Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 fan overdrive, even when streaming over network. Advice needed.

Options
  • 20-09-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Anyone else experience this?
    My PS3 has been acting a little bit strange in that the fans go into overdrive quite often recently. This happens even when streaming video over my network which I imagine shouldn't be happening. It used to do this with any Naughty Dog game, The Last of Us, Uncharted 2 and 3. It generally happens about 10-20 minutes into the video and persist until the console is turned off. Doesn't happen all the time but it happening quite frequently recently.

I've had to have the laser for Games/blurays repaired a few years back.

Anyone got any advice? Is this a symptom of something else about to go wrong with it? Since it's WELL outside of i's warranty should I just crack it open and clean it out. Never done that before? Is it hard to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

Hi. I'm afraid standard cleaning will not help with 'crazy fan' issue. You have to change thermal paste under IHS on both processors. Risky if no experience and tools.
    Did you notice more problems than fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yes i would hoover it out man,no need to take it apart straight away. Vents on front,side and back. You would be surprised how a build up of dust can clog everything up and restrict airflow and increase temps. Especially if its the old bulkier PS3

I would certainly try that before replacing any TIM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'll give it a good hoover when I get around to it. It's kind of odd really. Used it some today for some streaming and there didn't kick off at all. Seems to just throw it's toys out of the pram randomly really.

What kind of paste would I need if I was going to do that? I have some coolermaster ice ( i think) lying around....

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

We use Arctic Cooling MX-4 and it works perfect. Coolermaster will be fine too.

Advertisement