it outright? I don't even know if the gym are still in operation anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I was wondering if anyone could help with a query.

I set up a SO years ago for a gym. i then ended up moving house and wasn't in a position to attend the gym anymore and had put the SO on hold (don't ask me now why I didn't cancel it outright, possibly had to pay the full year membership?) but I cancelled it after the first month.

Anyway, fast forward to recently when I switched from bOi to permanent tsb. I have no standing orders and told them so. However just received a letter from bank of Ireland informing me that they've notified PTSB of my SO, of which this is listed (it's the only one).

How do I cancel it outright? I don't even know if the gym are still in operation anymore.

Write a simple letter to PTSB instructing them to cancel the SO with immediate effect.

Are you sure it's a Standing Order rather than a Direct Debit?

Even if it is a DD you are still in control and the bank must comply with your instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Thanks.

It's a Standing Order, which I'm not v familiar with either.

I tried to email the relevant gym but said notification failed so looks like they're not even in operation any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Thanks.

It's a Standing Order, which I'm not v familiar with either.

I tried to email the relevant gym but said notification failed so looks like they're not even in operation any more.

A standing order is where you instruct your bank to pay an amount out every month, or whatever frequency you decide.

A direct debit is where you give authorization for a third party, eg a gym to take money from your account .

Write a letter ( not an email or online message) and ask them to confirm that they have received your instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

If you can log in to your new PTSB Open24 online banking then you should be able to cancel the standing order yourself from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    If you can log in to your new PTSB Open24 online banking then you should be able to cancel the standing order yourself from there.

Oh great, thanks, because it's new & I haven't even gotten paid into it yet I haven't really logged into it. Had become so used to BOI. Will check that out now :)

It says there's no standing orders on the account. So either it hasn't been added or maybe it won't be as the company aren't in business any more so presumably the account isn't either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Once you have logged in.
    On the left hand side choose 'Payments & Transfers'.
    On the bottom left you will then see a section for Standing Orders, choose 'View or Amend'.
    That will list any standing orders that are set up. You can then choose to delete it if it is there.

Advertisement