Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How bad is Dorset street?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Think they just meant it's an area they wouldn't be keen on living in and that a number of people agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

alastair wrote: »
    Or maybe they just make up fatuous problems and don't actually have much of an insight as to what the city is actually like. You certainly are guilty of living in fear of an awful lot of bogiemen. And you seem impervious to the fact that the city is actually doing very well thank you with tourism, inward investment, urban renewal, and a demand to live in the place outpacing provision of accommodation. It's far, far, from perfect, but it's also far, far, from your fantasy construct.

You are deluded and have clearly grown immune to the trouble in the city center. My advice - get yourself to other capital cities ASAP and see for yourself how Dublin measures up.

You are typical of the "it's grand" mentality that has the city center the way it is.

It is not grand, it is not ok. You need to get that in to your head and grow a set of eyeballs in the process which you clearly lack.

The city center is a junkie, scum, drunk infested embarrassment and there is no more to say about it.

You also say I want to sweep problems under the carpet

Well why do other capital cities do just that? Why do you think that might be? Could it possibly be that they don't want visitors and investors exposed to the type of stuff that is in their face in Dublin?

The city center is disgusting and reflects Irish people, their lack of civic pride and their overall fecklessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

You are deluded and have clearly grown immune to the trouble in the city center. My advice - get yourself to other capital cities ASAP and see for yourself how Dublin measures up.
    It measures up fine and is consistently voted a top European city to visit and invest in.

People from wider Europe and the US understand that there will be some unsavoury characters in a city. This is normal - and in fact there are far fewer than in other cities - go for a walk around Brixton some time. They are not terrified of skinny, weak people who wear tracksuits like you apparently are, which is frankly weird for a grown man.

People who travel here come from other cities, they are not wide eyed innocents who need to be wrapped in cotton wool like you do. They take appropriate precautions and get on with enjoying what our amazing city has to offer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/rough-guide-readers-rate-dublin-as-second-friendliest-city-1.1935089

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-among-best-rated-european-destinations-627258.html

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-among-best-rated-european-destinations-627258.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/transport-and-tourism/dublin-named-fifth-friendliest-city-in-the-world-1.1891506

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dublin-ranks-in-top-10-of-european-cities-favoured-by-foreign-investors-26829673.html

But I guess you will just ignore all these like you did when I showed you visitor numbers and investment in the city were growing, not shrinking like you claimed. Dont like reality? Just make up your own. Whats sad is when that reality is based on fear and paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Think they just meant it's an area they wouldn't be keen on living in and that a number of people agreed.

You're not allowed to say that though because a load of student types will be on your case for being a dull reactionary that isn't 'street'.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

There are definitely nicer areas to live in the city. Places you will feel safer.

But is it inherently dangerous- no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

anncoates wrote: »
    You're not allowed to say that though because a load of student types will be on your case for being a dull reactionary that isn't 'street'.

Eh no. You're entirely allowed to say that those areas are 'no-go', just as long as you're prepared to be called on the nonsense of that claim.

They're not 'no-go' areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

You are typical of the "it's grand" mentality that has the city center the way it is.

It is not grand, it is not ok. You need to get that in to your head and grow a set of eyeballs in the process which you clearly lack.

The city center is a junkie, scum, drunk infested embarrassment and there is no more to say about it.

You also say I want to sweep problems under the carpet

Well why do other capital cities do just that? Why do you think that might be? Could it possibly be that they don't want visitors and investors exposed to the type of stuff that is in their face in Dublin?

The city center is disgusting and reflects Irish people, their lack of civic pride and their overall fecklessness.
    I'm afraid there's a lot of truth in this. Cities everywhere have their problems, and some are worse than Dublin. And many people work hard to make the city a better place. But on balance Dublin has excessive anti-social problems in significant tracts of the city centre. Some call it edge, others call it low standards. I tend towards the latter.

drumswan wrote: »
    This is normal - and in fact there are far fewer than in other cities - go for a walk around Brixton some time.

Leaving aside your other nonsense who the hell goes to London and as a first thought says "We should visit Brixton"?

We are talking about the center of Dublin - it's business center and it's tourist center not some off shoot dodgy suburb. Visitors, whether overseas or from down the country, are exposed to the worst of the city as soon as they hit our main street.

Are there junkies, toerags and drunks milling around outside Westminster, Buckingham Palace or Canary Wharf?

Bloody well sure there isn't. In London the police presence is real and visible. They have no tolerance of the nonsense that goes on in our city in important locations. And they don't put a battery of methadone clinics in those areas either.

Yet here it is deemed acceptable.

It is NOT acceptable.

Eh no. You're entirely allowed to say that those areas are 'no-go', just as long as you're prepared to be called on the nonsense of that claim.

They're not 'no-go' areas.
    It seems like you're too fixated on the "no-go area" thing - the OP even clarified. It wasn't meant literally.
    I was defending O'Connell Street on that other thread, and I don't agree at all with the stuff about Dublin being a dreadful cesspit; that's rubbish IMO. But Ballybough looks like a pretty tough and run-down area - I wouldn't choose to live there. Fairview seems grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It seems like you're too fixated on the "no-go area" thing - the OP even clarified. It wasn't meant literally.
    I was defending O'Connell Street on that other thread, and I don't agree at all with the stuff about Dublin being a dreadful cesspit; that's rubbish IMO. But Ballybough looks like a pretty tough and run-down area - I wouldn't choose to live there. Fairview seems grand though.

The OP retracted the comment after they were called on it. But kinda hard for the offending responding poser to know that before the fact.

Ballybough might appear too tough for your sensibilities, but that doesn't actually rule it out for lots of other people, or make it a 'no-go- area. Parts of Ballybough are noticeably gentrified for what it's worth, so its a mixed bag on the 'tough' front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Leaving aside your other nonsense who the hell goes to London and as a first thought says "We should visit Brixton"?

We are talking about the center of Dublin - it's business center and it's tourist center not some off shoot dodgy suburb. Visitors, whether overseas or from down the country, are exposed to the worst of the city as soon as they hit our main street.

Are there junkies, toerags and drunks milling around outside Westminster, Buckingham Palace or Canary Wharf?

Bloody well sure there isn't. In London the police presence is real and visible. They have no tolerance of the nonsense that goes on in our city in important locations. And they don't put a battery of methadone clinics in those areas either.

It is NOT acceptable.

I visit Brixton every time I'm in London. The craft beer bars, outdoor markets and genuine music venues make it a much better proposition than wading through crowds of tourists in Oxford Circus all day. It has yuppified substantially over the last few years though

Dorset St is not the center of Dublin in any of those ways?!? Maybe you should stick to the southside kermit, might keep your blood pressure down.

The OP retracted the comment after they were called on it. But kinda hard for the offending responding poser to know that before the fact.

Ballybough might appear too tough for your sensibilities, but that doesn't actually rule it out for lots of other people, or make it a 'no-go- area. Parts of Ballybough are noticeably gentrified for what it's worth, so its a mixed bag on the 'tough' front.
    My sensibilities? No I'm not a snob or overly sheltered.

Reverse snobbery is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭maticm18

not the best one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

It is NOT acceptable.

Voted 2nd friendliest city in the world by Rough Guide. Tourist really don't seem to view the city in the same negative way you seem to. And when has Dorset Street been the business and tourist hub of Dublin?must have missed that announcement!

Also don't think following the social policy of the UK is a great idea, what with them all but criminalizing their unemployed and forcing them to use food banks in order to survive, and using spikes and hosing down areas to prevent people unfortunate enough to be homeless bedding down for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Totally agree Smellmepower.

Voted 2nd friendliest city in the world by Rough Guide. Tourist really don't seem to view the city in the same negative way you seem to. And when has Dorset Street been the business and tourist hub of Dublin?must have missed that announcement!

Also don't think following the social policy of the UK is a great idea, what with them all but criminalizing their unemployed and forcing them to use food banks in order to survive, and using spikes and hosing down areas to prevent people unfortunate enough to be homeless bedding down for the night.

I am not talking about Dorset St only obviously. I am talking about the whole city center.

Head in the sand Dubs keep bringing up that survey. No one actually believes that.

Let me ask you a simple question.

Do you think that the city center, our capital city, is in an acceptable condition, is well policed and a pleasant environment? Yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Voted 2nd friendliest city in the world by Rough Guide.

They obviously didn't visit Dorset St.

Man in ‘critical condition’ after he was assaulted in Dublin

The attacker took off his t-shirt and hoody top before he assaulted victim

Thu, Sep 25, 2014, 21:59

A man is in a critical condition after being assaulted in the middle of a busy Dublin city street on last night.
    His attacker took off his t-shirt and hoody top before attacking the man and then put them back on again before walking away from the scene.

The assault took place in the middle of the road on the city’s Aston Quay at about 9.30pm.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-in-critical-condition-after-he-was-assaulted-in-dublin-1.1942039

And as usual no gardai. Scumbag fecks off. No consequence. If that happened in ANY British city center that guy would not have had a chance to put his uniform back on and walk off never mind go out in to the middle of a busy city center street and assault someone.

This is happening day in, day out in the north inner city. Maybe we should post a story a day from now on just to prove what a joke policing is in the city center.

But according to some this happens everywhere and sure it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Day in day out? I walk through the north inner city every day and have never seen anything like this (and yes, this includes NCR, Dorset Street, Gardiner Street, Talbot Street) and that includes a fair few nights as well. Never mind that the particular attack that you refer to actually happened on the south side.

Can you clarify what you mean by this wouldn't happen in any British city. That he escaped? Or that he had time to put on a uniform? Fairly ridiculous statement anyway.

• Advertisement

Day in day out? I walk through the north inner city every day and have never seen anything like this (and yes, this includes NCR, Dorset Street, Gardiner Street, Talbot Street) and that includes a fair few nights as well. Never mind that the particular attack that you refer to actually happened on the south side.

Can you clarify what you mean by this wouldn't happen in any British city. That he escaped? Or that he had time to put on a uniform? Fairly ridiculous statement anyway.

Dont waste your time, the chap obviously has issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: folks, there's still a lot of bickering and personal sniping by too many posters going on despite a previous mod warning. Cut it out please.

Advertisement