Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vw jetta tdi 05 06

• 20-09-2014 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi i was wondering what the 05 to 06 vw jettas are like this is gonna be my 3rd car 1st time on the road and was wondering is there any major factory issues. i heard that the 06 passats are very unreliable so that has put me off the passat b6 but what about the jettas? i dont want unnecessary car bills that could of been avoided with advice so any help i thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Jetta is basically a Golf with a boot that was built in South Africa. They only came out in 2006 and how good or trouble free one is will depend on how it was cared for over the course of it's life. 1.9 TDi tends to be a lot more reliable than the 2.0 TDi but at the year you are looking at it will be tough to find a good clean one. Like most VAG diesels of similar age they are either driven to the moon and back or modified and ragged to death. Ideally you need to find one that has been owned by the same person for a good few years and has some sort of service history with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 skud man

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Jetta is basically a Golf with a boot that was built in South Africa. They only came out in 2006 and how good or trouble free one is will depend on how it was cared for over the course of it's life. 1.9 TDi tends to be a lot more reliable than the 2.0 TDi but at the year you are looking at it will be tough to find a good clean one. Like most VAG diesels of similar age they are either driven to the moon and back or modified and ragged to death. Ideally you need to find one that has been owned by the same person for a good few years and has some sort of service history with it.

ya iv heard the 2.0 litre jettas seem to be very troublesome compared to the 1.9.. ya it be best to get someone who has had it for awhile and possibly a lady owner also not some young fella whos pulling hand brakes in the thing to park it haha what milage would be ok for the year im lookimg on donedeal and most of them seem to have 200000 miles or more which to me seem alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

What have you heard about the 2.0TDI Jettas? What problems do they give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

bazz26 wrote: »

The boot is actually larger in the Jetta than the Passat. Go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

I have a 06 1.9 TDI Jetta 113k miles (I bought it in England three years ago with 40k on the clock - all checked and verified by the AA). Properly serviced and maintained by VW. I've had no real problems with it other than it bores the tits off me. Was going to sell this month but have had to delay a bit due to changes in circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

What have you heard about the 2.0TDI Jettas? What problems do they give?

I've also heard the 2.0 is way more unreliable then the 1.9.

Is this a myth or is there some truth to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

There is some truth to it but the version of the 2.0 engine fitted to the Jetta wouldn't be affected.

If you google 2.0TDI problems you will find lots of reports of oil pump/balance shaft problems which is extremely expensive to put right. However the 2.0 engines fitted to Golf based cars don't have a balance shaft so don't suffer from this issue.

Advertisement