Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

In Co. Wickla they are referred to as 'tinks'. Your mileage may differ.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Touche Tac. Not sure what point you're contributing but let's assume it has been made.

Anyhoo

One of my favourites is...

"You're 'avin ma eyes out, sunshine"

Translation: You're attempting to deceive/short change/lie to me, but I've seen through.

Yer man or yer wan. The English don't get that at all

I told someone the score is 'nill all'. Apparently that's not normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Buying fruit and veg in UK by the pound weight instead of individually, weird of what? A pound of apples, feck off ya eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

From today's online Irish Independent:

<<Fine Gael TD Patrick O’Donovan is from Newcastle West and knows the wounded garda officer.

"I'm only just after hearing really" he told the Herald.>>

Hiberno English is still strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I'm not sure where I heard this:

I heard it comes from olden times when one's servants couldn't be relied upon to either read or remember a list of groceries. So one would write a brief message to the local greengrocer thusly.

Dear Mrs Greengroser,

Please furnish my man-servant with the following items and add the cost to my bill.

Yours faithfully,
    Lord Downton

At school we were told that as the post office was also the local shop when one was sent down to pick up the messages or telegrams they also picked up groceries and the expression evolved in to usage beyond telegrams but still used or associated with grocery shopping. 'will ye do a message for me run up the town for me cigs' .... i can see my English cousins confusion when ye read back!

I know my gran said one time that there was only one phone in her area (local shop) and that people abroad and the like would call and leave messages usually to say that they would ring at a certain time and to have somone there from the family to take the call, so I can see how the term may have persisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

Basil3 wrote: »
    Generally you bring something to where you are, and you take it if it's going away.

I always ask my Mrs why you guys don't have a bring-away on a Saturday night instead of a take-away :D

Its very simple you take the food from the takeaway and bring it home

Basil3 wrote: »
    Generally you bring something to where you are, and you take it if it's going away.

I always ask my Mrs why you guys don't have a bring-away on a Saturday night instead of a take-away :D

Quite. We do, however, have bring and buy sales.
    And, of course, we would take the eye out of your head.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Its very simple you take the food from the takeaway and bring it home...

...from the takeaway?

I still don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Not sure if its been mentioned. If you ask where is the jacks ? You get some right odd looks. To which I respond outloud to my self go away you gowlbag!!

Ditto with the phrase, "I've spent all day in the bog". Alot of English people might tell you to pop in to the doctor's to get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭franglan

The phrases "country bumpkin" and "foodie" spoken in a home counties accent displeases me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Re - 'Jacks'

In Tudor England a privy was first referred to as a jakes in 1530. In modern Ireland the cognate term jacks is still used, and is a very common method of referring to the toilet.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Some years ago in a pub in Schull in West Cork the sign for the men's toilet was Jacks. The ladies sign was Banjacks.

It was in the year 1998 so my memory has faded.

It is a clever word game.
    Ban is Irish for a woman.
    Banjaxed is broken or even ruined.

John

In Ireland we discuss politics in a way that people don't seem to, in the UK.

Constant droning on about a lost cause like Irish water and nonsense talk about how all politicians are crooks.

For good or bad I have never heard people discuss politics like that in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Pop

ffs..it's lemonade!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

bjork wrote: »
    Pop

ffs..it's lemonade!

I remember being in a UK pub once and asking for a dash of white lemonade as a mixer.
    The barmaid asked curiously what other kind of lemonade we have in Ireland and when I answered red lemonade she was aghast!

To thine own self be true

bjork wrote: »
    Pop

ffs..it's lemonade!

Pop refers to any fizzy, sweet drink so it includes cola etc. More like Americans say soda.

We say minerals meaning non alcoholic drinks which others don't do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Pop refers to any fizzy, sweet drink so it includes cola etc. More like Americans say soda.

We say minerals meaning non alcoholic drinks which others don't do

I forgot about "minerals". That's an odd one. Why do we call them that?

Hey would you like a mineral?

No thanks I don't eat rocks! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Miwadi is named after Mineral Water Distribution. Always confused me where the word mineral came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Have we had the double positive response meaning a negative, as in;

"yea, right" meaning no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Irish people say 'England' when they mean 'Mainland Britain' which is kinda dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

degsie wrote: »
    Irish people say 'England' when they mean 'Mainland Britain' which is kinda dumb.

For a lot of people when they learned about GB it was mostly just England. Don't forget Wales only became a country in 1997.

piuswal wrote: »
    Have we had the double positive response meaning a negative, as in;

"yea, right" meaning no?

That's a good one.

Same with 'I will, yeah'. Best do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LauraKc

Here we often use "sick" meaning disgusting but in England they use it meaning great or deadly. I once told my english cousin that I didn't like a dessert I got and that it was sick. He was so confused. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

My god we talk weird.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

"that's gas" does not translate well for los ingleses.

"that's gas" does not translate well for los ingleses.

A gas man is not someone who walks around with a handheld computer, noting the moving digits on a meter and who is not necessarilly the life and soul of a party.

Got a text today saying "I'm in bed with a dose", what's the English version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

piuswal wrote: »
    Got a text today saying "I'm in bed with a dose", what's the English version ?

"I'm in bed with an amount of prescribed drug to be taken at any one time"

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    "I'm in bed with an amount of prescribed drug to be taken at any one time"

He meant he had the flu or other short term illness

Advertisement