Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best option for a cheap car? New/Used/Cheap...? Help!

Options
  • 20-09-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Ok, so I could really use some advice here.
    I'm currently driving a cheapy '00 runabout Renault Clio. Cheap on fuel, cheap on tax, cheap enough to keep on the road...
    However, it's been letting me down of late, so I'm thinking what should I do next.

Does it pay off to buy a new car with 0% finance? Renault are offering that right now on the C1... road tax would be next to nothing, and am I correct in saying there's no NCT on such a car?
    But surely that means I'm stuck with paying monthly payments on a car that will mean I've lost €€€ in a few years when I sell it..?

OR - do I buy a small car say circa 2004-2007, and go that route?

Basically I want something that will be economical, reliable and not cost me a fortune every year.

Thanks! :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057197301

There is always something interesting in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 zzaaaaaaaaaap

Agreed - but I really was looking for advice on buying new over used, rather than a list of cars for sale....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Agreed - but I really was looking for advice on buying new over used, rather than a list of cars for sale....?

I find a list is always a good start. ;)
    As for your options, well there is quite a gulf between wanting to buy a brand new car or a 10 year old banger with intergalactic mileage.
    I once considered a new car, till I calculated how much it cost, how much I would actually pay back (shocking!) how long I'd be a slave to the banks for and so forth.
    My attitude is, if I can't own a car outright, I don't want to know.
    Of course, owning bangers has its own challenges, but in many years of owning older cars nothing has seriously gone wrong on me.
    It's all a question of money and convenience in the end, if you want a new car and that is worth a few thousand a year in depreciation and interest to you, why not, if your income can take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

You'd get a 2006-2007 or so Clio for about 3500-4000.

It's a wayyyyyyyyyyyy better car then your current car.

Advertisement