Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

An example that I have noticed from my English cousins

When something is great:

English say it is sick, we'd say it was deadly

Note: sick may also be replaced with "well good"

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Something that strangely appears to have absolutely no equivalent expression in England is the (sarcastic and very descriptive) Irish expression " He had a big welcome for himself " to describe a situation where someone turns up and thinks that people will be a lot happier to see him than they actually are.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

thunderdog wrote: »
    An example that I have noticed from my English cousins

When something is great:

English say it is sick, we'd say it was deadly

Note: sick may also be replaced with "well good"

Thats more of the "innit" Asian London subculture though innit?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

feargale wrote: »
    England : Stoat.
    Ireland : Weasel

England : Weasel
    Ireland : nothing ( doesn't exist here.)

Reminds me of the old joke about the difference between them: A weasel is weasily recognised but a stoat is stoatily different...........:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 french_bloke

I was in Spain last year, lots of scottish and English there. I said i'd love a sambo...
    As in sandwich!
    Lots of very surprised faces and questions of "you'd love what!?"
    Apparently a sambo is slang for someone of ethnic origin!!!

So glad I didn't say "I'd murder a sambo!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Thats more of the "innit" Asian London subculture though innit?

Could be. My relations live in a posh area of Manchester though and pay huge school fees etc so it looks like it has filtered through.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

They say: Gay

We say: Quare

They say: Go away/You are joking/Not a chance

We say: Get the fcuk....!!

A lot of things being brought up only depend on what part of England you're talking about.

Only a small part of England would say 'f' instead of 'th'.

Large parts of England (mainly the North) say 'filim' instead of film, just like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

LOL - they don't have ham-sambos in Blighty, then? Just "sarnies"? (a word which only makes sense when you remember the silent intervocalic "R")

What do they make them out of? My brother once asked in London for a Small Pan and was offered a frying-pan!

The same brother also went to a stationer to request some Thumb-tacks and was told by the puzzled sales assistant that the chemist was the place for ladies stuff.
    AH! Not "Tampax"!! -- what you want, mate, is a "Droring-pin".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Nagin of vodka = 1/4 bottle of vodka etc.

Customer to bar man "Can I have a glass of Guinness"
    Barman with puzzled look "Eh all drinks is(sic) served in glasses",
    Customer "Sorry can I have half a pint of Guinness"

Irish the number three, English south of Watford - the number free

Water - Woaahhh

Water Closet - wtf!!

hot press as mentioned gets a double take every time.

Mat(h)s = Maath.

Potato is now ubiquitiously said in a leprechaun like high pitch and sometimes randomly thrown in to sentences ala tourettes, thank you Keith Lemon.

• Advertisement

For example I say erasure, pencil sharpener

Blue Savannah one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I lived over in UK for over ten years..other words or sayings I've come across:

We say: Cop on
    They say: Pack it in

We say: that's bold
    They say: that's naughty

We say: tea or coffee?
    They say: brew?

Also the English for some reason can't say the name Cathal correctly - pretty amusing. Comes out sounding like Karl
    in the Microdisney song Town to Town, singer Cathal Coughlan picks up on this:

".....She's nervous and her. Best friend is waiting, She's trying to pronounce my name...."

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

I lived over in UK for over ten years..other words or sayings I've come across:

We say: Cop on
    They say: Pack it in

Cop on and pack it in mean very different things, although I guess both have the same end result.

Cop on means to learn, or wise up.

Pack it in just means to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've been living here for a few years, and I still have an uncontrollable urge to correct my girlfriend and her daughter when they say to bring something somewhere. I tried to explain the difference between bring and take, but I honestly don't think they understood :D

I don't think a lot of Irish people can get our heads around this - we don't have the same distinction between the terms (because of the way their equivalents are used in Irish) and we just don't conceptualise them the same way. I have studied other languages and linguistics, but I still genuinely can't explain the difference between bring and take as used in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

A lot of things being brought up only depend on what part of England you're talking about.

Only a small part of England would say 'f' instead of 'th'.

Large parts of England (mainly the North) say 'filim' instead of film, just like here.

Absolutely, I find the Northern English (Yorkshire, Manchester etc) To be much more akin to the Irish then they are to their southern counterparts.

In my humble opinion the cities that are most like Dublin in the entire British isles would not be in Ireland at all, but in Northern England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Nagin of vodka = 1/4 bottle of vodka etc.

Customer to bar man "Can I have a glass of Guinness"
    Barman with puzzled look "Eh all drinks is(sic) served in glasses",
    Customer "Sorry can I have half a pint of Guinness"

Irish the number three, English south of Watford - the number free

Water - Woaahhh

Water Closet - wtf!!

hot press as mentioned gets a double take every time.

Mat(h)s = Maath.

Potato is now ubiquitiously said in a leprechaun like high pitch and sometimes randomly thrown in to sentences ala tourettes, thank you Keith Lemon.

You're mixing up with American English there:

Maths is maths (or sums if you're an old geyser).

Water Closet would get you WTF in England or Ireland, and rightly so! It's dropped out of usage about 150 years ago. WC still gets used on the continent though as shorthand for the toilet.

I find Irish use of "a glass" confusing at times.
    I got a bottled beer that needed a pint glass. Asked for a glass and got handed a 1/2pt. Then had to say : a big glass.

Hotpress is just uniquely Irish though.

They so not use the term closet in Ireland or England either unless you're coming out of one as a metaphor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I have studied other languages and linguistics, but I still genuinely can't explain the difference between bring and take as used in England.

Is it, if someone is telling you, they tell you to bring it with you, but if you're taking about yourself, you take it with you?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never really understood it either. I don't see any logical distinction.

Is it, if someone is telling you, they tell you to bring it with you, but if you're taking about yourself, you take it with you?

Generally you bring something to where you are, and you take it if it's going away.

I always ask my Mrs why you guys don't have a bring-away on a Saturday night instead of a take-away :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Generally you bring something to where you are, and you take it if it's going away.

Telekenesis was never that big in Ireland, that's probably why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Red lemonade!

Definitely cause confusion in an English bar .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

As I understand it, in the UK:

"bring" if the focus is on getting the item to the destination;
    "take" if the focus is on removing it from where it is.

This focus might (or might not) be due to the location of the speaker.
    When he came to my house for dinner, he brought a bottle of wine. We didn't open it, so I told him to take it away with him again.

The distinction between the two isn't really prevalent in Ireland, but even here I don't think they'd be interchangeable in the above context. "When he came to my house for dinner, he took a bottle of wine." (The fecker!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

As I understand it, in the UK:

"bring" if the focus is on getting the item to the destination;
    "take" if the focus is on removing it from where it is.

This focus might (or might not) be due to the location of the speaker.

The distinction between the two isn't really prevalent in Ireland, but even here I don't think they'd be interchangeable in the above context. "When he came to my house for dinner, he took a bottle of wine." (The fecker!)

Yeah, I see what you mean in that example.

But I think we don't have the same focus on the place, because you're always moving the item from one place to another. Your sentence could easily end with "I told him to bring it home with him" instead of "I told him to take it away with him". I suppose then the focus would be on him getting home, rather than him leaving your house - but in other sentences I wouldn't be sure which place is the main focus...

In Ireland (at least), you could say both "Don't forget to bring an umbrella with you!" and "Don't forget to take an umbrella with you!" to someone who was going out, for example. Or "Can you bring me to the airport on Monday?" and "Can you take me to the airport on Monday?" are interchangeable. Or if you didn't want something, you could say "I'm going to bring this back to the shop" as well as "I'm going to take this back to the shop".

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭waulie_palnuts

Out the gap. One of the lads at work uses that a lot. Hes from the Mayo\roscommon border. "Well get this **** done and then out the gap"

Does he normally say it three times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ireland: Is it yourself that's in it?
    England: Hello

Ireland: Amn't I after telling you
    England: Haven't I just told you

Reflexive pronouns (myself, himself, etc) are much more used in Ireland to emphasise something. Between myself and yourself, there wasn't but myself and himself in it, although less colourful parts of Ireland are nowadays replacing "in it" with "there".

In the north they also have a nice reflexive twist at the end of sentences - e.g. He was there surely, so he was; There was two of them in it, so there was; He did rightly, so he did...

Come here till I tell you/Cogar...

I'll go away from you now/ Imeoidh mé uait anois

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

cooker im pretty sure is an irish one too.in america and canada they call it a stove not sure about england.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Can't believe no one mentioned yet about having 'a right pain in me mickey' or 'I've a pain in me bollix' or as the English would say 'I'm fed up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

I don't know about the rest of you, but I (and by extension my family & friends) would always use Cupboard/Airing Cupboard. I was old enough to remember the first time someone asked me to get something from a press/hot press as I recall staring at them blankly, until they explained what a Cupboard was like I was some kind of idiot child. I'd never heard of a Topper until I was in college, it was always Pencil Parer. I've also very, very rarely heard people say Sambo.

I think a lot of these 'Irish' sayings are more regional than people realise. I'm from Sligo btw.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    You're mixing up with American English there:

Maths is maths (or sums if you're an old geyser).

Water Closet would get you WTF in England or Ireland, and rightly so! It's dropped out of usage about 150 years ago. WC still gets used on the continent though as shorthand for the toilet.

I find Irish use of "a glass" confusing at times.
    I got a bottled beer that needed a pint glass. Asked for a glass and got handed a 1/2pt. Then had to say : a big glass.

Hotpress is just uniquely Irish though.

They so not use the term closet in Ireland or England either unless you're coming out of one as a metaphor.

Disagree with the 'math' point. Where I am it is most certainly Math (Maath) as opposed to my Mats. Its not extensively used granted but I have heard 'closet' used frequently enough -'where is the sweeping brush - in the closet'. Richmond, West London probably does have plenty of influences from North America and the Continent for one reason or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

A girl I know moved to England with her then boyfriend / now husband and shortly afterwards threw him a birthday party. She went to stationary shops all over town looking for thumb tacks to hang decorations, only to be met with blank expressions everywhere. Having spent half the day looking she tried one last shop, who said "oooohhhh, you should have asked for drawing pins".

Advertisement