Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's fittest family

• 19-09-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

I see the Mulhaire family are in the show this year. I think Davy Fitz has them . Derval is one of the managers this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

So no real trouble for the Mulhaires getting thro the first round and lucky to have Derval as their manager/ guru. What odds that they win it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Fittest family me arse. Fittest family willing to be on RTE maybe! :)

Do you know a fitter family then who don't want to be on RTE. in fairness 15k is a decent prize so why wouldn't they

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

Murph_D wrote: »
    Fittest family me arse. Fittest family willing to be on RTE maybe! :)

Do you know who the mulhares are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Do you know who the mulhares are!

hahahaha normally I'd be pretty cynical about these kinda shows but I'd be pretty shocked if the Mulhares weren't actually Ireland's fittest family...like in reality as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It depends entirely on the challenges they're given, I'm sure there are competing families with more upper body strength, for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

But do the Mulhares do cross fit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

? Who are they....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

? Who are they....

Presumably these guys, looks like they do a lot of hill work.

The+Mulhaire+Ceili+Band+-+The+Mulhaire+Ceili+Band+-+LP+RECORD-569739.jpg

? Who are they....

sacks full of distance running medals, eg second and third at the Inter Counties last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Fittest family is probably the wrong title for the show!
    Need to throw in some other disciplines into it, at the moment it suits the running side of things

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    sacks full of distance running medals, eg second and third at the Inter Counties last year

Sounds a bit more familiar now alright

There is very little outright running ,unless you call going thro bogs and muddy rivers running. Lots of upper body strength required in the challenges to get over obstacles etc

PVincent wrote: »
    There is very little outright running ,unless you call going thro bogs and muddy rivers running. Lots of upper body strength required in the challenges to get over obstacles etc

Ah wait, they had a 400m dash, running then to obstacles that are over 400m away and running up ramps.

Running back from throwing the sacks over the poll which was another 200m.

Even in the last series they had a 1k run.

There is plenty of running in it.

Throw some swimming, cycling, proper climbing etc. Many variations can be done.

Good runners will always do well in obstacle races, just look at what wins hell and back etc.

swimming, cycling, and running don't mix :p

last year they had a kick out the short people climbing challenge, up a ladder where the rungs started over a metre apart and got progressively further, another that was carrying heavy things, and more challenges that were obviously designed to let a few muscle-bound lugs get further in the competition :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ah wait, they had a 400m dash, running then to obstacles that are over 400m away and running up ramps.

Running back from throwing the sacks over the poll which was another 200m.

Even in the last series they had a 1k run.

There is plenty of running in it.

Throw some swimming, cycling, proper climbing etc. Many variations can be done.

Good runners will always do well in obstacle races, just look at what wins hell and back etc.

I thought Hell and back wasn't even a race anymore, seeing as they can't be bothered timing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I don't watch RTE so won't see this, it this the Mulhare family as in Michael and Daniel Mulhare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

pconn062 wrote: »
    I don't watch RTE so won't see this, it this the Mulhare family as in Michael and Daniel Mulhare?

And Mary... Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

As well as Mary (part of the 2012 Euro XC junior team) the mother is also a handy runner herself

ecoli wrote: »
    As well as Mary (part of the 2012 Euro XC junior team) the mother is also a handy runner herself

its the father competing instead

• Advertisement

Jaysus, that's a strange one. I didn't think they would be into that kind of thing. The Mulhaire brothers are some runners though, and I seen Mary running last year too, also quality. I imagine the show is more along the lines of the "Karl Henry" school of fitness rather that being about elite athletics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Jaysus, that's a strange one. I didn't think they would be into that kind of thing. The Mulhaire brothers are some runners though, and I seen Mary running last year too, also quality. I imagine the show is more along the lines of the "Karl Henry" school of fitness rather that being about elite athletics.

The O Reilly's last year contained two runners who have represented Ireland at junior level (not to mention the other two brothers who would be 15.30-16 min 5k guys)

ecoli wrote: »
    The O Reilly's last year contained two runners who have represented Ireland at junior level (not to mention the other two brothers who would be 15.30-16 min 5k guys)

In that case, maybe I'm wrong! As I said, I know nothing about the show. Might give it a look if the Mulhaire boys are in it.

As I said with 15k at stake for the winners, it's an attractive prize for a family who are top notch athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dunners1984

The show was strange on Saturday last. For some reason they couldn't show one family and then they barely even mentioned the family that got through in their place. Wonder what happened there?!! Very mysterious

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dunners1984

swimming, cycling, and running don't mix :p

last year they had a kick out the short people climbing challenge, up a ladder where the rungs started over a metre apart and got progressively further, another that was carrying heavy things, and more challenges that were obviously designed to let a few muscle-bound lugs get further in the competition :pac:

Thats nonsense because remember that young family from Clondalkin that played football etc. The lads were very short and young and they were the fastest up the ladder and the 2 boys flew over the wall of death or whatever it was called!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

The show was strange on Saturday last. For some reason they couldn't show one family and then they barely even mentioned the family that got through in their place. Wonder what happened there?!! Very mysterious

Would love to know...it was very odd !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

more of it last night, all focus on 1 group of families and a quick squeeze in of some also rans at the end

Exciting new shows for the new season on RTE

The Sunday Davern - In-depth coverage of the latest Davern fight (or training session if no fight scheduled)
    Mr Davern's Boys - Light-hearted comedy about a family of MMA fighters
    Davafornia - Totally unscripted fly-on-the-wall show about a country family
    Prime Davern - The issues that matter!
    Davern City - Topical drama
    Davern Davern Davern Davern - we haven't decided yet, but its bound to be good

and guess who is going to be co-hosting the Lata Late with Ryan this year?!?!

• Advertisement

Exciting new shows for the new season on RTE

The Sunday Davern - In-depth coverage of the latest Davern fight (or training session if no fight scheduled)
    Mr Davern's Boys - Light-hearted comedy about a family of MMA fighters
    Davafornia - Totally unscripted fly-on-the-wall show about a country family
    Prime Davern - The issues that matter!
    Davern City - Topical drama
    Davern Davern Davern Davern - we haven't decided yet, but its bound to be good

and guess who is going to be co-hosting the Lata Late with Ryan this year?!?!

I get that feeling too, i also get the feeling they must of cruised to the title and probably have a one off show special against last year winners for revenge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lettuce97

more of it last night, all focus on 1 group of families and a quick squeeze in of some also rans at the end

I'm more interested in this than who shot JFK! Anybody in the know??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So much sh1tetalk about this, particularly from Davy Fitz, spouting on about how he needs first place, nothing else will do, losing is like a death in the family (eh yeah sure!). It's a bit of a laugh. It's not exactly serious sport. Sure there's prize money but 15K is not exactly huge for something that so many people are making out to be such a big honour to win. It's simply entertainment, much like The Biggest Loser (which ironically in Australia had a far bigger prize fund for the winner, for fat people losing weight, but that's a different debate entirely!).

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So much sh1tetalk about this, particularly from Davy Fitz, spouting on about how he needs first place, nothing else will do, losing is like a death in the family (eh yeah sure!). It's a bit of a laugh. It's not exactly serious sport. Sure there's prize money but 15K is not exactly huge for something that so many people are making out to be such a big honour to win. It's simply entertainment, much like The Biggest Loser (which ironically in Australia had a far bigger prize fund for the winner, for fat people losing weight, but that's a different debate entirely!).

Come on, the fat people lose their weight, they need the prize money so they can put the weight back on surely!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

My big question is, what is the presenter WEARING? some weird hybrid of sports and normal clothes - what appear to be some kind of shiny exercise tights with a bejewelled sweatshirt, a sports top with denim shorts. A tech t shirt with what is (very) obviously an underwired, uplift bra ... I know it's a show about sports, but surely sportswear OR normal clothes would be fine, not a bit of both? (This is no comment on her presenting skills or attractiveness - she's a perfectly fine presenter and she's pretty and everything, I just think she's been oddly styled).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

HelenAnne wrote: »
    My big question is, what is the presenter WEARING? some weird hybrid of sports and normal clothes - what appear to be some kind of shiny exercise tights with a bejewelled sweatshirt, a sports top with denim shorts. A tech t shirt with what is (very) obviously an underwired, uplift bra ... I know it's a show about sports, but surely sportswear OR normal clothes would be fine, not a bit of both? (This is no comment on her presenting skills or attractiveness - she's a perfectly fine presenter and she's pretty and everything, I just think she's been oddly styled).

My thoughts exactly! Sack the stylist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

Good final...
    both Daverns and Mulhaires beaten by the farming family from Kinsale, Mulhaire lad did not look happy

Really all came down to that final 10 foot wall.
    One family sent two people on ahead, had one guy sitting on the wall to pull the last guy up. The winning family kept two people on the wall to pull up the last guy. Didn't they have huge trouble with that wall in a previous round? Knew how to handle it this time.

Really all came down to that final 10 foot wall.
    One family sent two people on ahead, had one guy sitting on the wall to pull the last guy up. The winning family kept two people on the wall to pull up the last guy. Didn't they have huge trouble with that wall in a previous round? Knew how to handle it this time.

They are a little bit of bad losers. Fair play to the winners, team play always wins over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Tactics won it in the end rather than fitness. I thought the final was fairly handy, it was just a couple of the obstacles from Hell and Back. For a real fitness test they should have run the whole thing.

Advertisement