Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Comprehensive pronunciation guide online?

• 20-09-2014 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

I'm aware that the Foclóir.ie website is in the process of putting a huge number (all?) pronunciations for the words in the Ó Dónaill and De Bhaldraithe dictionaries online. When it's finished it will be a truly superb resource.

Bunachar Foghraíochta

However, it's a long, long way from finished at present. Last night I was looking for Oireachtas, which is possibly one of the most mispronounced words in Irish, just to see the proper pronunciations. It wasn't there. I would also like to know is the "f" in faidh/fidh endings ever pronounced? If so, in which dialect? I'm most interested in Munster Irish so anything focused on Munster would be particularly welcome but any dialectical pronunciation would add to my knowledge.

Reading this informative post in an old thread makes me aware of how much I need such a pronunciation guide. I'm completely ignorant of the development of pronunciation and dropping of sounds from particular letters. I need a clear written guide with spoken examples rather than the article meaning being lost in an avalanche of "diphthongs" and the like.

Would anybody have any recommendations for such a guide? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

In Ulster and Connacht the emphasis is on the first three letters of oireachtas. In Munster it's the middle four letters. Media folk usually run with the Munster take on it.
    The -faidh/-fadh endings getting pronounced with the 'f' sound are not exclusive to Munster but when they are heard it is usually from there.

Advertisement