Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Dorset street?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's a completely fine area, pass through there for years and live nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

alastair wrote: »
    I somehow imagine you're not in favour of moving a methadone clinic to your neighbourhood all the same?

They must be taken out of the city center or we are going no where. It's as simple as that. There are not many junkies in my area so I can't imagine we would need a big one anyway but they should be in the neighborhoods with the biggest problems. If that means one in my area I couldn't care less. It would not be centralised with every junkie going to it as is the case in the city center atm.

Also there is the argument they should be shut completely with people rightly asking how so many can be on methadone for 10 + years. It's obviously failed so maybe it is time to stop wasting money and shut them down.

Make no mistake this is costing this city it's reputation and potential investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Make no mistake this is costing this city it's reputation and potential investment.
    No it isnt.

It must be terrible to go around afraid all the time.

drumswan wrote: »
    No it isnt.

Yes it is.

The city center is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No it isnt.

It must be terrible to go around afraid all the time.

Where did you get the idea he's afraid?

• Advertisement

Yes it is.

The city center is an absolute disgrace and embarrassment.

Dublin visitor numbers are growing year on year.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublins-hotels-return-to-boomtime-as-visitor-numbers-recover-30539161.html

Foreign direct investment is growing year on year, creating 15000 jobs last year.

http://www.dubchamber.ie/policy/economic-profile-of-dublin

Its simply a lie to say whatever it is makes you afraid of your own shadow is "costing this city it's reputation and potential investment". Unless you can show otherwise, instead of posting your usual hysterical, embarrassing nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Aside from the issue surrounding matches, the street is about the same as any other in Dublin city center. Let's face it, junkies are all over the city center.... even south of the river. *gasp* :eek: :rolleyes:

Like most parts of the city center, it has Roma gypsies begging and walking around. Quite a few live around the Nth. Circular Rd./Dorset St. Lwr. junction. One attempted to steal my wife's phone on the street one time. However, if you've any sense you'll know how to handle them, and that can happen on any other street.

The area is noisy. It's a main route into the city with traffic all hours of the day. In the local area you also have a Garda station, two hospitals, and a prison. As mentioned, you get used to the noise after a while. My apartment faced away from the street so it wasn't too bad.

The street can be quite dirty in several areas. Some parts of the footpath are cleaned by private cleaning companies, but in general it could do with a good scrub sometimes.

Looking at the positives,there are good local amenities. It has a good range of shops for groceries, pharmacies, bike shops, takeaways (galore!), off-licenses, pubs, some nice cafes (Bleaker St!!!), hospitals, churches (nearby), good bus services, and Dublin Bike stands in the area.

Nobody is saying Dorset St is the most desirable part of the city to live in. It is not dangerous and the 'city centre' is not a 'disgrace and an embarrassment' - there are a handful of spots which should be policed better and which are easily avoided - like in any city.

I walked from Portobello to Dame St earlier via the green, we live in an amazing, vibrant, friendly, buzzing city. The sad sacks who spend their lives on here moaning and whingeing and whining about everything are pathetic. Its hard enough to get accommodation here because everyone wants to be here, how annoying that these twats are taking up precious space. We should buy them all tickets to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Don't just love it when you wade into a thread and tell everyone its grand (which it is and I did) only to read in the paper about someone being stabbed multiple times.

Get well soon fella, not a Dub supporter myself but I hope he back playing in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Of all the main drags in the city centre, IMO Dorset St. has to be the worst. Very run down. Other streets have a bit of edge to them (e.g. Capel St., Thomas St., Aungier St.), but far more going for them generally.

It's probably somewhat better the closer you get to the canal end, but it's marginal. One way to judge it is the standard of cafes, pubs and restaurants. Not great. There's a decent craft beer pub, but it's empty half the time. I'd like to say something positive ( there are in ways some decent streets off it like Gardiner St., Temple St., Inisfallen Parade and Belvedere Road, and the NCR should be credited with some potential), but there's no getting away from the overbearing lowlife street vibe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Nobody is saying Dorset St is the most desirable part of the city to live in. It is not dangerous and the 'city centre' is not a 'disgrace and an embarrassment' - there are a handful of spots which should be policed better and which are easily avoided - like in any city.

I walked from Portobello to Dame St earlier via the green, we live in an amazing, vibrant, friendly, buzzing city. The sad sacks who spend their lives on here moaning and whingeing and whining about everything are pathetic. Its hard enough to get accommodation here because everyone wants to be here, how annoying that these twats are taking up precious space. We should buy them all tickets to Cork.

Hmm you seem to be implying that people who have issues with Dublin or who hold different opinions on Dublin to yourself are sad sacks and moaning ninnies with chips on their shoulders.All cities have their nice aspects and not so nice aspects to them but a Dublin footballer was stabbed 7 times on Dorsett Street in an unprovoked attack so i think people are entitled to air their opinions on the supposed safety or otherwise of the area.Of course people need to be in Dublin when all the jobs are there while the rest of the country is left to rot and what has Cork or anywhere else in Ireland got to do with a discussion about a street in Dublin on the Dublin city forum?Unless you are a sad sack yourself with an inferiority complex then i don't see the point of that remark.;)

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There are a few young ladies that will be very friendly for the right price. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Also there is the argument they should be shut completely with people rightly asking how so many can be on methadone for 10 + years. It's obviously failed so maybe it is time to stop wasting money and shut them down.

Right so. Here's the deal. We shut down methadone provision for city's junkies, but they all then get to hang around your gaff, to better witness how addiction, with only the recourse to illegal (and costly) drugs, impacts on criminal activity.

Sound okay?

Right so. Here's the deal. We shut down methadone provision for city's junkies, but they all then get to hang around your gaff, to better witness how addiction, with only the recourse to illegal (and costly) drugs, impacts on criminal activity.

Sound okay?

Not a great argument. They won't be hanging around my gaff.

The clinics should be closed completely because it has not worked, is not working and will never work. The money could be put in to policing.

But keep your head firmly in the sand if you like. This is partly why the country is the way it is because people don't want to make decisions. And that is why people are leaving the country in their droves because it will never change. Always the backward, small minded, parochial, inferior little country it has always been.

The solution, according to your good self, is therefore to leave things as they are. Sure t'is grand.

The capital reflects that. No one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

It isn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I walked from Portobello to Dame St earlier via the green

These locations are a far cry from Dorset St. You may as well say you took a stroll through Donnybrook today and it was grand, therefore you don't understand why people avoid places like Darndale.

Hmm you seem to be implying that people who have issues with Dublin or who hold different opinions on Dublin to yourself are sad sacks and moaning ninnies with chips on their shoulders.
    But they are. The usual saddos are all showing up in this thread on cue.

What kind of a pathetic loser spends their lives living somewhere they hate? If the self pitying, self loathing losers with victim complexes on here werent such a bunch of cowards they could take charge of their lives and go live somewhere else. (Of course they'd **** themselves if they had to live somewhere with an actual high crime rate instead of one which only exists in their imagination)

But will they? Will they ****, they'll project all their negativity onto everything and everyone around them. Whinge and whine and moan on the internet, like it empowers them or something.

Nothing is their fault, its some guy who wears a tracksuits fault. Why? Not really sure, but it definitely is.

Maybe all the junkies around Dorset St are ex-boards posters who lost the plot

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭terryhobdell

TeamJesus wrote: »
    I've been living there for nearly a year and I don't like it... people dump rubbish on the street and it's eaten up and torn apart by seagulls, it's not a "fun" place eg. it hasn't got many nice restaurants/cafés/shops. There's a lot of druggies.

There are a few funny characters though.. there's this druggy who always wears a high-vis vest and has a clipboard and always stands around when there's a match on. No idea what he's doing.

It's really really convenient for getting into town.. that sums it up for me!
    Its cheap though isn't it?

Or maybe they have higher standards for their own city than you do.

• Advertisement

Not a great argument. They won't be hanging around my gaff.

A. Why not?
    B. That seems to be your primary concern - to brush the problem under a mat somewhere. Closing clinics doesn't remove a single junkie from society. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TeamJesus

Its cheap though isn't it?

If you think 1200 - 1300 for a two bed is cheap

Or maybe they have higher standards for their own city than you do.

Or maybe they just make up fatuous problems and don't actually have much of an insight as to what the city is actually like. You certainly are guilty of living in fear of an awful lot of bogiemen. And you seem impervious to the fact that the city is actually doing very well thank you with tourism, inward investment, urban renewal, and a demand to live in the place outpacing provision of accommodation. It's far, far, from perfect, but it's also far, far, from your fantasy construct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I wouldn't live around there. I'd be of an anxious disposition in some ways and easily scared though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Of course people need to be in Dublin when all the jobs are there while the rest of the country is left to rot and what has Cork or anywhere else in Ireland got to do with a discussion about a street in Dublin on the Dublin city forum?Unless you are a sad sack yourself with an inferiority complex then i don't see the point of that remark.;)

Cork is a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Lived there over 12 years

during the day, plenty of students, nurses, hospital workers and other workers. Equally as many gypsies, homeless beggers, junkies and just care in the community type people

Dorset street is not rough or dangerous during the day, it is just untidy and wide range of people from all walks of lives

Ive seen off licences/bookies being robbed regularly, drug dealing, fights, screaming, people ****ting, sick you name it, happens on Dorset regularly enough

Personally, I have had very little or no trouble but its just a street that you need your eyes open. Ive never felt unsafe ever during the day as so many people present as well as guards etc. I felt depressed and surprised at what I do see though

Night time, generally safe but if anything untoward happened -would not surprise me either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

chopper6 wrote: »
    Cork is a dump.
    What a silly, pointless post.

Anyhoo, I wouldn't live in Dorset Street as I think it's pretty grim and dreary. It's overall not that dodge, but it is a bit. Drumcondra and Phibsborough are lovely though IMO. Lived around there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Don't see it myself. I'd go as far as to say you're as guilty of hyperbole, as the poster you're criticising.
    You don't see it yourself in the sneering post in question? Strangely, someone on the O'Connell Street thread (I'd be someone who doesn't view it as that bad, unlike others) there was a poster who has lived all their life in Summerhill and was sneering at people who reckon O'c street is ok.

People's perspectives are people's perspectives. I know most people in Ballybough are just normal people minding their own business but I wouldn't live there, because all it takes is a minority of lowlives.

You don't see it yourself in the sneering post in question? Strangely, someone on the O'Connell Street thread (I'd be someone who doesn't view it as that bad, unlike others) there was a poster who has lived all their life in Summerhill and was sneering at people who reckon O'c street is ok.

People's perspectives are people's perspectives. I know most people in Ballybough are just normal people minding their own business but I wouldn't live there, because all it takes is a minority of lowlives.

So, you agree that Ballybough is a 'no-go' area? Because that's the claim that is at the centre of this. People's perspectives can be entirely misguided.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Untidy looking and full of noisy traffic definitely,but to call it unsafe or a no go area is ridiculous hyperbole,same as calling anywhere else that in Dublin.

Always found Dorset St to be similar to James Street, in that it doesn't look great,is always quite busy with traffic and sirens going to the hospital, and is frequented by dodgy (or sad to those used to seeing them) looking characters.

Advertisement