Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP Laptop - "plugged in, not charging"

Options
  • 20-09-2014 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I've got a HP Pavilion G6 Windows 8 laptop which is only a year and a few months old.

I had a problem with the battery a while ago where it wouldn't charge 100% and at times would show "not charging". This was fixed by simply doing a hard reset.

Now in the last few days my laptop died out and will not turn on now unless it's plugged into the adapter. It was stuck on 60 something per cent charge and when you mouse over it it says "plugged in, not charging". Now with every day the per cent goes down one...for example there is 57% on it now as a I type.

I did a battery check on HP Support Assistant which said that the battery is fine but needs to be calibrated but sure I can't do that unless it's charged to 100%.

Soooooooo.... I'm asking how the hell can I fix this problem and actually get the battery to charge?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

Sometimes batteries die :(

Solution : Buy a new battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

liamo wrote: »
    Sometimes batteries die :(

Solution : Buy a new battery.

Afraid I'd get that answer like!

How would I go about buying the correct battery for my laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Afraid I'd get that answer like!

How would I go about buying the correct battery for my laptop?

You can order a cheap one on eBay for about 20e, it will last about a year or alternatively you can spend three times than on an official one that should last longer. Search the model number on eBay and you'll find them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Would be great if you knew someone with a similar laptop , and put their battery into yours, to check for definate that it is the battery.

Or even do it the other way around , where you put battery in someone elses laptop.

Would be a disappointing to buy a new battery and discover you still have same problem .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

If the charging light is coming on its most likely the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Planned obsolescence.
    You'll find there is nothing wrong with the cells in your battery. its the controller thats telling the computer not to charge it anymore - so you go out and buy a new one.
    look up ways around this on google.

NGC999888 wrote: »
    Planned obsolescence.
    You'll find there is nothing wrong with the cells in your battery. its the controller thats telling the computer not to charge it anymore - so you go out and buy a new one.
    look up ways around this on google.

Care to expand on that? I know very little about the inner workings of laptops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭NGC999888

Care to expand on that? I know very little about the inner workings of laptops etc

Good thing there is google then i guess.
    I'll even type in the words for you.

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=planned%20obsolescence%20laptop%20battery

NGC999888 wrote: »

Ah cheers. I didn't realise planned obsolescence was the actual thing you were refering to I thought it was some fancy term completely unrelated to the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭whizbang

Its not a great conspiracy theory going on here..
    Its just safety. maybe a little over the top safety, but nothing else.

Can you get this to work, with or without power plugged in?
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03325217

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your battery is actually made up of 4 or 6 of these:
    0.jpg
    What can happen is you get one bad cell that dies and then the whole pack stops functioning.

It could also be a dead charging circuit in the mobo though, G6s arent too uncommon, I'd try and track down another one to determine whether its battery or laptop as above.

Advertisement