Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Broke - Refund, Replacement or Repair?

Options
  • 20-09-2014 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

A phone bought just over 1 year ago has developed a fault for a 3rd time, this particular fault being different to the two previous occasions.

This included a 1 year warranty but I purchased an extra two year warranty (not too sure why) but at least that means the fault should be covered under the additional warranty.

I would prefer a refund basically because it's the third time and the phone is a pile of dung but the retailer's policy on their website suggests refunds are only issued if returned within a 14 day period of purchase with original receipt.

So really, what I'm asking is, what are my chances of getting the refund?

Ps. This particular retailer is an Australian electrical retailer....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You first need to check the seller (and therefore the responsible entity) is the electrical retailer and not another company (a mobile phone retailer) operating in-store in partnership, check the name on the sales receipt.

Forget the company's 14 day returns policy for this situation, that's really only relevant for situations where you buy something only to change your mind later. Your statutory rights supersede any shop policy and in your case, with 3 repairs, I'd say you're on good ground for a refund on the basis that the device is not of merchantable quality. Normally a refund would be reduced proportionally since you've had the phone for over a year but in this case I think you should seek a refund of the full purchase price as 3 returns in 1 year is totally unreasonable imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DivanMan

slimjimmc wrote: »
    You first need to check the seller (and therefore the responsible entity) is the electrical retailer and not another company (a mobile phone retailer) operating in-store in partnership, check the name on the sales receipt.

Forget the company's 14 day returns policy for this situation, that's really only relevant for situations where you buy something only to change your mind later. Your statutory rights supersede any shop policy and in your case, with 3 repairs, I'd say you're on good ground for a refund on the basis that the device is not of merchantable quality. Normally a refund would be reduced proportionally since you've had the phone for over a year but in this case I think you should seek a refund of the full purchase price as 3 returns in 1 year is totally unreasonable imo.

It's 100% the electrical retailer who is the responsible entity. Absolutely certain on that one.

I've always found this particular store fine to deal with so I'm hoping there'll be few problems in getting the refund.

It has taken a few bumps and stuff over the year but I'm hoping it hasn't been the cause of the faults over that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yeah, I should have clarified my advice on a refund only apples if the phone was repaired for inherent defects. If it broke through accident or other misuse then that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

slimjimmc wrote: »

That only applies if he bought it from an Irish retailer.
    The OP stated that it was an Australian retailer, so that doesn't apply, but whatever the Australian consumer laws are (check here www.consumerlaw.gov.au/content/Content.aspx?doc=home.htm )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

I think he was trying to tell us it was Harvey Norman. Personally I've found them great with returns. They swapped a faulty printer for me there and then for a dearer model and despite me offering to pay the difference wouldn't take the money.
    There's another post here this week too where someone who bought a chipped table there was treated very well by them.

OP - Explain your dilemma to the person calmly and I don't think you'll have a problem. As a business person myself I have to admit a refund is easier in most scenarios than suffering the embarrassment of a recurrent repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 DivanMan

desbrook wrote: »
    I think he was trying to tell us it was Harvey Norman. Personally I've found them great with returns. They swapped a faulty printer for me there and then for a dearer model and despite me offering to pay the difference wouldn't take the money.
    There's another post here this week too where someone who bought a chipped table there was treated very well by them.

OP - Explain your dilemma to the person calmly and I don't think you'll have a problem. As a business person myself I have to admit a refund is easier in most scenarios than suffering the embarrassment of a recurrent repair.

Went into their store in Naas this morning and they were brilliant.

They gave me a credit note straight away and the sales assistant I dealt with gave an incredibly honest opinion on the similar yet in his opinion inferior products available to me, in comparison to what I had returned. Was subsequently offered a full refund with no hesitation.

Really can't fault them on the service provided.

Advertisement