Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Dorset street?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

alastair wrote: »
    Don't see it myself. I'd go as far as to say you're as guilty of hyperbole, as the poster you're criticising.

Ironically, a lot of the time, it's actually suburban blow-ins (students and professionals) to those areas that are the most vicious in their criticism of other suburbanites adjudged to be not as street as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

anncoates wrote: »
    Ironically, a lot of the time, it's actually suburban blow-ins (students and professionals) to those areas that are the most vicious in their criticism of other suburbanites adjudged to be not as street as they are.

The poster you directed the comment at has apparently lived in the area 15 years. And importantly, they were responding to an outright mischaracterisation of the areas. But that's supposed to be 'fetishizing' by a 'blow-in'? Okay.

The poster you directed the comment at has apparently lived in the area 15 years. And importantly, they were responding to an outright mischaracterisation of the areas. But that's supposed to be 'fetishizing' by a 'blow-in'? Okay.

Didn't say they weren't from the area. Don't particularly care. It's possible to counter negative perceptions about the area in a positive way though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Live in Drumcondra and have often walked up and down it. For the most part its ok but was attacked along with a friend on a Sunday night walking back from O'Connell St 18 months ago. I'd recommend using public transport or a taxi if your have to go from one end to the other at night.

Didn't say they weren't from the area.
    Other than claiming they held 'suburban' attitudes?
    Don't particularly care. It's possible to counter negative perceptions about the area in a positive way though.
    Sure it is. It's also possible to dispute ridiculous notions about areas without, being guilty of, eh, "fetishizing the inner city".

• Advertisement

Sure it is. It's also possible to dispute ridiculous notions about areas without, being guilty of, eh, "fetishizing the inner city".

Yet it's OK to call people gossipy suburban half-wits for a relatively innocent comment?

Live by the sword...

Yet it's OK to call people gossipy suburban half-wits for a relatively innocent comment?

Live by the sword...

Sounds like you're agreed that you're both guilty of hyperbole then.

Sounds like you're agreed that you're both guilty of hyperbole then.

If this kind of pedantic circuity is so important to you then let's just say we are .

If this kind of pedantic circuity is so important to you then let's just say we are .

I'm just a bit hung up on honesty - sorry if that's too pedantic for you.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cut out the bickering guys, it's dragging the thread off topic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

And tell me, why have I never encountered them? I go there quite often.

They're queing there and congregating there every morning or at least every morning that dole is being paid out.

I'll take a pic of them next time i'm passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Takeaways being open at 5am is the problem here , not the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

chopper6 wrote: »
    They're queing there and congregating there every morning or at least every morning that dole is being paid out.

I'll take a pic of them next time i'm passing.

Dole is handed out every day, BTW. Except Sundays since it's not opened there.
    So you've asked every person there their business and found out everyone you asked is some sort of scum of the Earth is it?

Or are you completely exaggerating there and it's just a group of people that you don't like the look of?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

These threads always turn into"I lived in said rough area and never had a bother therefore it's 100% safe for everyone"

I worked in the mater, the fact is Dorset street and surrounding areas have serious social issues, including drugs, violence, alcohol abuse and organised crime. For the average person it's safe enough with common sense being used ,but I wouldn't let my mother walk down the street after about 6pm. The walk from town can be bad too.

You'll definitely see a lot of trouble up there. The gardai are whizzng around a lot and there's junkies hanging around.

what part exactly is it? What's the closet shop/pub

Dole is handed out every day, BTW. Except Sundays since it's not opened there.
    So you've asked every person there their business and found out everyone you asked is some sort of scum of the Earth is it?

Or are you completely exaggerating there and it's just a group of people that you don't like the look of?

I've heard various of them discussing "thier business" including two who were discussing a near fatal assualt on a security guard in the Square and i assure you they are not nice people.

I've heard various of them discussing "thier business" including two who were discussing a near fatal assualt on a security guard in the Square and i assure you they are not nice people.

So? That's two of them. I've seen people dealing drugs in some of the areas around there, that doesn't mean every person that passes by that area is scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

So? That's two of them. I've seen people dealing drugs in some of the areas around there, that doesn't mean every person that passes by that area is scum.

What if they are wearing sportswear though? Or talking in uncouth accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

drumswan wrote: »
    What if they are wearing sportswear though? Or talking in uncouth accents?

I snapped two lads outside the Post Office on Dorset earlier. You were right about the sportswear. Too afraid to get closer to hear them speak

uk-fit1.jpg

I didnt say they were..i said scum congregate outside and inside that post office.

And for the record there's plenty of undesirables the length and breadth of dorset st,it would not be one of my favourite places and that includes the canal banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I live about 200 feet from Dorset Street, and unless you just love the smell of weed, gypsy beggars, people shouting, beer cans everywhere, a lot of noise from traffic from 7.30am-9am, and from 3pm-7.30pm, the sirens of Gardaí cars and ambulances every 5 minutes....
    you'll just love it!!
    after a while, you'll just get used to seeing and hearing everything, nothing surprises or stuns you anymore... as I say - "that's town for you!!"

Not trying to put you off. But that's what its really like.
    :)

• Advertisement

You're right, sorry.

However, the point still stands: the post office isn't more dangerous than any other post office. The street isn't dangerous compared to other streets around the city for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

You're right, sorry.

However, the point still stands: the post office isn't more dangerous than any other post office. The street isn't dangerous compared to other streets around the city for the most part.

That stretch of Dorset street is actually dangerous in the morning,nevermind at night.

It's really a pretty bogey street all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

That stretch of Dorset street is actually dangerous in the morning,nevermind at night

It's not dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

I've been living there for nearly a year and I don't like it... people dump rubbish on the street and it's eaten up and torn apart by seagulls, it's not a "fun" place eg. it hasn't got many nice restaurants/cafés/shops. There's a lot of druggies.

There are a few funny characters though.. there's this druggy who always wears a high-vis vest and has a clipboard and always stands around when there's a match on. No idea what he's doing.

It's really really convenient for getting into town.. that sums it up for me!

That stretch of Dorset street is actually dangerous in the morning,nevermind at night.

It's really a pretty bogey street all things considered.

It really, really isn't. It's one of the busier streets. One of the main areas to get buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who do we ultimately blame for letting the city center descend to the level it has gone and continues to go?

It's far from just Dorset street.

The authorities don't seem to care.

No gardaí. 20 methadone clinics within walking distance of O'Connell st with associated junkies and dealers. Rubbish. Beggars. Drunks. A menacing atmosphere with buildings deteriorating everywhere. Grafitti. Vandalism. Feral youth.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is not acceptable for the center of the capital city of this country and that we should be demanding better?

I blame DCC and the gardaí.

TBH they don't give a sh!t and the result is there for all to see.

Who do we ultimately blame for letting the city center descend to the level it has gone and continues to go?

It's far from just Dorset street.

The authorities don't seem to care.

No gardaí. 20 methadone clinics within walking distance of O'Connell st with associated junkies and dealers. Rubbish. Beggars. Drunks. A menacing atmosphere with buildings deteriorating everywhere. Grafitti. Vandalism. Feral youth.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is not acceptable for the center of the capital city of this country and that we should be demanding better?

I blame DCC and the gardaí.

TBH they don't give a sh!t and the result is there for all to see.

You've mentioned these concerns before - but some of them don't really stand up to critique. There is a Garda presence in the city centre, and their response times are generally okay. There isn't a significant problem with deteriorating buildings. There's far less graffiti than many other European cities. The menacing atmosphere is subjective, but it's not something I'd feel most of the time.

The inner city has a rubbish/fly-tipping problem for sure, and yes there's visibility of junkies and drunks, but you haven't suggested what's to be done with the junkies and drunks - they're citizens too, and once they don't hassle anyone, I have to say they're as entitled to public spaces as the next man/woman. Beggars? Never known a Dublin without beggars - never been that much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You've mentioned these concerns before - but some of them don't really stand up to critique. There is a Garda presence in the city centre, and their response times are generally okay. There isn't a significant problem with deteriorating buildings. There's far less graffiti than many other European cities. The menacing atmosphere is subjective, but it's not something I'd feel most of the time.

The inner city has a rubbish/fly-tipping problem for sure, and yes there's visibility of junkies and drunks, but you haven't suggested what's to be done with the junkies and drunks - they're citizens too, and once they don't hassle anyone, I have to say they're as entitled to public spaces as the next man/woman.

The meth clinics have to go. The drunks i'm not sure but maybe planning regulations restricting the number of pubs and clubs in the city center as well as tightening licensing laws for supermarkets in the city center is the way to go there.

But I firmly think the methadone clinics have to be taken out of that area. It's only going to get worse the longer they remain.

By having so many clinics in a relatively small area you are inviting the problem from every corner in to the center. That is not good and is a serious oversight in planning.

The clinics don't only get the junkies in but also dealers and because the tone is then dragged down to that level it attracts common scumbags in like flys on sh!t.

And it affects transport too. The red line is the zombie train and happens to go straight past the children's court for good measure.

The place annoys me with the amount of ill thought out decision making and lack of general cop on that has led to these problems.

As for the gardaí - they are not up to it. Simple as. They too are victims of the daft planning that facilitated this in the first place. Big reform needed and maybe a separate well equipped force specifically for Dublin like they do in other countries.

All of Dublin's social problems are, by design and stupid planning, being centralised for all to see and witness.

• Advertisement

I somehow imagine you're not in favour of moving a methadone clinic to your neighbourhood all the same?

Advertisement