Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy-to-let - what ratios are banks giving?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭

I know everybodies circumstances are different but I am just looking for some rough estimates on the below please.

Can anybody give me a rough idea on what banks are offering at the moment?

We are both on similar salaries so is it 2 x first salary and 2 x second salary, or more, or less?

Is it upto 75% of the mortgage so whatever we have ourselves equates to 1/4 of what our budget will be?

Our existing property is approx. €160K value and 70k Loan.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Really depends on the lender- and they do appear to be changing their criteria with remarkable frequency.

BOI have no issue with 75% LTV ratios- subject to standard financial scrutiny of your affairs (its just the normal pack). No idea about other lenders- though things are not as competitive since Danske pulled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Really depends on the lender- and they do appear to be changing their criteria with remarkable frequency.

BOI have no issue with 75% LTV ratios- subject to standard financial scrutiny of your affairs (its just the normal pack). No idea about other lenders- though things are not as competitive since Danske pulled out.

Thanks for that, what do you mean by "its just the normal pack"?

I assume 4 times combined salary is within normal parameters, or would they do 5 times?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

elastico wrote: »
    Thanks for that, what do you mean by "its just the normal pack"?

I assume 4 times combined salary is within normal parameters, or would they do 5 times?

5 Times combined salary? Not a snowballs chance in hell.......
    4 + 1.5 or 2 is probably as high as they will go.
    It depends on a lot of factors though- not least- your current financial situation, where the proposed property is, what the assessor says, reasonable rental yield reduced by standard 2/12 etc etc

Go to a broker and get a few ideas from them- its quite specific to your personal circumstances- its difficult to give you a clear idea here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

5 Times combined salary? Not a snowballs chance in hell.......
    4 + 1.5 or 2 is probably as high as they will go.
    It depends on a lot of factors though- not least- your current financial situation, where the proposed property is, what the assessor says, reasonable rental yield reduced by standard 2/12 etc etc

Go to a broker and get a few ideas from them- its quite specific to your personal circumstances- its difficult to give you a clear idea here.

Thanks for that, when I said 5 times combined I meant 2.5 each, but to be honest I wouldn't be happy doing more than 2 x each salary, I was just wondering.

Thanks for your help I'll talk to the bank and see what they say, I just wanted an outline for now.

Advertisement