Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garmin 500 v 810

• 20-09-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a bundle... The price differential is about €200.... Is the 810 worth that much more or does the 500 provide as much as is needed???

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Power10 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a bundle... The price differential is about €200.... Is the 810 worth that much more or does the 500 provide as much as is needed???

Depends. I had the 500 and upgraded to the 810. I use it for solo cycling with maps and find it great.

The connect features are great as well for keeping the wife happy she knows where I am.

Not sure if i utilise the device fully but highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Power10

Looking for a home for the old 500...... ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

I bought the 500 plus pack 2 weeks ago (hrm and speed/ cadence ), sort of wish I went for the one with maps for solo cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I just upgraded my 500 for an 800. The 810 had too many options I wouldn't use so the 800 suited my needs better. I read a lot of reviews on the 800/810 and the connectivity of the 810 doesn't seem to be great, and I didn't want it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

jamesd wrote: »
    I bought the 500 plus pack 2 weeks ago (hrm and speed/ cadence ), sort of wish I went for the one with maps for solo cycling.
    You can still plan your route in the 500 and just follow the course. It is handy and I found it useful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Seweryn wrote: »
    You can still plan your route in the 500 and just follow the course. It is handy and I found it useful.

its only bread crumbs and still very easy to get lost. The 810 gives you turn by turn directions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

godtabh wrote: »
    its only bread crumbs and still very easy to get lost. The 810 gives you turn by turn directions
    True, but all you need to know is which turn to take at each junction, that is all. The little bread crumb is all you need to see where to go at junctions. I started using this function some time ago and it is good enough for following planned routes.

Seweryn wrote: »
    True, but all you need to know is which turn to take at each junction, that is all. The little bread crumb is all you need to see where to go at junctions. I started using this function some time ago and it is good enough for following planned routes.

I used it the whole time. Doing 100km + spins it's difficult to know each turn. Got lost plenty of times. Even with the 810 it routes you back to the course even if you take a wrong turn.

The 810 is a different beast to the 500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

From what I have seen most people just use the 500 to record distance/speed and maybe hr/cadence.

For the most part the remaining functionality is redundant.

While I'm sure 800/810 is lovely kit, does your average leisure/sportive rider actually need it?

A big part of cycling for me is getting away from everyday life. If your going for a spin from home, how lost can you get in a 100km loop? You might go further than expected, climb more than intended but also learn about so brilliant new cycling roads.

Quick look at a map before you go or not. Go enjoy the adventure. Because a technology is there doesn't mean we have to use it.

Even on holidays in Grand Canaria, Mallorca, Girona, alps, Sicily etc I've done 70-180km spins without any garmin.

A smart phone will allow your wife to track you is needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I have a 510. I like it. I recently purchased a new bike and forgot to swap the "out front" garmin holder from my old bike prior to it's maiden voyage. Instead, i switched the 510 on, chucked it in my jersey and off i went. I found it a pleasure not to have something distracting (I'm a bit of a tech-head) in front of me for the duration of what i see as a wonderfully-"organic" type of activity...

Being a tech-head, I got the 510 ahead of the 500 purely for the fantastic bluetooth functionality (so my wife can see where i am on a long ride and for uploading to strava instantly via my phone). Otherwise, with the knowledge i now have, i'd stick with the 500 and chuck it in my pocket, along with the savings :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

After numerous soakings my 705 is on its last legs and Ive opted to a get 500 as a replacement. I was thinking of the 800 +, but never used the maps/ navigation on the 705 so didn't see the point. Accurate logging of elevation, kms and speed is all I'm interested in, really. After a while you get to know the areas you cycle in and build up a list of fixed routes. On light tours a physical map is better, Ive found.

As much as I like shiney things, its not often they offer a real improvement. Sacrilege, I know :)

PS - the last thing I'd want is the missus knowing where I am on the bike !

ror_74 wrote: »
    After numerous soakings my 705 is on its last legs and Ive opted to a get 500 as a replacement. I was thinking of the 800 +, but never used the maps/ navigation on the 705 so didn't see the point. Accurate logging of elevation, kms and speed is all I'm interested in, really. After a while you get to know the areas you cycle in and build up a list of fixed routes. On light tours a physical map is better, Ive found.

As much as I like shiney things, its not often they offer a real improvement. Sacrilege, I know :)

PS - the last thing I'd want is the missus knowing where I am on the bike !

I'll find some topic where we disagree soon!

To quote Bukowski "two old timrrs agreeing on too much".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

I have a Garmin edge 200 and sorry for going off topic op but would it be worth upgrading to the 500 over the 200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Apologies, as well, for going off thread, but can someone point me in the direction of an app. for my smart phone(android), that my wife can track, in real time, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Apologies, as well, for going off thread, but can someone point me in the direction of an app. for my smart phone(android), that my wife can track, in real time, please.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greenalp.realtimetracker2&hl=en

That seems to do the job, not tried it myself though!

Inquitus wrote: »
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greenalp.realtimetracker2&hl=en

That seems to do the job, not tried it myself though!

I've used this on a Samsung 3 when using mtb off road at night during winter.

It works for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I found the 500 breadcrumb route not to be very good. I used it a fair bit and was never happy with it. Plus my 500 often used to tell me I was off course, even when I was definitely on it (only road for miles..). Haven't tried the 800 yet as been too busy with kids/work to get a spin in, but I've followed the map on my commute and its looks good so far

Advertisement