Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Even worserer is the appalling 'I would OF bought....'

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I hear Donegal people saying 'I bees' for 'I am'.

I guess you've never heard a Newfie speaking....

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

They do not understand the word 'republic'

And have a strange pronunciation of the word 'scones'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I've often raised an eye brow when talking about 'the Foxy lad or the foxy wan.'
    Referring to red headed hair.
    They think I'm calling them hot ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Rubber -- eraser

Oh and peugout - why do the English add the letter R into it?? Sounds like purrjoe

Peugout are french cars.The French pronounce it Purrjoe surely they should know the correct way to say it.The Irish are saying it wrong:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Steve F wrote: »
    Peugout are french cars.The French pronounce it Purrjoe surely they should know the correct way to say it.The Irish are saying it wrong:rolleyes:

You would think so but yet here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

They say 'I was sat' we say 'I sat' or 'I was sitting'.

We are grammatically correct. That said, I repeatedly hear 'I do be' here and I die a tiny bit every time.

No need to die. It's Irish present continuous which I don't think exists in English e.g. Bím ag snámh.

Steve F wrote: »

I'm a French speaker and you're both wrong in different ways…

To my ear the Irish version is closer to correct though. The English one would be but they tend to stress the intrusive R and make it sound totally weird.

It is absolutely not Paaair Joe though which is the English say it. But then again the French feck up English words all the time and wouldn't expect non-French speakers to say it exactly right. At least (unlike the Spanish who just read it exactly is written) the Irish and British make an effort!

This guy has an accent and isn't a native speaker but he can certainly pronounce Peugeot even if he can't spell it.

Les irlandais aren't too far off. Just pout more when saying it the Irish way and you're very close to correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

feargale wrote: »
    No need to die. It's Irish present continuous which I don't think exists in English e.g. Bím ag snámh.

That is all well and good in Irish, but in English it is incorrect. Perhaps it is just my family. My mother is a fluent Irish speaker but always emphasised the fact that people will always judge you on your spoken English once they meet you. Grammatical inaccuracies would make you regret opening your mouth!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Irish: "That's OK then so".

English: "That's OK then".

The extra "so" says so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Quite clearly they cant get their heads around how to say "Belfast", and none of their 4 options is correct in my particular vernacular dictionary.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=belfast&submit=Submit

So how, my Welsh wife asks, would an Irish person pronounce Llanrhaedr-ym-Mochnant?

Or maybe just Ymddiradolaeth Genadlaethol Cymru?

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The English always gave me funny looks anytime I said jaysus... One even asked if I was religious I said a few times lol

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

They say 'I was sat' we say 'I sat' or 'I was sitting'.

We are grammatically correct. That said, I repeatedly hear 'I do be' here and I die a tiny bit every time. 'I would have bought, etc' is another uniquely Irish one. Conditional tense mixed in there must be confusing for anyone from outside Ireland.

In what context is 'I would have bought' incorrect, or particular to Ireland ? It's a 3rd conditional clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

"I'm after doing something" as opposed to "I did something".

"The happy/sad/angry head on him".

- both of course coming from Irish anyway. There are loads more examples of phrases that come from Irish, some mentioned here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnInDublin59

I think people have mentioned ‘the messages’ for ‘the shopping’ and ‘sliced pan’ for ‘sliced loaf’.

Another Irish one is eg ‘tell him I was asking for him’ meaning tell him I said hello, give him my best wishes etc. Having lived in the UK, that would be taken to mean ‘tell him I was looking for him’.

The British do seem to have an uncanny ability to mispronounce Irish names – a notorious example being former Taoiseach CJ Hockey.

It also annoys me when they insist on calling the excellent Irish comedian David O’Doherty ‘O’Docherty’. And he seems to be too polite to correct them. (I know that is not he pronounces it himself as I have seen him live a no of times.)

OTOH, I can never get used to the Irish letter ‘Ore’. As in Ore-Tee-Ee. Or that great medical drama, Eeyore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Double negatives become positives but we have the only commonly used double positive inferring a negative

Yeah right!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Kerry bet Donegal yesterday. Not beat. Bet.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    The English always gave me funny looks anytime I said jaysus... One even asked if I was religious I said a few times lol

Odd, considering "the English" use the expression too, particularly posher ones actually when you give them a bit of a fright.

• Advertisement

The one I don't get is why Cork people swap the verbs "to let" and "to leave" and don't even notice they're doing anything wrong (even really well spoken academics).

"I left the cat out" (which sounds like you snubbed the cat!)
    "She left me out of the car" (Which means she excluded you from the car)

Also, the Beatles did not have a song called "Leave it be".

An English friend of mine, living in London, was telling me about a 'religious nut' he was avoiding at work. She was new and Irish and he had to go home sick one day and as he was going she wished him well and unexpectedly announced "God loves you!" He was really creeped out and stayed out of her way after that. When I dug a little deeper I discovered her actual words were "ah ya poor thing. God love ya!" Which sounds similar but is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

That is all well and good in Irish, but in English it is incorrect. Perhaps it is just my family. My mother is a fluent Irish speaker but always emphasised the fact that people will always judge you on your spoken English once they meet you. Grammatical inaccuracies would make you regret opening your mouth!

Fine if somebody wants to speak the Queen's English, but Hiberno-English has its place in the world too, much as American English, Quebec French or Brazilian Portuguese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Ahh, lads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I have a Polish mate who cannot pronounce my name the way I do.. Nor do I expect him to.

So why would we expect the British to pronounce words (O'Doherty) the way we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Has any mentioned "yo-gurt" (Ireland) and "yog-urt" (UK)??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

I have a Polish mate who cannot pronounce my name the way I do.. Nor do I expect him to.

So why would we expect the British to pronounce words (O'Doherty) the way we do?

Because they take a the piss for

Three
    Thirty
    etc.

So I take a piss out of them for

Cathal
    Donegal
    Haughey
    etc etc

Best use to be when Kevin Moran was still playing and they seemed to be, **** scared of calling it as it is

franer1970 wrote: »
    Has any mentioned "yo-gurt" (Ireland) and "yog-urt" (UK)??

Actually, if you're extremely posh its also yo-gurt in the UK too.

An English friend of mine, living in London, was telling me about a 'religious nut' he was avoiding at work. She was new and Irish and he had to go home sick one day and as he was going she wished him well and unexpectedly announced "God loves you!" He was really creeped out and stayed out of her way after that. When I dug a little deeper I discovered her actual words were "ah ya poor thing. God love ya!" Which sounds similar but is completely different.

Yeah, I think we don't notice that our language is peppered with religiosity but then again English people do similar when they say things like "Ahwww, Bless!" "God bless" (instead of bye) and Cor blyme me literally means "May god blind me".

Older Irish people can tend to come out with really odd ones though. Like I've old 80+ year olds relatives wwho aren't religious really at all but to express shock : 'oh! Jesus, Mary & Joseph!"
    Really really shocked adds something about the saints to it.

You definitely get some odd ones though in both countries, especially with older people.

I don't know what kind of English, politically correct, linguistically athiest types with perfect grammar and diction you are all talking to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Maybe not spoken but definitely thought by politicians.
    I've done something seriously wrong in office and don't need to resign and sure the idiots will re-elect me next time round do I can do it again.

Advertisement