Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Suggested Locations

Options
  • 20-09-2014 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Is there restrictions on where you can locate a gas boiler?
    The unit we have is about 15-20 years old and will need to be replaced soon. When we replace it we may want to put it in a different location to free up wall space in the kitchen.
    Assuming that we can run plumbing to any location in the house is there any factors we need to considered.....required space around the boiler, fresh air flow, noise levels etc.
    I think under our stairs might be ideal (from our POV) but not sure on restrictions etc.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    Is there restrictions on where you can locate a gas boiler?
    The unit we have is about 15-20 years old and will need to be replaced soon. When we replace it we may want to put it in a different location to free up wall space in the kitchen.
    Assuming that we can run plumbing to any location in the house is there any factors we need to considered.....required space around the boiler, fresh air flow, noise levels etc.
    I think under our stairs might be ideal (from our POV) but not sure on restrictions etc.
    Thanks

There's no problem putting a boiler under the stairs. Newer boilers don't need an air supply from the room. Things you have to watch out for is the space your gonna need around the boiler, accessibility, and most importantly, where the flue exits outside

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    accessibility, and most importantly, where the flue exits outside

Thanks for that - space might be a little tight for install but rountine service one a year would be ok?
    The under-stairs backs onto the gable wall so I assume we could run a flue out that way - do these have a hight requirement?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

okmqaz42 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - space might be a little tight for install but rountine service one a year would be ok?
    The under-stairs backs onto the gable wall so I assume we could run a flue out that way - do these have a hight requirement?

Thanks again

Every boiler will have the allowed clearances on the instructions. All flues have distances for clearances from the likes of doors, windows etc. if your flue is under 2 metres high outside, then you must put a flue guard around it. Your RGI will advise you on all this. Let him see the job before you do any alterations

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Let him see the job before you do any alterations

Will do, thanks for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

My knowledge is a bit rusty.

Do boilers understairs still require extra fire profing, as in double slab (30 miniutes fire retention) plasterboard because stairs is classed as a fire escape ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

A boiler under the stairs would need one hour fire rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

My brother is a central heating installer and engineer. He replaced the boiler in our folks house, and moved the boiler from the kitchen to the attic. It's an end of terrace house. Might be worth thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

pablo128 wrote: »
    My brother is a central heating installer and engineer. He replaced the boiler in our folks house, and moved the boiler from the kitchen to the attic. It's an end of terrace house. Might be worth thinking about.

I done the very same thing myself last year.

pablo128 wrote: »

Boilers in attics suffer from installation errors more so than boilers fitted at a lower point on the system, rarely are they plumbed taking into account the effects air in the pipework will have on the boiler.

If they leak the water damage tends to be much more dramatic than if the boiler was fitted on the ground level.

Access is another problem just turning up the boiler thermostat requires a trip into the attic, often with attic installations i come across OAPs without heating and hot water because they are unable to refill the heating system, reset the boiler or identify the fault code which can speed up the repair process.

I would go for under the stairs option and if your not fitting a combi boiler maybe look at a regular boiler with some components outside of the boiler making the boiler a little bit smaller giving you more wiggle room.

So I don't like attic installations because they rarely get the attention to detail they require but if fitted properly they can be a very good answer to space issues in a home.

Advertisement