Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berlin Half March 2015

• 20-09-2014 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Getting out for a few more runs of late, injury free and I have a little bit of spare time. So fingers crossed I can get into a nice rhythm and be a little more consistent. I've no time goals at the moment, it's more a case of enjoying the training.

Throughout the summer I've run a couple of 2 milers each week with my daughters and now that they're back in school I've been getting out more often and running 3/4/5 miles and a 6 miler yesterday which was fairly hilly and was regretting at halfway mark.

The goal as the title suggests is Berlin half marathon which I ran back in 2012 in 1'38 but was way off my initial target of 1'30. A couple of factors were at play here, calf injuries and my AWOL personality being the main culprits. But the course and city are fantastic and I can't wait to go back.

The log is to help with my poor consistency levels and to keep me honest. Feels good to be back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Monday - 4 miles at 8:53
    Tuesday - 2 miles at 7:49
    Wednesday - rest
    Thursday - 30 mins in the morn (easy) and about 3.5 miles in the evening (steady)

I only ran this morning as I was unsure if I'd be running in the evening but as it turned out I was. Had to chaperone a talented group of u14-16s. No idea what the pace was but the first mile was 6:55, way out of my comfort zone but not the kids, they were having a full on chat. I was kind of thankful that a couple of them fell of the back so I had to stick with them which made the run slightly more comfortable.

I now have another reason to get fitter.

Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5 early miles
    Sunday - 3 miles with plenty of 80m strides throughout

Felt like a runner again this week and it feels great.
    I've started doing a little thing after each run and that's to stop and take a minute to enjoy the feeling, never tried this before (and I know it might sound corny) but it's working.

Great day altogether.

I managed to pick up a garmin 220 in perfect condition for a right bargain. Kids got to meet and have a chat with Deirdre Ryan (High Jumper) and I kept up with the older kids for a little longer than last time.... well kind of

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

i see you have ran this before would ya recommend the berlin half is it expensive to enter and get too

i see you have ran this before would ya recommend the berlin half is it expensive to enter and get too

Absolutely recommend. Course is quick, great atmosphere, great city for a weekend break. Fairly sure I did it all for a decent price as well and their transport system is excellent so you don't need to be on the start/finish line.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Just spotted your new log. Good luck with getting back into it and in the build up to Berlin.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Just spotted your new log. Good luck with getting back into it and in the build up to Berlin.

Cheers Pistol

Nice run today with company, up to, around and back from marlay park

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

Absolutely recommend. Course is quick, great atmosphere, great city for a weekend break. Fairly sure I did it all for a decent price as well and their transport system is excellent so you don't need to be on the start/finish line.

thanks some savage straits there looks a fast one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

So the 800m plans are completely binned so?

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    So the 800m plans are completely binned so?

There's no real plan at all at the moment. It's still sth I really want to do but small steps.

This was more like it tonight.
    Nice and easy. Going to take tomorrow off as I'm golfing :D and try and get out early saturday for a long run

The plan was for 8 miles but the legs were very tired, I'm blaming the golf yesterday, so I decided 5 and a bit would be plenty. Lovely morning for it

Can't believe its been so long since my last update.
    Good news is, I have been running, bad news is I've only averaged maybe 3 runs a week and these have had no structure.
    Just been very busy with the kids xc season, my level 2 and a new business venture, most of which has now settled down, so structured training starts tomorrow.

Tonight was a nice 5 miler although I was very bloated after a couple of short biscuits topped with caramel.

A little about the coaching course, would highly recommend for any aspiring coaches, the knowledge given and enjoyment levels was second to none. AAI did a great job.
    We were lucky as a group to have had two Olympians (one of which is a NR holder), another guy who had an incredible range from 400m to 10 miles (46 secs to 48 min), another guy who has won national medals and knows a crap load about LT testing and altitude training and finally the most recent winner of the AAIs ultra runner of the year award and these guys werent even the lecturers, they were doing the course.
    This combined with some of AAIs best including tergat and Joe O Connor from Ireland's fittest family just made it a superb experience, when it comes available again, be sure to act fast and get your name down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Boards Tergat or Kenyan Tergat?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Boards Tergat or Kenyan Tergat?

boards

Plan for the week, Tue/Thurs is unpredictable as I'm at the club helping, sometimes this can be a 4 miler at 8 mpm or a 2 miler at 10mpm or sometimes no run at all.

Mon - 5 miles 155-160 BPM
    Tue -
    Wed - 5 miles 155-160
    Thu -
    Fri - 5 miles inc 4x5 mins at 175 (recovery between reps to be decided)
    Sat - off
    Sun -7 miles at 150

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

Who is the guy with the incredible range?

Who is the guy with the incredible range?

P J O Rourke

• Advertisement

Didn't really hit my targets.
    I did though manage 5 runs including my 7 Miler.
    I also got to play with my GoPro (turn to 720HD) Love it, can't wait to strap it to some of the kids for their drills and games.

Went out to Santry today to watch the juveniles, some serious talent on show.
    A few snaps

For this coming week I got to start being more clever.

5 mile easy
    Much better control regarding pacing this morning, need more of that.
    The run itself was perfect, nice bright moon to light my route and it was slightly warmer than last few days.
    My only issue is that my Achilles is now a little sore, maybe a 2 on a scale of 10 but never had this injury before, hopefully it's nothing.

Advertisement