Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad/materials for college

Options
  • 20-09-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, im studying Biological and biomedical science in maynooth and im wondering could I use an ipad with word or would i be best to use my laptop? I would like to use an ipad because it would be easier to carry around as im commuting.

Also Im not sure what kind of copies I need for maths, would I use the ones with the squares or just a normal a4 copy? Would I use a folder for each subject or one of those dividers that fan open and have a different part for each subject or module?

Does anyone have any suggestions of what i would need, stationary wise for a science student?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

As regards the iPad, most people I know find typing on a laptop or handwriting much easier. The iPad would be grand for casual use (especially with regards commuting), but most people I know only use tablets for small note taking or viewing lecture slides. In a Bio-related lecture, you could be taking pages of notes if the lecturer doesn't have comprehensive slides.

As regards stationary, it's up to you. A4 hardbacks and refill pads tend to be the norm, but if you prefer squared (or even blank paper) then feel free to use that. An organised folder, or separate notebook for each module if you don't like loose sheets, is pretty necessary. The academic year is short, and the last thing you want is to spend a week looking for a missing set of lecture notes.

Also, make sure you have a functioning calculator. The normal ones used during secondary school are grand. You'll need it during Maths modules and in some labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SarahA95

Ok thanks for your reply, its very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If not now, at some stage you'll need a laptop. You'll die from repetitive strain injury if you try and type essay style assignments on an iPad.

iPad would be more useful if you want to follow lecture slides in lectures, but most people will just take notes on an A4 pad.

Advertisement