Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

retention planning

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi i hope someone can point me in the rite direction
    Around eight years ago I built a garage on to the side of my house its 23sqm and is stepped back from the front build line of the house any advice I got at the time was that it didn't need planning permission as it was under a certain size and not to the front of the house . The problem I have is that we are thinking of selling the house so I rang the planning office just to confirm that it didn't need planning and low and behold they say it infact dose . They say I will have to apply for retention I got one quote from an architect so far for 1700 +vat and around 200 for newspaper etc is this high or average its a bog standard garage is there a cheaper way of going about it ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

No that's about rite

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gooddarts10

RITwing wrote: »
    No that's about rite

And would it be any cheaper if I just got the drawings done and made the submission myself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭RITwing

Yes you could do that if you can.

RITwing wrote: »
    Yes you could do that if you can.

And would you have a rough idea as to what I would expect to pay for drawings

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And would you have a rough idea as to what I would expect to pay for drawings

Cheaper but the drawings required are the same. The only benefit of you lodging yourself is you can arrange everything and pay direct. You can be taking a big risk as if you Make a mistake with the wording, the app form or osi map outlines and ensuring the application is up to Department of Environment standards can be trouble for someone that's not familiar with the process.

Put simply, most people don't realise the amount of work that's required even for a "bog standard garage".

Done forget the detentions fees are considerably higher that the €34 domestic rate.

Where are you based?

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Cheaper but the drawings required are the same. The only benefit of you lodging yourself is you can arrange everything and pay direct. You can be taking a big risk as if you Make a mistake with the wording, the app form or osi map outlines and ensuring the application is up to Department of Environment standards can be trouble for someone that's not familiar with the process.

Put simply, most people don't realise the amount of work that's required even for a "bog standard garage".

Done forget the detentions fees are considerably higher that the €34 domestic rate.

Where are you based?

Hi im based in the Dunlaoire area

Hi im based in the Dunlaoire area

Cool, it might help as people may offer advice or recommendations based on your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Did you go through with the retention application, if so how long did it take?

murph226 wrote: »
    Did you go through with the retention application, if so how long did it take?

All retention permissions are the same process. 8 weeks from the date of lodgement before you get a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jdsk2006

We were in same boat as you. Paid 1920 in total and got our retention permission in exactly 8 weeks to the day it was lodged.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement