Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farine s'il vous plaît...

Options
  • 19-09-2014 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Merde alors

Ok. Can someone tell me where I can buy French flour in or around South Dublin / North Wicklow? T45, T55, T65, T80 ... I don't flippin' care.

I also use Italian Tipo 00 . I can get THAT no problem, as they sell it in various shops or I can even go to Campo de Fiore in Bray who're happy to sell it to me straight out of their kitchen. But French flour seems to be pretty much unobtainable. Yeah, I found some online sites that sell the stuff, but the shipping is more than the flour itself, so that's not a runner.

Au secours, amis!!!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Bonjour :)

You were unlikely to get many helpful replies in the Cakes & Bakes forum so I've moved your thread to the relevant regional forum, Dublin County South.

Bon chance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

"You were unlikely to get many helpful replies in the Cakes & Bakes forum"

Well, I'm happy for this to be moved to wherever it may get the best chance of it being answered but I thought that fellow bakers may have been able to source this somewhere for a reasonable price. There isn't a forum dedicated to "bread making" so "cakes and bakes" seemed the most apropos for the question. Well, here's hoping it'll get a better response in its new home :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The posters in Cakes & Bakes are from all over and the chances of many of them being in Dublin South is slim, so we always move enquiries about specific regions to the relevant forums. The link remains in Cakes & Bakes so the thread can still be accessed from there.

Cheers

Maybe I should have said that Dublin South / North Co. Wicklow was my preferred location... I'd rather not have to travel to Donegal to get this flour, but if I had to travel a little further afield than my local area I would. An online shop with reasonable shipping costs would be acceptable, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My brother in lawhas a bakery in France and grows and mills his own. If your willing to pay for shipping I coyld hook you guys up .

• Advertisement

Ok.... but I'm an amateur baker and I only bake for personal use, just for me and my family. I might use 3kg of flour for bread making in a month, so I'm wondering whether this would be worth his while? I'd be quite happy to pay around €10 for 3kg of flour and about €5 on top of that for shipping...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Ok.... but I'm an amateur baker and I only bake for personal use, just for me and my family. I might use 3kg of flour for bread making in a month, so I'm wondering whether this would be worth his while? I'd be quite happy to pay around €10 for 3kg of flour and about €5 on top of that for shipping...

PM your e-mail address to ted1 and he'll put you in touch with the guy in France, that's the only way you're going to find out whether it's feasible or not. From the numbers you're quoting, maybe you could buy two or three months requirement each time to keep a lid on the shipping costs?

Sure, though there is no need to PM anything.... obvious gmail address is obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 25,444 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sure, though there is no need to PM anything.... obvious gmail address is obvious

I think given that he made the offer, it might be a basic courtesy to send him a PM anyway. He's not a mind reader and not everyone uses their boards handle as their gmail address.

Fair point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

A previous thread in the Food and Drink section recommended the Hopsack in Rathmines. Thread is 10 years old so it might be a stretch that they still sell flour. But might be worth sending them an email, to info@hopsack.ie, to see if they still do.

Thank you! I sent them an e-mail

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

well . . . . avez-vous encore trouvé la farine?

Nope. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

Nope. :-(

Odaois foods in Citywest supply restaurants with these flours, they sometimes deal with individual customers.

Thank you!

Advertisement