Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathfarnham 5k 28/09/2014

Options
  • 20-09-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭

Race Website

Last years thread

Entry

I know this is a very popular race but i don't see a thread.

Ran this three years ago and had an awful time of it. Ran a stinker. Course is net downhill and fast in sections so hoping for an improvement. Sub 20 for the first time would be nice.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Registered for this one as well, as just did Dublin Half Marathon today so now looking at doing others.

Are they many doing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Hmmm...I hadn't really given this much consideration, but after today I might go over and see if I can get some of my running mojo back...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Hi there, Wubble fair play for getting back into today's HM and you finished great time considering all else against you. Rathfarnham 5k will be a breeze for you and it might just be the tonic you need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Going to have a cut at this. I've been doing a general weight training program as I cant do too many running miles at the moment. Should get a good indication of form here as its a fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

After running sub 26 mins at Waterstown parkrun last weekend, looking forward to an easier course and a decent time this Sunday. Only problem I have is actually getting there, thanks to Dublin Bus not getting out of bed on a Sunday morning. Looks like a nice 5 Km walk over to Rathfarnham..... At least I'll have stretched out the legs :)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's a great race.
    For your own sanity (and that of the race organisers) pick up your race gear in the days before the race, not on Sunday morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I entered this race. It will be my first ever 5k so Im looking forward to seeing what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Does anyone know who's contesting at the front of the bunch? I think Mark Christie won this in a good time last year. Be good to see a tight finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Think i be pulling out of this, have to go as dad not well.

If the race starts at 10, what time should people arrive at? Would 9:30 be ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

depends how your travelling, if by car, I'd say it could be a bit of a nightmare to get parking around Terenure College if only arriving at 9.30

Yeah it's by car. Might get there for 9ish then. I've not done a race before so wash't sure of what goes on before hand and how much time you need to get ready.

My first time also, but I live locally, fast course, should be PB's all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

KJ wrote: »
    Yeah it's by car. Might get there for 9ish then. I've not done a race before so wash't sure of what goes on before hand and how much time you need to get ready.

If you need to collect your number, get there as early as possible
    If you plan to go to the toilet before the start, aim to be there at nine to get parking and beat the queues
    Otherwise all you have to do before the start is warm up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

No tech shirts this year.... Cotton t shirts!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

David McCarthy 14.13 beating Martin Fagan into second in 14.21.

some pace by the winner, nice fast course, only one small drag in the 2nd km

poor t-shirts provided alright, if you're going to the effort of providing a t-shirt, it should be some way decent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Fast course alright, top 10 lads broke 15 minutes!!! Perfect conditions for it.
    As for the t-shirt, feels like cotton but written on the inside it says 100% polyester :confused:

I finished in a respectable 22.01 in 329th place. Im quite happy with that as it was my first race. I opted not to run in the t-shirt and just wore my own tech shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

19.57. First time sub 20. Very happy.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

pac_man wrote: »
    Did I hear right when the announcer said that there was an 87 old year man finished this under 40 mins?

Yeah his name is Brendan Earley - he runs with the Civil Service Harriers as far as I know. Pretty amazing time!! Saw him beating lots of people half his age!

Really enjoyed the race today but was disappointed with the tshirt, especially given some of the high quality stuff they've given out in previous years. Also the signs for the starting pens are a bit confusing! Almost everyone in the race fits in ahead of the "sub 19 minutes" sign!

Finally, a few of us got a chip time 1 or 2 seconds slower than what we thought. Anyone else notice this? The starting mat must have been a little before where we thought it was. Not a major issue, unless you finish a second off your PB, which one of my friends did! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Really enjoyed it. Don't run much other than laps at football training. Did it 19.06 started kind of far back so found I was zig zagging a lot at the start and that must of added a few seconds.

Real buzz from this think ill do some more and actually do training for it be interesting to see what times I could do. Do you have to be of a certain standard to join a running club?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

aodea wrote: »

Real buzz from this think ill do some more and actually do training for it be interesting to see what times I could do. Do you have to be of a certain standard to join a running club?

Not at all! If you look at the people with a club attached to their name in the results, you'll see that all levels, ages and abilities are catered for in running clubs. In fact, you'll have beaten many club runners in the race today!

A club is a great way to motivate yourself and to have company during tough training runs. Plus the camaraderie during races is brilliant! If you google running clubs in Dublin, you'll find loads. Where are you based?

Aquals wrote: »
    Not at all! If you look at the people with a club attached to their name in the results, you'll see that all levels, ages and abilities are catered for in running clubs. In fact, you'll have beaten many club runners in the race today!

A club is a great way to motivate yourself and to have company during tough training runs. Plus the camaraderie during races is brilliant! If you google running clubs in Dublin, you'll find loads. Where are you based?

Thanks for this. I based in rathmines. The training side of things would it be one or two nights or how would it work? What are the fees involved also? Signed up for a night run in November so that gives me a target.

thats a fast time for little focussed training,joining a club could see you shave some serious time off of it

usually only an annual membership fee for a club, couple of big clubs next door to Rathmines in Terenure and Rathfarnham

missed out on 20 minutes myself, went too fast for first two miles and blew up, now to sign up for another one and avoid repeating the mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Enjoyed the run today - Finished in 24:39, which given where I have come from in the last couple of years, was tremendous.
    I never run in the shirts they give you for a race, as I was always advised never to wear something new for a race. Shirt seems OK to me, but when you have a few drawers full, it's not a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I really enjoyed it yesterday. ...it was clean and crisp and such a lovely run. I had read online that it was a fast course so you could really aim to set a new personal best. I dunno what happened. ..but I ended up doing worse than normal and was just outside 30 mins. Same happened in the FWMM. My worst fear is having to stop but I think im taking it all too handy now.

When I saw the finish I made a sprint for it and even though I thought I hadnt much left, it turned out I'd a huge amount of unused energy left. Time to start pushing myself and tapping into that resource more evenly throughout the race instead of getting too comfortable at a doddle and keeping it all for 200m before the finish!

Andalucia wrote: »
    thats a fast time for little focussed training,joining a club could see you shave some serious time off of it

usually only an annual membership fee for a club, couple of big clubs next door to Rathmines in Terenure and Rathfarnham

missed out on 20 minutes myself, went too fast for first two miles and blew up, now to sign up for another one and avoid repeating the mistake

Thanks for that, Yeah i dont really have any idea with pacing and stuff. i defo had a bit left in the thank at the end because i was flat out for last 600m so i think i would improve from a bit of coaching/advice.

i dont know what realistic goals are until i get some help so will defo contact a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

pac_man wrote: »
    Did I hear right when the announcer said that there was an 87 old year man finished this under 40 mins?
    That was probably the wonderful Brendan Earley of Civil Service Harriers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Andalucia wrote: »

Any inkling of a decent 5k race in the next couple of months, looking to break that 20 myself but this was too soon for me.

Advertisement