Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I change the Recovery Partition to Drive letter "M"?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    So original HDD is near the end of it's days. "Too many bad sectors" is the error I get when run a check on it. Doesn't boot into Windows. So, I made an image of the Recovery Partition, and put it onto a new HDD.

Unfortunately, when I boot up the recovery program off the CD, it doesn't see the partition under "M", but instead under "E". Highly annoying. Have installed a temp (unactivated) version of Windows, and installed some program that makes it come up as "M" in the Windows, but it still comes up as "E" when I boot the recovery disc.

So, anyway to force it to be seen as the "M" drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hrm. Seems Diskpart via the "Command Prompt" on the repair Console may be my way out :D

Nope, bah. Listed the Recovery Partition as M in Diskpart, ran the Recovery Management, but it inputed a 99.9MB "System Reserved" volume as "M", and pushed what I had selected as "M" to "N". Bah.

Uh. Crisis averted. Even though I had put in the OA serial when installing Windows, it still inserted a random OEM code, but when I put the OA again, it activated okay. Would have preferred the other way, as now I have to install all the crap back on :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

No wonder your post count is high...:)

Advertisement