Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

piuswal wrote: »
    He meant he had the flu or other short term illness

Or crabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

"Spare the electric", or was that only in my house?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

piuswal wrote: »
    He meant he had the flu or other short term illness
    Are you sure? Dose can also be a derogatory term for a person that you find annoying, as in "Yer wan is a right dose".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Are you sure? Dose can also be a derogatory term for a person that you find annoying, as in "Yer wan is a right dose".

In the context of being in bed with a dose, I'd take that to mean a dose of the flu/a bug of some sort. In England I'm guessing they'd say "I'm in bed, poorly" or I'm unwell in bed" or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is something that could only happen in Ireland.

We had a house in the countryside and planted pear trees. Moved to another house nearby so the new owners would drop us up a bag of pears each year and leave it at the door.

This happened as normal last year and a few days later the postman saw my mother and told her "them pears were lovely but jaysus there was fierce roughage in the skins. Felt it on the way out"

The fuffer helped himself and had the cheek to comment on the fiber content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Pop refers to any fizzy, sweet drink so it includes cola etc. More like Americans say soda.

We say minerals meaning non alcoholic drinks which others don't do

I went to a cinema with a Canadian, I bought a coke and he wanted the same so he said "large pop" - he ended up with lots of popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

miamee wrote: »
    In the context of being in bed with a dose, I'd take that to mean a dose of the flu/a bug of some sort. In England I'm guessing they'd say "I'm in bed, poorly" or I'm unwell in bed" or something similar.

In UK if you say you have a dose, it usually means a 'dose of the clap' - a venereal disease of one kind or the other.

Depending where you are are in England there are many ways that you say that you have been taken to your bed with some kind of illness.

'He's taken to his bed' doesn't mean that somebody has put him there, but that he has been forced to stay there because of some kind of illness. You generally hear 'He took to his bed' which has the same meaning.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

tac foley wrote: »
    So how, my Welsh wife asks, would an Irish person pronounce Llanrhaedr-ym-Mochnant?

Or maybe just Ymddiradolaeth Genadlaethol Cymru?

tac

hmm....is that 'would an Irish person pronounce it' or 'how would an Irish person pronounce it'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

When I was staying up in Donegal, I heard someone say "wha abou cha" (what about you) ..... I was told it was their way of saying how are you/things... how is a Dublin person supposed to know how to answer that!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Tiocaigh ár lá..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'll tear the hole off ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Apparently the English don't 'give out' to people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Whopper, still no idea why loads of Irish say this to indicate something is good.

I'm Irish myself btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

Being an English fella here for 15 years now and I went to a club the first week of moving over and some girl said "sorry" as she stood there waiting to get past. Had me baffled. Now I've been here that long that I'm always saying Irish sayings like that. My family in the uk would be wondering the stuff I come out with on Skype. Runners (trainers) rashers (bacon) bye bye bye!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Apparently the English don't 'give out' to people

No, they "tell them off" or "scold" them.

And some of them seem to think that "giving out" must be some sort of sex reference :pac:

SMJSF wrote: »
    When I was staying up in Donegal, I heard someone say "wha abou cha" (what about you) ..... I was told it was their way of saying how are you/things... how is a Dublin person supposed to know how to answer that!!?

In certain parts of Norn Iron they say 'Howzaboutcha?'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 9 caitie

I did a module on this in college! The study of Hiberno- English.

Their 'bold' is courageous, ours is 'naughty', but we would never actually use the word naughty! When they say 'pants', they mean 'underpants', we mean 'trousers'.

There's so many it's really interesting! We have different grammatical construction on our sentences and use different phrases.... We even, unknowingly, pronounce words differently because the way English people pronounce them isn't natural on an Irish tongue. For example, 'film' becomes 'filum' because the 'lm' sound doesn't exist in Irish!

caitie wrote: »
    I did a module on this in college! The study of Hiberno- English.

Their 'bold' is courageous, ours is 'naughty', but we would never actually use the word naughty! When they say 'pants', they mean 'underpants', we mean 'trousers'.

There's so many it's really interesting! We have different grammatical construction on our sentences and use different phrases.... We even, unknowingly, pronounce words differently because the way English people pronounce them isn't natural on an Irish tongue. For example, 'film' becomes 'filum' because the 'lm' sound doesn't exist in Irish!

Americans and Canadians say 'pants' for trousers, but the English do not, unless, of course, they are speaking so-called 'Mid-Atlantic' English which contains many Americanisms.

My dad, from Cork, had a powerfully thick accent that you could use to sole a boot, and in spite of living in England for many years, lost none of it.

HE used to say 'fillum', but also the Azoo, rather than the zoo.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 9 caitie

Americans and Canadians say 'pants' for trousers, but the English do not, unless, of course, they are speaking so-called 'Mid-Atlantic' English which contains many Americanisms.

My dad, from Cork, had a powerfully thick accent that you could use to sole a boot, and in spite of living in England for many years, lost none of it.

HE used to say 'fillum', but also the Azoo, rather than the zoo.

tac

We say 'pants' for trousers here in Ireland too, but the English use the word 'pants' when they're talking about 'underpants'.... that particular word has caused some confusion for me a few times! haha

I must root out my old notes on all this, we did a class on accents as well and they were fair funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭worded

Irish mates living in London in the 80s said no one understood the word "gee". If you were overheard and asked what you meant when you said she had a lovely gee, you could say, it means personality in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

England : 'He has a mental health issue'.

Ireland: 'He is wired to the moon'.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Red Lemonade, unique to Ireland as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

when they are here on holidays and are heading home, they say they are heading "back to the mainland"

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

We call our money euros
    They call it funny money

'He's taken to his bed' doesn't mean that somebody has put him there, but that he has been forced to stay there because of some kind of illness. You generally hear 'He took to his bed' which has the same meaning....
    In Ireland, "he took to the bed" is often used to say that a person is suffering from depression rather than a somatic illness.

In certain parts of Norn Iron they say 'Howzaboutcha?'
    Howzabycha.

High nigh brine Kai?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

We say get thick meaning giving out/get mad.
    Over there thick means dumb.

We say get thick meaning giving out/get mad.
    It's a while since I heard that one. Do you think it is used less now than in the past?
    Over there thick means dumb.
    There's another meaning of thick which I haven't heard in recent years - meaning close friendship: "Those two, they're very thick with each other". It's similar to the meaning in the expression "as thick as thieves".

One thing that has been bugging me since I went back to college is my lecturer talking about columes. I have no idea how I went through my whole life without hearing the word colume....then I realised they were talking about columns...bizarre! Is this a normal Irish thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Basil3 wrote: »
    One thing that has been bugging me since I went back to college is my lecturer talking about columes. I have no idea how I went through my whole life without hearing the word colume....then I realised they were talking about columns...bizarre! Is this a normal Irish thing?

Yep. I'm currently studying in the UK - myself and the other Irish person in my class get slagged mercilessly for pronouncing it "colume" :D

Advertisement