Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Dorset street?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I have been offered a house to rent, located just off Dorset Street The actual address is North Circular Road, but the main street for amenities and on route to town is Dorset street, and it's a 3 minute walk from the house. I know that the north inner city isn't a utopia of safety, and that most area's near the city are a little bit rough. I read the news this morning however, and a Dublin GAA footballer was stabbed in Dorset street in the early hours of this morning.

Yes I have read a news story before about a man being stabbed in Grafton street, so I know that there will always be scumbags in any part of the city/inner city. But how bad is Dorset street in the general scheme of things?

I know there are some places with a really bad reputation - Ballybough, Summerhill spring to mind as being places which most people agree are no go areas.

The landlord needs me to let him know by Monday if I'm taking it or not. Is it just a case of not walking home by my own at night and not 'hanging' around needlessly? Or should I search for a different place? On that note though, I'm trying to find somewhere within walking distance to the city. (I work on the northside).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

Yep it aint the prettiest that's for sure. But I think the fact that it's so busy all the time makes it feel more secure for me. I have lived in the area for years and never had any problems. It's so close to town and served well by public transport I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭DynamiteC101

Yep it aint the prettiest that's for sure. But I think the fact that it's so busy all the time makes it feel more secure for me. I have lived in the area for years and never had any problems. It's so close to town and served well by public transport I'd recommend it.

Agree, location wise it is perfect. Have walked through it a few times in the past week, as you say it's definitely not the 'prettiest'.

How do you think it compares to Gardiner street or Parnell square?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Agree, location wise it is perfect. Have walked through it a few times in the past week, as you say it's definitely not the 'prettiest'.

How do you think it compares to Gardiner street or Parnell square?

I lived on the North Circular (Dorset Street end) for years and had no problems, great location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I know there are some places with a really bad reputation - Ballybough, Summerhill spring to mind as being places which most people agree are no go areas.

Most people ? As in most people who have never been there you mean ? Or maybe those who just pass through on the way to Croker for a GAA match. As someone who has been living in the general area for over 10 years, its really irritating to hear them being called no go areas. What the area does need is more worldly people. Lets leave the sheltered, gossipy half wits with urbanization issues to the suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

I live just off the north circular - a 2 minute walk to Dorset street. Ive never had any bother and walk around in the evening without any trouble. Its a handy spot, walkable to town, lots of Dublin Bike stands, pubs, shops etc

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »
    Most people ? As in most people who have never been there you mean ? Or maybe those who just pass through on the way to Croker for a GAA match. As someone who has been living in the general area for over 10 years, its really irritating to hear them being called no go areas. What the area does need is more worldly people. Lets leave the sheltered, gossipy half wits with urbanization issues to the suburbs.

Sorry if my comment offended you. I've been house-hunting in Dublin for the last month and a half, and I was told to avoid Ballybough and Summerhill. ''No-go areas'' was the wrong terminology to use though, and I apologise for that.

snowey07 wrote: »
    I live just off the north circular - a 2 minute walk to Dorset street. Ive never had any bother and walk around in the evening without any trouble. Its a handy spot, walkable to town, lots of Dublin Bike stands, pubs, shops etc

Well the truth is, I'm already living in the house, lol! I didn't want to say I had already taken the house, just in case people tried to ease my worries and say ''you'll be grand'' etc. Apologies for my duplicity!

I moved in on Wednesday, and I have walked around the area a few times. It seems a bit edgy, but I'm sure I'll be grand! It's not very comforting though when you hear that a person has been stabbed there in your first weekend living beside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Walk past there to work nearly every day and have never had any hassle. Depending on where I'm coming from on a night out, will walk through there and, again, never any hassle. If you have your wits about you, you should be fine (bar an incredibly unlucky incident).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I used to have occation (for work) to be here at 3/4 in the morning. It's like many areas in inner city Dublin, rough as a badgers arse but very little in the way of real danger if you've your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I live on Dorset Street and I've never had any trouble around there and I certainly wouldn't fell any more sketchy than I would going down O'Connell Street. Even after nights out you'd get no grief at all as there is barely a sinner to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Never had any trouble on Dorset street, though as always keep your wits about you if you're alone at night.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Just moved from Lower Dorset Street having lived there for 2 years. One word of advice I'll give you - Avoid the street while matches or other events are on in Croke Park. Either stay indoors or head out for the day.

It's generally ok around there although quite dirty (literally) in places. Watch out for the Roma gypsies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I've lived there/around the area (as in around the corner) since i was born.
    It's completely fine, mostly.
    Here are the problems: you're going to see drug dealing, stoned/drunk people and groups of loud kids. As in, see them. Not be bothered by them.

Other than having to deal with seeing the above and hearing the kids and how loud a main road is, I wouldn't see a problem. I've walked from one end to the other plenty of times at all hours morning or night and be fine.

All I'd say is because it will make you uncomfortable I think is to avoid walking through blocks of flats or lanes until you're used to the area.

Oh yeah, I forgot: when there are matches (or other major events that'll have the pubs stacked or things like leaving cert results night) stay inside. Get your shopping done early and just don't bother going outside. It's not that you'll be guaranteed trouble it's just, those nights usually will have some sort of trouble like fights. Not that you'd be stabbed or anything but you can understand my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Croke Park matches don't generally lead to hassle, other than congestion, but Bohs-Rovers matches are a different matter. The last (cancelled at 11th hour admittedly - so additional aggro there) fixture was the same night as my windscreen was smashed - probably no coincidence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Parts of it are hairy...dont chain a bicycle anywhere on dorset street unless you want to lose it and that post office in the middle of dorset st is a meeting point for the scum of the earth..avoid it at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

chopper6 wrote: »
    Parts of it are hairy...dont chain a bicycle anywhere on dorset street unless you want to lose it and that post office in the middle of dorset st is a meeting point for the scum of the earth..avoid it at all costs.

You've just described pretty much anywhere in Dublin city there though to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Parts of it are hairy...dont chain a bicycle anywhere on dorset street unless you want to lose it

You cant chain a bike anywhere in public in Dublin unless you want it stolen, to be fair.

Never lived there but a friend did. When I first starting visiting I felt nervous because the area looked dingy enough. But I actually got well used to it and realised you would be very unlucky to encounter any issues

Define "scum of the Earth" for me please. I'd love to hear what sort of scum of the Earth you see there.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

*searches frantically for popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ror_74 wrote: »
    Lets leave the sheltered, gossipy half wits with urbanization issues to the suburbs.

To be fair, there's nothing more 'suburban' than fetishizing the inner city and abusing people for daring to suggest it might have social issues.

OP: Dorset Street is a good convenient location for town but like any city in any country, you need t keep your wits about you. I lived close enough to there for a few years and it was fine.

anncoates wrote: »
    To be fair, there's nothing more 'suburban' than fetishizing the inner city and abusing people for daring to suggest it might have social issues.

To be fairer - neither Ballybough or Summerhill, for all their social problems (which nobody is disputing) are 'no-go areas'. The OP admitted it was probably the wrong term to use. And there are some frankly hilariously unfounded fears of areas that are simply dumpy looking inner city /working class areas at play.

alastair wrote: »
    And there are some frankly hilariously unfounded fears of areas that are simply dumpy looking inner city /working class areas at play.

No go area is a bit exaggerated but the area has more social issues than an equivalent middle class areas.

I grew in the former so it wouldn't bother me but some people are worried by visible street life in working class areas especially if they're not from that kind of place and are just looking for honest advice so as such, it's no use ridiculing them. Especially not going to the point of insulting them from some supposed streetwise perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jpc1

some mad scobes walking around all times of the day, just go look outside the dublin supporters bar

No go area is a bit exaggerated but the area has more social issues than an equivalent middle class areas.
    It's more than a 'bit exaggerated' - it's at odds with the reality of the areas.
    I grew in the former so it wouldn't bother me but some people are worried by visible street life in working class areas especially if they're not from that kind of place
    Sure - but that's not anything like a 'no go' scenario.
    and are just looking for honest advice so as such, it's no use ridiculing them. Especially not going to the point of insulting them from some supposed streetwise perspective.
    Is the honest reading of the ridicule of the notion that Ballybough and Summerhill are 'no go' areas, that some form of 'fetishizing' of the inner city is at play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Define "scum of the Earth" for me please. I'd love to hear what sort of scum of the Earth you see there.

Professional dole scroungers,ex prisoners,drug dealers,theives,lunatics and drug addicts.

Often all in one.

alastair wrote: »
    Is the honest reading of the ridicule of the notion that Ballybough and Summerhill are 'no go' areas, that some form of 'fetishizing' of the inner city is at play?

Calling people 'half wits from the suburbs' in response to an inaccurate but relatively harmless opinion would suggest so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

I've walked here for three years coming from drumcondra to mountjoy for college. It's fairly safe for a young asian woman so I'd say it's not that bad. Never had problems, even anything close to a dodgy encounter.

Calling people 'half wits from the suburbs' in response to an inaccurate but relatively harmless opinion would suggest so, yes.

Don't see it myself. I'd go as far as to say you're as guilty of hyperbole, as the poster you're criticising.

• Advertisement

Professional dole scroungers,ex prisoners,drug dealers,theives,lunatics and drug addicts.

Often all in one.

And tell me, why have I never encountered them? I go there quite often.

Advertisement