Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

Can't believe no one mentioned yet about having 'a right pain in me mickey' or 'I've a pain in me bollix' or as the English would say 'I'm fed up'.

That term is common in England (and worldwide really). In England, they would say pain in the arse or bum. Here, its just replaced with bollix/hole/mickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

English: hello, my oldest, dearest friend.

Irish: Go on ya fückin bollix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

For me the strangest one is going/gone to get the messages.

Nobody has yet been able to tell me why grocery is called messages.

kristian12 wrote: »

How many have you asked?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Not sure if its been mentioned. If you ask where is the jacks ? You get some right odd looks. To which I respond outloud to my self go away you gowlbag!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Dia1988 wrote: »
    English say: eraser
    Irish say: Rubber.....something very different to them! 😜

brilliant I have an Irish client and in front of his staff I asked him for an eraser. He looked at me and said we only have rubbers around here!!;
    We got a laugh out of it the poor English lads were confused

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

How many have you asked?!?

Sadly quite a few :-/.

I know I need to get a life ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Flaithiúlach" - a subtle concept.

Includes, (at various times) Generous, Lavish, Carefree, Open-handed, Hospitable, Celebratory, Reckless -

the exact meaning for any specific occasion depends on the context and your tone of voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Math is an American import in the UK then as it was never used in the past. The logic is

Mathematics is plural thus abbreviated as maths. Math would mean you're studying Mathematic...

Closet is generally not used in England. Unless it's sneaking into the language via US sitcoms too.

Cupboard is normal.

I wouldn't suggest telling your Yorkshire granny to get your math book out of the closet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Leinsterblue

One expression which I have never heard outside Ireland is "Still and all"

example, the weather has been pretty good, still and all.

although this expression is getting less common, I have no idea regarding its origins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Living in England, I've noticed things I say that no one in England says. Here are a couple of examples.

What They Say: Cupboard
    What We Say: Press

What They Say: Pub Quiz
    What We Say: Table Quiz

Anyone who's lived in England notice any other examples?

I say Cupboard and Pub Quiz :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In Dutch they use the same word for both. Not sure there's any link though. Scousers and Scots are known to use it in the same way too.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

A girl I know moved to England with her then boyfriend / now husband and shortly afterwards threw him a birthday party. She went to stationary shops all over town looking for thumb tacks to hang decorations, only to be met with blank expressions everywhere. Having spent half the day looking she tried one last shop, who said "oooohhhh, you should have asked for drawing pins".

I'd forgotten about this one. Said thumb tack once in front of a class of thirty English kids. Had to remove a thumb tack from the noticeboard to explain things. Then moved onto "...but you tack it with your thumb, it makes complete sense." They had fun. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Basil3 wrote: »
    That term is common in England (and worldwide really). In England, they would say pain in the arse or bum. Here, its just replaced with bollix/hole/mickey.
    'Mickey' is not well known in England. There was a lad in work that was flying over to London every weekend to see his English girlfriend. He made the mistake one day of saying she didn't know what a mickey was. He regretted saying that for the rest of the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AnLonDubh

katemarch wrote: »
    "Flaithiúlach" - a subtle concept.

Includes, (at various times) Generous, Lavish, Carefree, Open-handed, Hospitable, Celebratory, Reckless -

the exact meaning for any specific occasion depends on the context and your tone of voice.
    Flaithiúlach is a rare enough variant of flaithiúil, which simply means generous or plentiful. At least among native speakers I've never seen it depend much on context and I've never really seen an Irish word depend on tone.

I would literally mean "Princely in the treatment of others".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

'Hames'.

Only in Ireland.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    'Hames'. Only in Ireland

Is it?! Well I never..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

'Hames'.

Only in Ireland.

tac
    We have more need of the word than most other people.

I hope you'll pay careful note that it was not I who said that.

tac

Call the Guards!

It always sounds like a mediaeval king or queen calling for their guards.

• Advertisement

I hope you'll pay careful note that it was not I who said that.

tac

??

??

You can be critical of the Irish, but I cannot be.

tac

You can be critical of the Irish, but I cannot be.
    Of course you can - so long as you don't express it.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

'Hames'.
    Only in Ireland. tac

<<<I heard of a fair in the County Clare
    At a place call Spancil Hill
    Where my brother James got a rap of the hames
    Poor Paddy they tried to kill.>>>

http://mainlynorfolk.info/anne.briggs/songs/sullivansjohn.html

Plug it into the ESB...

My granny was always asking did things run on batteries or if you could charge them on the ESB.

Of course you can - so long as you don't express it.

:rolleyes:

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

We say Traveler to refer to our nomadic cousins.

They say Irish Traveler to refer to the same thing but some think the term Irish traveler refers to any Irish person who has traveled to England. I have been asked if we ALL live in caravans or do some of us have houses.

My mates over here were making scrap metal jokes towards me for a week before I asked what they were on about.

Do you mean 'tinks'?

I've never heard of 'Irish travellers' as anything but the much-unloved itinerant element of the Irish population who clutter up the landscape here in UK. As for the comments directed at you, all I can opine is that you sure do have some strange 'mates'.

tac

Do you mean 'tinks'?

I've never heard of 'Irish travellers' as anything but the much-unloved itinerant element of the Irish population who clutter up the landscape here in UK. As for the comments directed at you, all I can opine is that you sure do have some strange 'mates'.

tac

Never heard 'Tinks' but have heard them referred to as 'Gypos' but that refers to Roma and Irish Travelers. I'm living up North near Durham though. 'Tinks' sounds like a southern word.

Out at rugby training doing scrum practice they joked that someone would have to keep an eye on the scrum machine or I would have it for scrap.

Just relaying my experience

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where I heard this:

I heard it comes from olden times when one's servants couldn't be relied upon to either read or remember a list of groceries. So one would write a brief message to the local greengrocer thusly.

Dear Mrs Greengroser,

Please furnish my man-servant with the following items and add the cost to my bill.

Yours faithfully,
    Lord Downton

Advertisement