Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruptured ear drums in cat

• 19-09-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

Brought Bunty back to the vet this evening and was told she has an ear infection in both ears and holes in both ear drums. She showed no signs at all of any ear issues. It was initially thought that it could be a tooth root abscess causing the sneezing and nasal discharge but while her teeth and gums are bad she didn't think there was an abscess. She has no head tilt, balance issues or isin't at her ears or shaking her head.

Anyone any experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

In my experience ( vet nurse) There is not much that can be done if the ear drums are perforated or have burst. In most cases they reform slowly with little to no treatment.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Thanks :) From your experience have they still been able to hear? I'v no experience with anything with burst ear drums but I would have presumed the animal would be deaf or at least have some degree of hearing difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

No fortunately they don't seem to suffer any notable hearing loss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Felix has a permanent hole in the tympanic membrane in one of his ears as a result of surgery to remove a polyp he had when he first arrived to us. He gets the occassional ear infection, though I think that's probably because the root grew down so far that it's impossible to get it all. We use arnica pills in his food, 1 a day, to help with any inflammation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement