Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indian Super League

• 20-09-2014 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been keeping up with all new Indian Super League that is starting in a few weeks time ?.

There is even a irish lad signed to play over there called Colin Falvey who is going to be playing for Kerala Blasters.

Also loads of players have came out of retirement for it.

Is anyone on boards going to watch a few matches of it ?.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

A waste of time if you ask me. If they wanted to improve Indian football and get locals interested, they should have put this money into the I-League and not a 3 month tournament with made up teams. If they had put the money into the I-League, the league could have advanced in the Asian CL and AFC Cup competitions.

This competition does nothing for Indian football really. It might get more fans interested in foreign football but not Indian football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm sure there will be absolutely no match fixing in it, especially in games involving Michael Chopra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Oat23 wrote: »
    A waste of time if you ask me. If they wanted to improve Indian football and get locals interested, they should have put this money into the I-League and not a 3 month tournament with made up teams. If they had put the money into the I-League, the league could have advanced in the Asian CL and AFC Cup competitions.

This competition does nothing for Indian football really. It might get more fans interested in foreign football but not Indian football.

These super leagues are more useful than just pouring money into I-League. Recently Kabbadi pro league was started, it was for 2 months (I think), the level of impact it had was unbelievable. Every match was a sell out and so many started watching it on TV. If ISL can generate same interest then there will be investment for sure to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The pathologically stubborn quest for esoteric, soulful alternatives to Irish domestic football continues apace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    These super leagues are more useful than just pouring money into I-League. Recently Kabbadi pro league was started, it was for 2 months (I think), the level of impact it has was unbelievable. Every match was a sell out and so many started watching it on TV. If ISL can generate same interest then there will be investment for sure to the game.

Are Indian people really going to go from watching Ljungberg, Del Piero, Pires etc. from October to December and then be lured to watch the I-League right after, with foreign superstars like 2013 I-League joint-top scorer Darryl Duffy (ex Cheltenham Town player).

If they had put the money into the I-League and got these players to join established teams, Indian football would benefit a helluva lot more than it will from this tournament.

Indian Football is the key word. What is this 3 month tournament going to do for Indian football? The answer is very little if you ask me.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    Are Indian people really going to go from watching Ljungberg, Del Piero, Pires etc. from October to December and then be lured to watch the I-League right after, with foreign superstars like 2013 I-League joint-top scorer Darryl Duffy (ex Cheltenham Town player).

If they had put the money into the I-League and got these players to join established teams, Indian football would benefit a helluva lot more than it will from this tournament.

Indian Football is the key word. What is this 3 month tournament going to do for Indian football? The answer is very little if you ask me.

In the long term it might have a better impact? More people getting used to game means there is a chance they might turn up to stadiums. It's not going from watching superstars to noname player, it's about getting people to watch the games. Like I said no one gave **** about Kabbadi but once pro league was started the game was loved by many. So hopefully it will have similar impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Not really interested in Indian football but have a deep interest in Football from Bhutan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    ... Like I said no one gave **** about Kabbadi ...

Speak for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's mad for that a country of 1 Billion peopel they cant find 11 that can play ball. They've never bee to a world cup. With a massive British influence in their history and surely ex-pats all over the gaff, could they not do something?! China have been in the WC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

anncoates wrote: »
    The pathologically stubborn quest for esoteric, soulful alternatives to Irish domestic football continues apace.

You can support whoever you like. How do you know OP doesn't have dual interests in Indian and Irish football? It is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just seen an article on the BBC Sport website, cant see if any UK stations showing it, thought at least ITV4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I would imagine the FAI will be looking at this closely. If this is a success it could be the stepping stone of creating a franchise league in Ireland. I think the shortened league/knockout format is more suitable for countries that have weakened national leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I would imagine the FAI will be looking at this closely. If this is a success it could be the stepping stone of creating a franchise league in Ireland. I think the shortened league/knockout format is more suitable for countries that have weakened national leagues.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

Yeah I'll be following delhi dynamos fc very closely,i have a uncle who was once in delhi and so they have a massive irish connection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Good luck to them but no more interesting than the Chinese, Korean or Malaysian leagues for me.

Non event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'm really into Yotha FC of Laos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A joint venture could be a possibility,

Cowboys and Indians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

That kind of crap doesn't fly in Europe. Thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Just seen an article on the BBC Sport website, cant see if any UK stations showing it, thought at least ITV4.

Star Plus are showing it on the Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm looking through the team squads - its a rogues gallery!

Luis Garcia, Josemi, Capdevila, André Santos, Trézéguet, Adrian Mutu, Robbery Pirès, Del Piero, Jamie McAllister, Michael Chopra, Stephen Pearson

Good game so far between Chennai and Goa. Chennai are 2-0 up. Elano scored a free kick which should have been saved.

Pires diving in ISL too..

The Hero Indian Super League, inching closer to its halfway mark, has achieved the rare milestone of having registered the highest average stadium attendance for any football league in Asia.

At the completion of match 27 on November 9, the inaugural edition has had an average stadium attendance of 22,639, positioning ISL as the best attended league across Asia, ahead of competitions such as China's CSL, Japan's J-League and South Korea's K-League.

The attendance in stadia across the country has also made India score globally amongst the best football Leagues. ISL ranks the fifth highest football league in average attendance around the world, behind only Bundesliga, EPL, La Liga and Serie A, and ahead of the USA's popular MLS, French Ligue 1 and Mexico's Liga MX.

The average attendance ranks ISL as the 11th best attended Leagues across any sport around the world.

"We are delighted by the overwhelming response to the ISL's inaugural season. We have always believed in the potential of football, and the fans' support highlights the fact that football in the country needed the right platform.

"The popularity with which the ISL has been received only spurs us on towards realising the eventual dream of giving rise to a footballing nation. We take this opportunity to thank the people of India for extending such great support," an ISL spokesperson said.

The ISL is already the most watched non-cricketing sport in India with 275 million viewers tuning in over the first three weeks alone. The league has also dominated social media trends notching up over 5 billion impressions on Facebook and Twitter.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/football/indian-super-league/top-stories/Indian-Super-League-ranks-among-best-attended-football-league-in-world/articleshow/45123052.cms

Highest average attendance in ASIA and 5th highest in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

With the above article and their population around the 1billion mark, it's surely time for them to make a go of qualifying for the World Cup within a few tournaments. They've never been! I find that strange as they're a former British colony too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Omackeral wrote: »
    With the above article and their population around the 1billion mark, it's surely time for them to make a go of qualifying for the World Cup within a few tournaments. They've never been! I find that strange as they're a former British colony too.

Most British colonies took up rugby or cricket instead of football- look at Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or the West Indies. Football seems to have spread more to countries where Britain had trade links like Brazil and Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Most British colonies took up rugby or cricket instead of football- look at Australia, New Zealand, South Africa or the West Indies. Football seems to have spread more to countries where Britain had trade links like Brazil and Argentina.

Say Cricket and Rugby were brought to the colonies as those that settled there were the rich and those are rich mans sports. Football was the working class sport

Advertisement