Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone or Refurb??

Options
  • 20-09-2014 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hi guys probably a silly question but how can you tell if the replacement "new" phone you get is actually new or a refurbished one?? The reason i ask is i am waiting on a phone to be replaced "new s4, cant be got fixed" and was telling a friend my story and he said much the same thing happened to him but they sent him a refurbished phone not a brand new one.. is this true or BS??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

loveta wrote: »
    Hi guys probably a silly question but how can you tell if the replacement "new" phone you get is actually new or a refurbished one?? The reason i ask is i am waiting on a phone to be replaced "new s4, cant be got fixed" and was telling a friend my story and he said much the same thing happened to him but they sent him a refurbished phone not a brand new one.. is this true or BS??

they are generally phones rejected by networks because they have cosmetic damage to housing which have had housings replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

aimee1 wrote: »
    they are generally phones rejected by networks because they have cosmetic damage to housing which have had housings replaced

Is this normal with all faulty new phones being replaced under warranty??.... and if so how do i tell and must i accept it as the phone that is faulty is only a month old:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is this normal with all faulty new phones being replaced under warranty??.... and if so how do i tell and must i accept it as the phone that is faulty is only a month old:(

Normal practice. They have to replace like with like, so they won't give you brand new if it's a month old.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Normal practice. They have to replace like with like, so they won't give you brand new if it's a month old.

but the phone has being faulty from out of the box so I could go theory get a older phone than the one I had. it has being away 3 times and can't be fixed its gone. two weeks now and when I rang to see what was keeping it so long I was told that phone fix I think it is in Dublin have none in stock and are waiting on ones to come in. I find it hard to believe that they don't have a stock pile of phones in stock or is this normal two?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Different networks have different rules for when they replace etc. By law they can offer repair, replace or refund.

o2 use to haveaa swap out service for any phone in the first 12 months. Just go instore and swap for a similar model which was a refurb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭dan786

Davy wrote: »
    Different networks have different rules for when they replace etc. By law they can offer repair, replace or refund.

o2 use to haveaa swap out service for any phone in the first 12 months. Just go instore and swap for a similar model which was a refurb.

If it was faulty on day 1, you are entitled to a full refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Davy wrote: »

O2 haven't had that service in years, while it was a great service they were taking a massive hit with non warrant issues getting swapped out.
    OP there's generally no issues with refurbished handsets as they get serious testing before being given out, my own opinion but it wouldn't bother me. Unless the phone was faulty straight out of the box and being exchanged there ane then.

Declaration of interest; I work for one of the mobile networks but I'm only posting my own opinions here.

Well update here phone gone two weeks last wed gone by and still now/new/replacement. WELL pis##d at this stage have being on to the vodafone store and vodafone itself talked to this one and that promised the sky the moon and the stars and still nothing so at the very earliest it will be next week before i get one that will be near 3 weeks and not even a loan phone from the shop as they said all were out and had none to give me

Advertisement