Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham Utd v Liverpool, Sat Sept 20th, KO@17:30, SS1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Don't forget this book also:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/They-Dared-Dream-Rodgers-Liverpool-ebook/dp/B00LEG66SE/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411248782&sr=1-5&keywords=dare+to+dream

It's actually cringeworthy and embarrassing how many books have been written about their failure to win the league the last season to twist it into something glorious. Celebrating second place as if they had won the league is mind boggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

niallo27 wrote: »
    Your right. Relegation this year I think. Out of the football league by 2017.

Relegation? Don't think so, too many weaker teams to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't know did you try any other club than liverpool.

Are we not discussing them? Why try any other club?

Just to humour you,I had a quick search,nope-not a single book on the glory of failure.

Oh my God that is pathetic :) That has made my night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Utd brought out a book about moyes. They also have a book out about van gal after he won the international superstar soccer cup.

zerks wrote: »
    Are we not discussing them? Why try any other club?

Just to humour you,I had a quick search,nope-not a single book on the glory of failure.

I don't your getting it. It's called a season review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

there are three books ?!?!?! :pac::pac::pac:

(it kills me to be fair, but what probably happened was a bunch of people starting writing books when they thought Liverpool were going to win, and when they didn't win thought, "feck it, I've done too much work to throw it all out, it'll have to be a book about our glorious defeat instead!")

No it's not,it's a bizarre set of publications from the minds of those we'd avoid on the street.

Anyhow,highlights on MOTD now.

The club releases an official season review

These glorious books of glory are not that. Its great, just accept it and smile, much easier.

Season review books and DVDs don't usually contain hyperbole like "dare to dream" "Make us dream" "glorious season" etc for challenging teams that end up throwing away a championship lead as something to be glorified and revelled in.

• Advertisement

zarquon wrote: »
    Season review books and DVDs don't usually contain hyperbole like "dare to dream" "Make us dream" "glorious season" etc for challenging teams that end up throwing away a championship lead as something to be glorified and revelled in.

Exactly! You would think the books would have a slightly different slant on them rather then apparently celebrating the failure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Utd brought out a book about moyes. They also have a book out about van gal after he won the international superstar soccer cup.

What's this thread got to do with Manchester United?

Are you saying last year wasn't a brilliant year for liverpool and yes every DVD makes the best of what happened the year before. Would they sell many copies if it was called "Season 13/14 so close but the ***** ****ed it up"

I wouldn't waste my team reading the books but the amazon reviews of them are hilarious especially the "they dared to dream" book. The reviews have parodied the glorification of failure excellently.

yabadabado wrote: »
    What's this thread got to do with Manchester United?

Well you see I was talking to Manchester utd fans and to make a point I made a reference to their club as a comparison to which they would understand and comprehend.

Are you saying last year wasn't a brilliant year for liverpool and yes every DVD makes the best of what happened the year before. Would they sell many copies if it was called "Season 13/14 so close but the ***** ****ed it up"

2nd place was a great year for liverpool but the same type of season would have been disappointing for some other teams.

For a team that is not expected to be a league challenger i can understand how second place could be a thing of glory.

Will there be a plethora of books again this year proclaiming the heroic nature of the team with the title "they dared to dream, how liverpool almost qualified for the champions league"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

zerks wrote: »
    Well they did bring out a book on it.

There are three books on Amazon about last season from a Liverpool point of view. One I think titled "they dared to dream" and two are titled "make us dream".

II'm not making this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Well you see I was talking to Manchester utd fans and to make a point I made a reference to their club as a comparison to which they would understand and comprehend.

That "They Dared To Dream" book is a long running joke. It's amazingly cringey, there's no defending it.

That "They Dared To Dream" book is a long running joke. It's amazingly cringey, there's no defending it.

I can't believe I had no knowledge of these gifts :) The jeers I have missed out on, so much to catch up with

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    I can't believe I had no knowledge of these gifts :) The jeers I have missed out on, so much to catch up with

Make sure you read the amazon reviews, far more entertaining than the books themselves.

There's even a sequel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Make sure you read the amazon reviews, far more entertaining than the books themselves.

Yep, I'm rolling around at some of these.:D
    By
    Harry K
    This review is from: They Dared To Dream: How Rodgers' Liverpool Went So Close (Kindle Edition)
    "Football? Bloody hell!", as Bill Shankly once said.

By the final chapter of this book I was kneeling on the floor of my living room, floods of tears pattering onto my replica kit, wailing like a hysterical gibbon. My dogs, Rushie and Aldo, wailed in solidarity with me. They understood; my wife didn't. I felled her with a right hook.

Imagine if all you ever wanted was a carrot cake, and then, after 25 years without one, you see your most loyal friend walking towards your house smiling, carrying a carrot cake with your name on it. As he reaches your drive, he tumbles calamitously into a ditch. You rush out to find him writhing in agony amongst a cakey-muddy mess, a hungry raven pecking at his flesh. That is how we Liverpool fans feel about the 13/14 season (the raven is Tony Pulis, by the way).

This book is not just some cynical cash-in to make money out of Irish people. Paul Tomkins has truly encapsulated the modern-day Liverpool Football Club experience in literary form: the misty-eyed sentimentality, the endless self-mythologizing and, above all, the abject, humiliating failure. YNWA.

Zico wrote: »

The Spirit Of Crystanbul will never die.

After all this ribbing,United better not lose tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

There's actually a fourth book I just saw called "we go again"

Amazon has an excellent football book section.

As a contrast I can only find two books about 98/99 season for Manchester United. Strange.

Zico wrote: »

Shouldn't that raven have been Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does Gerrard need new studs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lads...why are yee all back slapping about the existence of books which Liverpool have absolutely nothing to do with?

It takes a while to write a book, obviously a few opportunists hoping to make a quick buck started working on them midseason, and now look like idiots - still in no way connected to the club though. To self publish on Amazon is pretty cheap anyway, worth the risk, and probably somethign we'll unfortunately see more of (poorly written books, without the time spent on them which they require, shoveled out to feed the zeitgeist.)

**** this place is maddeningly childish at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Does Gerrard need new studs?
    Anything that'll bring to bite back to Liverpool's game is worth a shot at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ahh Jesus bringing in fan books now it's not as if they were officially released by the club.

No worse than web sites but people are making money from people who are gullible to buy them.

Sure they don't have to be from the club, officially, (like a season review as oul Niallo tried to portray them as earlier) to be funny. What is life if you cannot find the time to laugh?

• Advertisement

Sure they don't have to be from the club, officially, (like a season review as oul Niallo tried to portray them as earlier) to be funny. What is life if you cannot find the time to laugh?

Less of the oul.

Less of the oul.

Apologies my young scamp :) Feeling old myself, maybe wanted a bit of company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

From a thread full of chaos and despair a seed of love has sprouted.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

There's even a sequel...

zing! another win mate. quality stuff.

Our defence seems completely lost, Lovern has been so unimpressive and I think we look foolish now selling Agger. so lightweight up front and so f'n narrow too. what does Lallana offer that Sterling doesn't? only 2 games I know but so far seems to be a waste of money

BMMachine wrote: »

Our defence seems completely lost, Lovern has been so unimpressive and I think we look foolish now selling Agger. so lightweight up front and so f'n narrow too. what does Lallana offer that Sterling doesn't? only 2 games I know but so far seems to be a waste of money

A significantly higher financial outlay?

A significantly higher financial outlay?

€25million.... mind boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I don't read his books but Paul Tomkins releases books on Liverpool regularly. He released one the season the club finished 4th. He released one the season Liverpool finished 7th. I imagine he was going to release a season review book last season no matter where the club finished.

I know United fans are trying to make out he released a book especially cause Liverpool finished 2nd but that's not the case. All really infantile stuff to be honest. Last few pages of this thread are a car crash to be honest.

I don't read his books but Paul Tomkins releases books on Liverpool regularly. He released one the season the club finished 4th. He released one the season Liverpool finished 7th. I imagine he was going to release a season review book last season no matter where the club finished.

I know United fans are trying to make out he released a book especially cause Liverpool finished 2nd but that's not the case. All really infantile stuff to be honest. Last few pages of this thread are a car crash to be honest.

no way mate, those facts have no bearing on reality. we should all collectively feel ashamed for a book that was released that we all wrote and all thought was a brilliant idea and people have a right to laugh at liverpool fans about this book because we were all obviously involved. can you take your relevant information out of this thread please

Of course and naturally if the shoe was on the other foot no Liverpool fan anywhere in the world would ever consider giving any United fan, anywhere at all a gentle ribbing about it, wouldn't happen. Football fans don't simply latch on to any reason at all to laugh at rivals. Never see it anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Of course and naturally if the shoe was on the other foot no Liverpool fan anywhere in the world would ever consider giving any United fan, anywhere at all a gentle ribbing about it, wouldn't happen. Football fans don't simply latch on to any reason at all to laugh at rivals. Never see it anywhere else.

I'd have to disagree, Ribbing just sounds and reads wrong.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree, Ribbing just sounds and reads wrong.

Are you sure you wouldn't like a gentle ribbing? Read it slowly.

Are you sure you wouldn't like a gentle ribbing? Read it slowly.

No matter how you dress it up, it still looks wrong.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    No matter how you dress it up, it still looks wrong.

Maybe its something you need to feel? I can show you if you like?

Maybe its something you need to feel? I can show you if you like?

Getting weird now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nope, of course it's not limited to certain teams fans, it's limited to children.

yeah you are probably right, there are lots of people with pretty low standards nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Its the title of the book that rightfully draws ire. Like they were some plucky conference team full of amatuers with full time jobs "daring to dream" of an FA cup run......and not a billion dollar club whose star player is worth more than most squads combined.

BMMachine wrote: »

Nope, another loss, 3-1 did you not see it?

Nope, another loss, 3-1 did you not see it?

Pow! Right in the kisser!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Is it fair to say the Sam has seen the weakness and told his players to tactically go for it or is it just sloppy defending?

he's hardly a master tactician, every dog on the street knows that if you press and harry Liverpool from the front and get people behind the ball then you can beat them... same last year with Southampton and a few other games

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement