Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have four days to pick a present for my Girlfriend's 21st

• 20-09-2014 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

I honestly have no idea what to get so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotten her perfume before so that's really off the table and was looking into a handbag from BT but nearly fainted when I saw the prices..

We've been going out about 8 months and budget wise was thinking about 80 quid (I've already arranged for flowers and stuff on the day).

Hobbies wise she's quite into her reading and was (and still is really) a big fan of the Harry Potter series although I dont think that'd it'd be a main source of a present but maybe a small side one. Anything would do at this stage but ideally something she'd have to keep in like 10 years time.

And NOT a ring thank you!

Comments

Put on your robe and wizard hat for her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Crotchless panties.

Tacky, but cheap, especially if you just use take a scissors to one of her existing ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Check out follie follie jellewery. There should be some nice necklaces in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

I honestly have no idea what to get so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've gotten her perfume before so that's really off the table and was looking into a handbag from BT but nearly fainted when I saw the prices..

We've been going out about 8 months and budget wise was thinking about 80 quid (I've already arranged for flowers and stuff on the day).

Hobbies wise she's quite into her reading and was (and still is really) a big fan of the Harry Potter series although I dont think that'd it'd be a main source of a present but maybe a small side one. Anything would do at this stage but ideally something she'd have to keep in like 10 years time.

There are decent bags in Aldo that are about 50-60 euro.They're not leather but look pretty nice.
    Edit:didn't read your post properly.The Aldo bags wouldn't last ten years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

For €80 you could get her a service gift voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Just show her in your own little ways everyday that you love and appreciate her.

jk get a chinese knock-off handbag off ebay ye get a free Scent of Slave Sweat sorted!

What about a Pandora bracelet with something wizard related as a charm?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

best thing all girls love are expensive charm bracelets!!

then hit ann summers for some nice gear that both yas will enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

An owl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surprise sex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Dónal wrote: »
    What about a Pandora bracelet with something wizard related as a charm?

Hmmm could be a good suggestion I'm hard at work googling!

As for the rest of the replies I expected it in the AH :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

A Piñata filled with condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Just ask her what she wants, or to give you some suggestions. It's better to spoil the surprise element than get something she has no interest in.

Just ask her what she wants, or to give you some suggestions. It's better to spoil the surprise element than get something she has no interest in.

It's gone too far now at this stage whereby I've lied saying I already know what I'm getting her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Arrange a surprise party in MacDonalds and you come along dresssed up as Ronald MacDonald. Other guests come along as other MacDonalds characters. Quick + cheap solution with only 4 days left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dónal wrote: »
    Put on your robe and wizard hat for her

......and take out your magic wand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

pack of fig rolls and 2 chomps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

1. Cut a hole in a box
    2. Put your junk in that box
    3. Make her open the box
    And that's the way you do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Jewellery: Pandora Bracelet with a charm or two.
    Earrings. River island do watches that look like imitation Michael kors for about 38 euro.

Bag: river island always a good bet for handbags, though they're not going to last ten years, you can get the matching purse too. There's one in there at the minute, it's a black quilted one, gold strap, very similar to the Chanel style bags.

Makeup: urban decay naked palette (3 to choose from) Have yet to find a girl who doesn't love that palette.

Spa Day: most spas usually do spa offers. Check out spas.ie for a list of spas and offers.

A puppy? I don't know. I wouldn't know much about the reading/Harry potter side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jagdtiger

You're fooked...

• Advertisement

Jewellery: Pandora Bracelet with a charm or two.
    Earrings. River island do watches that look like imitation Michael kors for about 38 euro.

Bag: river island always a good bet for handbags, though they're not going to last ten years, you can get the matching purse too. There's one in there at the minute, it's a black quilted one, gold strap, very similar to the Chanel style bags.

Makeup: urban decay naked palette (3 to choose from) Have yet to find a girl who doesn't love that palette.

Spa Day: most spas usually do spa offers. Check out spas.ie for a list of spas and offers.

A puppy? I don't know. I wouldn't know much about the reading/Harry potter side of things

Thanks for the list!

She's just got a new watch/purse already for her 21st (she's temporarily abroad so had a party early).

Is two charms like a standard starting point to go for? She's an average sized 10-12 girl so what length bracelet would that roughly be would you know or is it standard sized?

On the naked palette I had actually consider that as she has the number 2 and I casually slipped it in to the conversation and she said 3 was all random colours and 1 wasnt what she'd use as she sticks to browns usually.

Spa/River Island bag is a good shout - I know she had a river island bag that she loves but ink from a pen burst all over it and she couldnt get it out!

Thanks for the list!

She's just got a new watch/purse already for her 21st (she's temporarily abroad so had a party early).

Is two charms like a standard starting point to go for? She's an average sized 10-12 girl so what length bracelet would that roughly be would you know or is it standard sized?

On the naked palette I had actually consider that as she has the number 2 and I casually slipped it in to the conversation and she said 3 was all random colours and 1 wasnt what she'd use as she sticks to browns usually.

Spa/River Island bag is a good shout - I know she had a river island bag that she loves but ink from a pen burst all over it and she couldnt get it out!
    The bracelets come in different lengths but the assistant will show you the lengths so you can choose yourself, I'd personally get two charms starting off cause one would just look a bit lonely, but it's handy because for different anniversaries you can pick up a charm or whatever.

The Naked 3 is a lot of nudes, pinks and purples. It's a gorgeous palette but I think it would suit someone with fair skin/blue eyes more than anyone else. Naked 1 would be the most versatile one, there's some lovely colours in it (few browns, a grey, black, a gold) just off the top of my head.
    Mac would be good for lipsticks, if she was into that.

They've gorgeous bags in RI at the moment. You could pick up random bits to pop into the bag too, if you wanted.

Oh and a cupcake! Birthday cupcakes are the best :)
    You'll be grand you've loads of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Send her a text an hour before the party dumping her.
    Your choice of present (or lack of one) will pale into insignificance.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

The bracelets come in different lengths but the assistant will show you the lengths so you can choose yourself, I'd personally get two charms starting off cause one would just look a bit lonely, but it's handy because for different anniversaries you can pick up a charm or whatever.

The Naked 3 is a lot of nudes, pinks and purples. It's a gorgeous palette but I think it would suit someone with fair skin/blue eyes more than anyone else. Naked 1 would be the most versatile one, there's some lovely colours in it (few browns, a grey, black, a gold) just off the top of my head.

They've gorgeous bags in RI at the moment. You could pick up random bits to pop into the bag too, if you wanted.

so we've met the girlfriend:D

I feel much more relaxed about it now thanks for the help!

Just with charm bracelets you dont know if the holes for the charms are standard size or brand specific? i.e. only pandora charms will fit on pandore bracelets? Looking on their site it was 60 quid for the bracelet alone!

I feel much more relaxed about it now thanks for the help!

Just with charm bracelets you dont know if the holes for the charms are standard size or brand specific? i.e. only pandora charms will fit on pandore bracelets? Looking on their site it was 60 quid for the bracelet alone!

I don't know to be honest, my oh got me my bracelet and I've never had other charms, just pandora ones so I'm not sure if others fit.

davemc180 wrote: »
    so we've met the girlfriend:D

It's my birthday next week! I've asked for either a puppy or a piglet! If I thought the OP was my oh I'd be going to town on pig selections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Bafucin

You're over thinking....pick something from Argos and be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

gugleguy wrote: »
    Arrange a surprise party in MacDonalds and you come along dresssed up as Ronald MacDonald. Other guests come along as other MacDonalds characters. Quick + cheap solution with only 4 days left.

Want to get married Clownboy? That's sooooo romantic. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

There goes my suggestion for a Claddagh ring with her birthstone out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

LexieOnRale gave great suggestions, can't go wrong with a River Island bag or a Pandora bracelet.

The only two other suggestions I have would be a kindle for her for reading, they cost about €80 and are amazing, I love mine.

The other thing was HP pyjamas that Penney's are currently stocking. They're really cool Quidditch style pj's, and I think they only cost about €15 quid. Not hugely expensive but if she's a a HP fan she'll love them! Someone bought me some this week as a random gift and I was very impressed and I'm also a huge HP fan.

Good luck, let us know what you get! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You're too young to be in a relationship. Finger her best mate and be done with it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I was going to suggest a kindle as well. One of the best presents I've ever got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Thanks for the list!

Possibly a Size 12? Gym membership and running shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Possibly a Size 12? Gym membership and running shoes

If that was supposed to be a joke it wasn't funny at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Get her a 3 in 1 in the long tray from the Golden Wok with a can of diet coke for a wash down.

Mott's love the diet coke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

There's a a lad on here called Chris that all the women are Crazy about.
    Get Chris to take her out, wine and dine her.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mustard_igloo

I'd definitely say a kindle, and then download the Harry potter books onto it! Or a watch with something engraved on it.

Maybe a night away? You can get cheap enough deals on groupon etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I got a History of Ireland ring as a present for my 21st. Only thing I remember getting, and still wearing!

Pandora bracelets are ridiculously expensive, and a bit of a fad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Get her a strap on. You need to benefit from this gift too OP.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

The Making of Harry Potter tour.

Double up the present with your next holiday ya romantic fucker. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Larianne wrote: »
    I got a History of Ireland ring as a present for my 21st. Only thing I remember getting, and still wearing!

Pandora bracelets are ridiculously expensive, and a bit of a fad.

Yeah once everyone started wearing pandora bracelets I stopped wearing mine, took the whole "personalised" gift aspect away from it since it looks basically the same as everyone else's.
    I like the links of London friendship bracelets and those are one size fits all, they are also a well known brand if shes into that kind of stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Buy her an €80 petrol voucher. She can use it to give to you for your birthday if she doesn't have a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Buy her a pair of oven gloves and an apron, she's 21 now and over the hill at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

wazky wrote: »
    Buy her a pair of oven gloves and an apron, she's 21 now and over the hill at this stage.
    What about the frilly hat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Buy her a Ferrari.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Alex & Ani bracelet, they start at aboyt 30 quid & there is 100's to pick from all with different meanings. I got a couple as presents for my birthday & loved them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

If she's anything from a moderate - hardcore/completely obsessed fan of Harry Potter, you could order "Quidditch Through The Ages" or "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" from Amazon, as part of a present, maybe? They'd only set you back about a tenner apiece (delivery and all), max.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

A piece of Newbridge jewellery, some lovely pieces and very affordable. There are charm bracelets in their range too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement