Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things said in Ireland that no one says in England

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

McGaggs wrote: »
    Never heard it and only ever seen it written on boards.ie

Well wear can be heard in Kildare. Especially if you get a new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sunnyagain

"I will, yeah" in a certain tone in Ireland translates to "No, not a chance."

Two positives making a negative. Don't tell that to any maths teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,972 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

PLL wrote: »
    mon t fuccccccck

Funny story from a few years back. I was at a family NYE party with my sisters and an aunt who was over from UK. One of my sisters decided about 1am to go to bed despite the party still being in full swing. My other sister who was a little disappointed about how early my sister gave in and went to bed said "Ah, she's gone ta fúck", to which my Aunt from the UK was utterly shocked at how we talked so freely about such a thing. :)

I still don't think she believed me when I tried to explain the Irish meaning of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Are there any other people who say pencil parer (as in "pare") instead of pencil sharpener?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Are there any other people who say pencil parer (as in "pare") instead of pencil sharpener?

I've heard both over the years, Munster and Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I used to work for a UK company and they were always commenting on how we say Fil-um with two syllables instead of film. That and runners instead of trainers.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

We use bring and take differently to other English speakers.

In the Uk and else you take something from where you are to somewhere else (away from you) and bring something to your current location from somewhere else. We don't have this distinction.

Also in Ireland musn't have is used for impossibility in the past, in the UK you have to use couldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

piuswal wrote: »
    I've heard both over the years, Munster and Leinster
    I knew it was an Irish thing but also had the idea that it might be a Gaelscoil thing as the people who use it most are those who were educated as Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

HonalD wrote: »
    Well wear can be heard in Kildare. Especially if you get a new car.

It was very widespread in the west and south when I was a kid, may even be used now, I can't say. I move in more sophisticated circles these days. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    My son came home from school calling a pencil sharpener a 'topper'. I thought it must be a silly name that some kid(s) in his class had invented.

I would have called it a topper in my youth. I'm a multi-county Munsterman with some with some Connacht family connections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

My friend and I once confused an English guy who worked with us in Spain by saying something like "Now, we know it's not your fault - we're not giving out to you, it's just...". He thought "giving out" was some sexual slang and quickly told us he had a girlfriend :pac:

I live in Scotland now and have had the same issues as everyone else - grand, kitchen press, I was after doing..., bring/take, etc. They also don't say "I amn't", it's "I'm not" - I love Hiberno-English :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I repeatedly hear 'I do be' here and I die a tiny bit every time.

I "do be" expresses the speaker's sentiment perfectly, based on the habitual present tense Irish verb . I don't know why any educated Irish person would be ashamed of this very understandable and legitimate transfer from Irish into Hiberno-English, this indicator of an Irish linguistic world. Similarly, "I'm after my dinner" and "giving out" are direct translations from the Irish. They are nothing to be ashamed of.

It is not "bad grammar" as used by the legions of people who say "I done/seen" or "should/would of" or "he thrun that ball" or who haven't a clue when to use 'number' instead of 'amount', or who pronounce the number 0 in a phone number as the letter o, and so on ad infinitum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Our currency is the Euro
    Our capital is dublin

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

A few have been mentioned already, like '"well" and "sure" that we add to sentences that don't actually add anything but are there just to confuse people not from Ireland.

The one I use and hear often is "look it", as in basically to mean 'no problem' but I just don't know where the phrase comes from as I never heard it living in England. Maybe got mixed up with 'luck' along the way, but I actually have no idea.

For example - "Ah, we've missed the bus...."Sure look it, the next one'll be here soon enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

The common nouns of 'main street' (or even 'retail sales') in Ireland v 'high street' in Britain (although Conor Pope tried his best to bring the latter into Ireland via regurgitated press releases from British firms during the bubble).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Is canted (spelling) a waterford thing or an Irish thing?
    As in 'you canted the ball ya dope' means you kicked the ball arseways and now its lost? Like a sort of weird word combining Sliced and lost?

Long time ago but I remember there were a few headaches trying to learn off these weird words for regular things and getting blank stares when using the opposites :D

Gallybander - catapult (slingshot)
    Topper - Parer (sharpener)
    Gaff - House
    Lack - Moth (girlfriend)
    Well - Hello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

We: Ahhh I'm not well!
    Them: I feel poorly.

We: Hurry up Jimmy.
    Them: Quick as ya like Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

The pronunciation of 3.

Irish - 3 is pronounced Tree.
    English - 3 is pronounced free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

you wouldn't have a spare ciggie mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Slobbercaun: A messy person

Never hear many say that anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

See o baann for Siobhán
    Eaowin for Eoin

Shove on, Owen!

Ask English people of a certain age, they would say they were brought up calling it nesels

Google Milky Bar adverts from the sixties and seventies - it was "Nessels" in these islands before "Nes-lay"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Snifters: A few drinks

Think that's an Irish used word anyway, usually said by older folks, 50+ I'd say

"Oh yeah we must head down the local for a few snifters"

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Snifters: A few drinks

Think that's an Irish used word anyway, usually said by older folks, 50+ I'd say

"Oh yeah we must head down the local for a few snifters"

Heard "snifter" in London a few times.

Speaking of Milky Bars:
    http://youtu.be/F-Z3Vk3xp7A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

press - cupboard

hot press - airing cupboard

Ciara - pronounced "Keyara"

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

English say: eraser
    Irish say: Rubber.....something very different to them! ��

We use bring and take differently to other English speakers.

In the Uk and else you take something from where you are to somewhere else (away from you) and bring something to your current location from somewhere else. We don't have this distinction.

I've been living here for a few years, and I still have an uncontrollable urge to correct my girlfriend and her daughter when they say to bring something somewhere. I tried to explain the difference between bring and take, but I honestly don't think they understood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

I'm from Dublin (North) and find I use a lot of the English terms and have never even heard some of the irish ones mentioned here.

For example I say erasure, pencil sharpener etc.

One thing that really bugs me for some reason is the west or Midlands Irish not being able to pronouce the word Eight.

"It's half Ayeesh"

I find it funny when Irish people say nought instead of O or zero. When giving a phone number.

"Nought ayeesh seven".

Or pretentious people adding a shh to the end of words where there should be a T. Like "Wash?" instead of "What? ". Which makes them sound like yokels when they are pretending to be posh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I'm from Dublin (North) and find I use a lot of the English terms and have never even heard some of the irish ones mentioned here.

For example I say erasure, pencil sharpener etc.

Could be an age thing? I'm 36 and from North Dublin, and only ever heard rubbers and parers as a young fella. Might have changed since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Hibernosaur

Could be an age thing? I'm 36 and from North Dublin, and only ever heard rubbers and parers as a young fella. Might have changed since.

I've heard parers and Rubbers, but find erasure to be just as common where I'm from. I'm 30 myself so not much difference in age.

I've noticed that some outlying parts of Dublin tend to have the most neutral accents overall (Closest to standard English) well as parts of Kildare and Wicklow. These would be parts of North county Dublin such as Skerries, Malahide, Swords etc as well as South East Dublin out to Greystones. Also Maynooth and some satellite Towns.

Almost the lack of an accent and the use of more Anglicized terms.

I suppose that's one of the reasons they call us West Brits.

I remember as a child holidaying in Roscommon and being told by some adults that I was not proper Irish, and added an EEN to the end of my name as in Jackeen. I was quite offended by this and didn't understand what they meant, until I was older and realized that they saw me as a West Brit.

I had never held a Hurley or played GAA, but played Cricket and Rugby in school. I should add that this is on the Northside and in a rather rough area, so not the stereotypical Rugby school.

During my travels to Britain I have noticed that there is a cultural similarity between English towns and Dublin, from the Coolocks to the Blackrocks.

I would say in some ways more similar than Dublin is to Cork.

Anyway I digress; Back on topic, one of the main differences between the English and the Hiberno-English (Thats us folks) is the pronounciation of the 'TH's and the 'R's.

Awwland instead of Ireland, and for 30 they say Firty where we say Thurty.

One pretty bad habit in England is to say Nufink instead of Nothing.

Advertisement